Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 07:30 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
That struck me too.

A non-theist can certainly instill in their children an ethical moral standard of behaviour based on the Golden Rule.

What else is required to live a decent, honourable life?
The Golden Rule; a religious concept. Next!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 07:59 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Let's be accurate. A religious, secular, and common sense concept. If you really want to take your stand on it being a religious concept, the eastern religions that predate christianity have precedence. Are you going to become a Taoist? Perhaps Buddhist?

Old 02-18-2015, 08:04 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Nah, that's just the snappy title. The philosophy of reciprocity has been part of communal living in every culture.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:32 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
You wish.

It's common sense.

A rare attribute in religion.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:07 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,442 times
Religion and wholesome values are not mutually exclusive. Also, religion in itself is not necessarily faith, but more the regular practice of a particular faith or belief as a way of life. With that said, we can see that many organizations have practiced bad fruitage. Religious or any kind of groups are never all bad. But many popular ones have promoted forms of worship that are based on ritualistic false teachings instead of providing genuine spiritual guidance, misused to control the lives of people for selfish objectives. They have been overly concerned with money collections and ornate houses of worship instead of spiritual values with members who are often hypocritical. Obviously, someone who loves righteousness would not want to associate with an organization that reflects cross-eyed values.

Last edited by Mr. Opinionated; 02-18-2015 at 09:18 PM..

Old 02-18-2015, 10:20 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
have practiced bad fruitage.
I am not sure what this means. It is an interesting coinage though.

Quote:
or any genuine spiritual guidance,

spiritual values
More stuff I don't understand. I have never seen a good explanation for the concept of 'spiritual', or how it can be guided.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:27 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Your premise is believe in religion or nothing.

Religion has been destructive and wrong. Religion treats women as chattel, not worthy of the pulpit. Religion is the value of OR ELSE.
If religion has been destructive and wrong, why do we want anyone (male or female) in a pulpit? Let's do away with the pulpits altogether.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:40 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:

Rather, a general notion so obvious all major religions embraced it - but it didn't originate there.

It can be found in the Code of Hammurabi, among the Ancient Egyptians, among the ancient philosophies of China -"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."--Confuscius - among many other non-religious sources.

Yeah, give religion a big pat on the back for not missing out on the glaringly obvious. You sound like one of those people who think that, if not for the Ten Commandments, no one would have ever figured out that murdering people and stealing their things is a generally bad practice.

Next!

Last edited by Unsettomati; 02-20-2015 at 12:35 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 12:16 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
If religion has been destructive and wrong, why do we want anyone (male or female) in a pulpit? Let's do away with the pulpits altogether.
I am not sure religion will give up the pulpit. Pat Robertson, et al like the power they have, and have become very wealthy telling gay people they are evil. It seems the antithesis of what Jesus stood for.

The pulpit is designed to make us small and the height designed for power. Much like a courtroom or police station. It is up to us, the little people , to realize the power ploy, and not be intimidated.

I think of the pulpit as a short person putting lifts in his shoes, and insisting his partner wear flats.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:35 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I am not sure religion will give up the pulpit. Pat Robertson, et al like the power they have, and have become very wealthy telling gay people they are evil. It seems the antithesis of what Jesus stood for.

The pulpit is designed to make us small and the height designed for power. Much like a courtroom or police station. It is up to us, the little people , to realize the power ploy, and not be intimidated.

I think of the pulpit as a short person putting lifts in his shoes, and insisting his partner wear flats.
Well yes, that was my point. Religion is a big power game. It stinks to high heaven (no pun intended).

To use an analogy: I'm not against female mafia bosses, but shouldn't we try to get rid of the mafia instead of complaining that too few women are mob bosses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality