Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which God do you trust?
The creator of all things aka God of Abraham. 3 60.00%
Power 0 0%
Pleasure 1 20.00%
Honor 0 0%
Wealth 1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 05:28 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,840,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Which basically is what he does if he wants a Cheeseburger. but, we do not believe He has any human attributes such as wants and needs.

We are put here for our own good. We will face many difficulties, some harder but all will face the maximum we can survive, long enough to determine if we will not allow them to cause us to make the wrong choices.
All of life is choices. We are only required to make the correct choices based upon our knowledge and ability to do so.

Our job is to be seekers and to not believe anything unless we our self has found reason to believe it.
Make that 'Good, sound reasons', and make it the job we gave ourselves, not one that we were put here to do, and I'll agree. The unspoken claim that there is some divine Plan for us and that being tipped over from wanting to believe to believing on the basis of some Holybook text or other is one I can't accept.

The instinct is there, I'll grant. That it is anything but a common human superstition is one I can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 05:36 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,727,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mater Salvatoris View Post
I want to clear this up. First of all, you have to understand that God is Who He is. He is the creator of time and space, therefore transcends these realities; consequentially He doesn't become old, He exists. He is not somewhere, He is everywhere. And of all this, He doesn't change. He is uncreated and doesn't belong in the reality of change. For example, He doesn't become happy, because his creatures are following his laws; nor do our praises and worships add anything to his grandeur. Keep this in mind.
Now, originally, when God created us ex-nihilo / out of nothing, He desired that we be happy forever. He provided all that our ancestors needed to be happy. However, Adam and Eve willfully broke the commandment of God through the temptation of the fallen angels {Also created}. Now, since a law was broken, reparation had to be made whence sufferings and evils in the world.
God doesn't wish evil upon us. Evil originates from the father of the lies, satan/the devil. Until the end of times, our duty is to fight lucifer with all our force.
You should take some time to ponder the difference between things you believe on faith and things you can give other people convincing reasons to believe. This post has lots of the former but I'm not seeing too much of the latter.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:03 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,150,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Make that 'Good, sound reasons', and make it the job we gave ourselves, not one that we were put here to do, and I'll agree. The unspoken claim that there is some divine Plan for us and that being tipped over from wanting to believe to believing on the basis of some Holybook text or other is one I can't accept.

The instinct is there, I'll grant. That it is anything but a common human superstition is one I can't.
I have no problem with that. I should have said that.

Originally Posted by Woodrow LI
Which basically is what he does if he wants a Cheeseburger. but, we do not believe He has any human attributes such as wants and needs.

We are put here for our own good. We will face many difficulties, some harder but all will face the maximum we can survive, long enough to determine if we will not allow them to cause us to make the wrong choices.
All of life is choices. We are only required to make the correct choices based upon our knowledge and ability to do so.

Our job is to be seekers and to not believe anything unless we our self have found good, sound reasons to believe it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will keep that in mind next time I say anything similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality