Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 02:46 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times

Advertisements

I have the love of the Lord in my heart and what His Son did for us on the cross who believe in Him and thats all the evidence a Christian needs It is a heartfelt thing along with staying in His word and keeping the focus on Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 03:22 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
Despite his popularity and unquestioned existence, there is not the slightest bit of physical evidence to support a historical Jesus - no artifacts, dwelling, works of carpentry, or self-written manuscripts. All claims about Jesus derive from writings of other people. There occurs no contemporary Roman record that shows Pontius Pilate executing a man named Jesus.

In addition, there is not a single contemporary (ie secular) piece of documentation that mentions Jesus. All documents regarding Jesus were written well after the alleged life of Jesus by either: unknown authors, people who had never met an earthly Jesus, or from fraudulent, mythical or allegorical writings.

All reliable evidence for the historical actuality of Jesus Christ are purely hearsay.

hear·say

noun 1.unverified, unofficial information gained or acquired from another and not part of one's direct knowledge: I pay no attention to hearsay. (Dictionary.com)

Courts of law do not generally allow hearsay as testimony, and nor does honest modern scholarship. Hearsay provides no proof or good evidence, and therefore, we should dismiss it. Hearsay is just not reliable evidence - there is no way of knowing whether the person lies, or simply bases his or her information on wrongful belief or bias.

As for the question of whether or not the Gospels are a reliable source of Jesus' existence, hearsay again, presents itself. The problem with the Gospels is that we don't even know who wrote them, and furthermore, they were all written well after Jesus' alleged life. Even more problematic is that none of the original Gospels exist, just copies of copies.

Furthermore, many of Jesus' sayings, miracles, and his virgin birth, rising, and symbolic "son" identity, can all be traced back to earlier religions - namely Mithraism, paganism, Hinduism, and a host of other extremely old religious belief systems. It's as though the authors of the bible stole earlier religions' god figure, incorporating all of his qualities into Jesus.

There really is zero supporting evidence to suggest that Jesus Christ ever lived, died, and rose again. Because of this, I do not believe Jesus Christ ever existed. Quite possibly the early writers of what would become the bible were using symbolism and did not actually believe what they wrote to be true.

That said, I believe Jesus, as he is known today, is a complete and total fabrication and that his myth has continued on to become something that not only do people take literally, but worship.

What do you think?
I think u should do more research and look up a good book on the rules of evidence. Jesus is real and alive!

Old 11-11-2007, 03:44 PM

116 posts, read 282,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I think u should do more research and look up a good book on the rules of evidence. Jesus is real and alive!
As far as I can remember, the rules of evidence are:

Real, demonstrative, documentary, and testimonial.

None of these support the existence of the man-god Jesus.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:49 PM

149 posts, read 386,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
sorry i dont get it. you say his "unquestioned existance" and then your post explains he did not exist?
if he does not exist for you and his words are of no value to you.
why work so hard at something not to believe in?
i do not understand your post.
please tell us "the true path" so that we can understand.
obviously you have found something better, do tell us about it.
In referring to Jesus' unquestioned existence, I meant by the millions of people who consider themselves Christian, and don't take the time to research or question the basis of their beliefs.

Whether or not Jesus in fact lived is not questioned by anyone, despite the fact that there is not a shred of evidence to support his life.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:29 PM

613 posts, read 1,270,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
Interesting. I've provided a sum of evidence which essentially disproves Jesus, and none of the hardcore Christians have come in to defend their savior, Jesus Christ.
i don't believe you have...youve proved(mostly che) that their definitely is a lack of evidence supporting his existence ...but of course it may be impossible to disprove anyones exiistense..along with proving anyones existance...ill make up the person john doe...now try and prove whether or not he existed..besides that i told you i made him up

Old 11-11-2007, 06:20 PM

79 posts, read 195,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
i don't believe you have...youve proved(mostly che) that their definitely is a lack of evidence supporting his existence ...but of course it may be impossible to disprove anyones exiistense..along with proving anyones existance...ill make up the person john doe...now try and prove whether or not he existed..besides that i told you i made him up
Problem is no one really cares if "John Doe" exists.

Now, if you go a step further and say John Doe is the son of god and that we all should follow him, then we'll worry whether he exists/existed or not. But then it would not be our job to prove he doesn't exist, but your job to prove he DOES and he is who he is claimed to be.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:38 PM

149 posts, read 386,796 times
Quote:
You still keep missing the point. If ancient Egypian pharaohs have a plethora of evidence which demonstrates that they live, why doesn't Jesus?

For the amount of time, energy, money, and faith people invest in their religions, you'd think they'd demand more proof.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo_Montoya View Post
Problem is no one really cares if "John Doe" exists.

Now, if you go a step further and say John Doe is the son of god and that we all should follow him, then we'll worry whether he exists/existed or not. But then it would not be our job to prove he doesn't exist, but your job to prove he DOES and he is who he is claimed to be.
right but to claim john doe never existed...is just as blind as claiming he did....likewise with jesus..
his religious importance should be separated from this...
and i don't see a cause for worry whether he existed or not neither side can be proved so its pointless in itself...and also to someone who believes the only logical answer to this is that he didn't exist...christians are just believing in fairy tales anyways...making it pointless whether he did exist or not besides the spite of being told your going to hell....same way goes with christians..as they would believe youre wrong from the start because you don't believe in what they believe...
also i believe it might be true...that jesus could have been a metaphor..for an idea or..something..that people grew to accept in a literal sense..thus making it possible that though he might have never existed as a human...he might have existed in other forms....

Old 11-11-2007, 08:10 PM

79 posts, read 195,521 times
Quote:
right but to claim john doe never existed...is just as blind as claiming he did....likewise with jesus.
The claim is there is no evidence he ever existed. Such an important historical figure as the son of god should leave at least as much evidence as say, Confucious or King Tut.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo_Montoya View Post
The claim is there is no evidence he ever existed. Such an important historical figure as the son of god should leave at least as much evidence as say, Confucious or King Tut.
well you put those 2 statements together it claims that jesus never existed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality