Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 12:52 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,623,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Well yes, that was my point. Religion is a big power game. It stinks to high heaven (no pun intended).

To use an analogy: I'm not against female mafia bosses, but shouldn't we try to get rid of the mafia instead of complaining that too few women are mob bosses?
LOL I agree. hahahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 01:19 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,939,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Well yes, that was my point. Religion is a big power game. It stinks to high heaven (no pun intended).

To use an analogy: I'm not against female mafia bosses, but shouldn't we try to get rid of the mafia instead of complaining that too few women are mob bosses?
A closer analogy would be "Shouldn't we try to get rid of Italians in order to get rid of the Mafia?"

Old 02-21-2015, 07:22 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,434,896 times
..."have practiced bad fruitage."

Quote:
I am not sure what this means. It is an interesting coinage though.
Well thank you, but I would not state this to tickle ears. 'Fruitage' would be a figurative statement that indicates the kind of conduct or reputation a person might be known for, as you would not knowingly partake from a tree that also is known for its bad 'fruit'.

"...or any genuine spiritual guidance... spritual values."

Quote:
More stuff I don't understand. I have never seen a good explanation for the concept of 'spiritual', or how it can be guided...
Spirituality unlike physicality, relates to the spirit or soul. Spirit is what gives us our life force. There are persons that exist* without the need for physical bodies: Almighty God, Jesus, the Angeles and yes, The Devil and his minions that reside with and control earthly society for the time being.

To guide some one spiritually would entail educational study and counsel about matters that would concern the God or non-physical deity one would be serving. In the case with Christians, that would be Jesus father, Almighty God. Typically, this is done with the Bible serving as primary textbook.

*Think of how some invisible things exist without physical form: Electricity, wind, thought, gravity...

Old 02-21-2015, 08:17 PM

18,509 posts, read 9,185,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Spirituality unlike physicality, relates to the spirit or soul. Spirit is what gives us our life force. There are persons that exist* without the need for physical bodies: Almighty God, Jesus, the Angeles and yes, The Devil and his minions that reside with and control earthly society for the time being.

To guide some one spiritually would entail educational study and counsel about matters that would concern the God or non-physical deity one would be serving. In the case with Christians, that would be Jesus father, Almighty God. Typically, this is done with the Bible serving as primary textbook.

*Think of how some invisible things exist without physical form: Electricity, wind, thought, gravity...
Electricity, wind, thoughts, and gravity are most certainly physical. There is nothing "spiritual" about those things.

"Spiritual" or "supernatural" things are physical and natural things which we don't yet fully understand.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:20 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,623,512 times
Quote:
..."have practiced bad fruitage."

Thank you. I just had a Monty Python moment.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:39 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,068,471 times
Quote:
[b]

Electricity is the word we use to describe the movement of electrons. Although tiny, they are physical.

Wind is the movement of air, which is primarily nitrogen and oxygen. There are a few other things included, but we are still talking about molecules. Once again, tiny items, but physical.

Thought is a bit different. everything we know about thought indicates that it is the product of a living brain. While I cannot point to pieces of thought, I can point to its source and location. Thought appears to be an emergent property of brains, in the same way 'wet' is an emergent property of water, which is simply a combination of hydrogen and oxygen, neither of which we would describe as wet. Regardless, thought can be regarded as physical in that it is the interplay of chemicals in the brain.

Gravity. Once again, this is grounded in the physical. Gravity is a property of mass. No physical mass, no gravity.

Your analogy fails badly, in that you are trying to demonstrate a non-physical thing such as the spirit/soul by pointing to physical things, and claiming it is just like them. It isn't.

I don't find this convincing at all, and once again find myself mystified at the concept is spirituality. It is simply a label people place on things that don't exist, cannot be explained, yet seems to be valued by the religious for absolutely no good reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality