Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which God do you trust?
The creator of all things aka God of Abraham. 3 60.00%
Power 0 0%
Pleasure 1 20.00%
Honor 0 0%
Wealth 1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:59 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times

Advertisements

Wired to believe in a desert deity from the Canaanite pantheon? Bahahaha. No. That's like asking if I am wired to believe in Zeus or Odin. And while they're cool, I am most certainly not wired to believe in their supreme awesomeness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 07:00 PM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Jung did advance the thought there was/is a cosmic subconscious and that mankind has evolved with a yearning for a Creator/God/Being/Need/Something beyond themselves. If I have that all right, it has been awhile.
He believed in a "collective unconscious", an impersonal and universally inherited set of archetypes that is identical in each person. Not the same thing as "cosmic consciousness".

Old 07-24-2014, 08:01 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
I believe in the Creator of all things, the God of Abraham---Allaah(swt)

I believe we all are born free from sin and have an inborn desire to serve Allaah(swt) but we also have growing temptations to reap the fulfillment of our desires. We face an inner struggle that keeps leading us further from Allaah(swt) Some people even reach a point they no longer see him as the God of Abraham.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:54 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mater Salvatoris View Post
Famous St Augustine, Saint and Doctor of the catholic claimed that: "We are all wired for God, and hearts are restless until they rest in God." St Augustine claims that there are two types of God: created gods, and One Supreme Uncreated God, the God of Abraham. The created gods are four in categories: power, pleasure, honor, wealth. He argued that we humans beings who are also created tend to pursue the four created god incessantly. But the problem raised when these uncreated God fail to satisfy our deep desire for God.
So my question is: Who or which is your God? Have you found peace through pleasure, namely sex in our culture? Is your heart at rest when you became rich? Has the constant quest of power quench your deep desire for God? Did all the honors you got satisfy you?
Well, I'm finding it difficult to believe that Augustine said anything even remotely resembling your phrase "Wired for God" I wonder what he really said.

Your poll is very limited. It offers me in particular no real choice. Believe in God of the Bible, whatever that means, or some bunch of what looks to me like New Age gobbledy **** (oh come on, there is an age old word gobbeldyguk. I dont know the spelling of the colloquialism, but it is not a racial slur by any means. sheesh!), but nothing about love or master of the universe or aloof or long gone, off to the next creation project.

As for Augustine, he never stopped being a Manichean and his molding of Christianity into more conforming of that heresy he did major disservice to the message of Jesus. Never mind that he was the prime mover in bringing that hateful Book of Revelations into the canon of the Bible. Imagine where we would be today if the message of love rather than the message of hate filled misery had prevailed in that formative age.

In answer to your question, I think a case can be made that we humans are "wired" to look for something greater than ourselves. Define that "greater" as you choose.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:56 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I believe we all are born free from sin and have an inborn desire to serve Allaah(swt)
Well ... I don't.

I just don't. It's not there.

If we are to believe in something, I believe humanity is more than just a slave race created to serve an omnipotent God who doesn't need us for anything at all. Why wait for some fallible mortal to "serve" you when you can just will it to happen with your omnipotent superpowers?

I know this isn't really what you mean by "serve," but if I were omnipotent, I would not send a servant out to fetch me a cheeseburger, especially not a human servant who might come back hours later with a bag of Buffalo wings and say, "Oh ... uh ... isn't that what you wanted?" No, I'd simply create a cheeseburger.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:17 PM

50 posts, read 54,731 times
Actually, many scientists do think human perception often inclines many individuals towards 'supernatural' beliefs, though the specifics vary across different cultures. The reasons for this are complex, but much of it seems related to our tendency perceive patterns. While this ability is often useful, sometimes it can lead us to perceive causal relationships when none actually exist.

For instance... Often when I've been hiking in the mountains, the wind will circulate in a way that sounds like someone screaming in a high-pitch tone. Even though I know it's just wind, I can understand how someone might be inclined to think it's literally a ghostly wail.

Of course this doesn't mean such perceptions are real. It just happens to be one of many possible perception that seem spiritual/supernatural that can be explained in entirely physical terms. It's very likely virtually supernatural perception have a mundane physical explanation.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:28 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Well ... I don't.

If we are to believe in something, I believe humanity is more than just a slave race created to serve an omnipotent God who doesn't need us for anything at all. Why wait for some fallible mortal to "serve" you when you can just will it to happen with your omnipotent superpowers?

I know this isn't really what you mean by "serve," but if I were omnipotent, I would not send a servant out to fetch me a cheeseburger, especially not a human servant who might come back hours later with a bag of Buffalo wings and say, "Oh ... uh ... isn't that what you wanted?" No, I'd simply create a cheeseburger.
Which basically is what he does if he wants a Cheeseburger. but, we do not believe He has any human attributes such as wants and needs.

We are put here for our own good. We will face many difficulties, some harder but all will face the maximum we can survive, long enough to determine if we will not allow them to cause us to make the wrong choices.
All of life is choices. We are only required to make the correct choices based upon our knowledge and ability to do so.

Our job is to be seekers and to not believe anything unless we our self has found reason to believe it.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:55 PM

8 posts, read 9,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Well ... I don't.

I want to clear this up. First of all, you have to understand that God is Who He is. He is the creator of time and space, therefore transcends these realities; consequentially He doesn't become old, He exists. He is not somewhere, He is everywhere. And of all this, He doesn't change. He is uncreated and doesn't belong in the reality of change. For example, He doesn't become happy, because his creatures are following his laws; nor do our praises and worships add anything to his grandeur. Keep this in mind.
Now, originally, when God created us ex-nihilo / out of nothing, He desired that we be happy forever. He provided all that our ancestors needed to be happy. However, Adam and Eve willfully broke the commandment of God through the temptation of the fallen angels {Also created}. Now, since a law was broken, reparation had to be made whence sufferings and evils in the world.
God doesn't wish evil upon us. Evil originates from the father of the lies, satan/the devil. Until the end of times, our duty is to fight lucifer with all our force.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:26 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mater Salvatoris View Post
I want to clear this up. First of all, you have to understand that God is Who He is. He is the creator of time and space, therefore transcends these realities; consequentially He doesn't become old, He exists. He is not somewhere, He is everywhere. And of all this, He doesn't change. He is uncreated and doesn't belong in the reality of change. For example, He doesn't become happy, because his creatures are following his laws; nor do our praises and worships add anything to his grandeur. Keep this in mind.
Now, originally, when God created us ex-nihilo / out of nothing, He desired that we be happy forever. He provided all that our ancestors needed to be happy. However, Adam and Eve willfully broke the commandment of God through the temptation of the fallen angels {Also created}. Now, since a law was broken, reparation had to be made whence sufferings and evils in the world.
God doesn't wish evil upon us. Evil originates from the father of the lies, satan/the devil. Until the end of times, our duty is to fight lucifer with all our force.
You're kinda new to this Christianity thing, aren't you?

Or, at least new to the proselytizing-Christianity-on-the-interwebby-thing.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:12 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Don't forget everything else "St." Augustine said, the man was a "true" genius of the natural and supernatural and so on and so forth, after all. My Grandfather didn't like doing unsaintly things either, but I guess he never sought the fame properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality