Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 12:20 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times

Advertisements

Wonder. I'm specifically thinking of the definition of wonder here that means completely awe-inspiring, to admire, and to marvel at.

I almost posted this in the atheist forum as I think that theists can sometimes think of atheists as akin to robots with no emotion, always talking about rationality etc etc. I initially wanted to share with other atheists some of those moments in your life that fill you with marvel and awe. Moments where a theist would perhaps see god but an atheist would just appreciate for its wonder in its own right.
But then I think that atheists can be equally as judgemental, so I thought perhaps we could make this a thread that theists and atheists could share alike, without judgement and without proselytizing, arguing or generally lecturing to each other.

Please share some of your most awe-inspiring moments in life. All welcome to share and state your religion (or atheism) if you wish, or not, but please no proselytizing.

Here are mine:
1. Watching a total solar eclipse in France in August 1999. All the street lights went out in the middle of the day and all the birds stopped singing. Cast into darkness you could truly appreciate the size and wonder of the sun. I went specifically to see it.
2. Watching on TV the first time I saw film footage of a heart in that moment where it beats for the first time. The moment it turns spontaneously from a collection of cells into a beating heart. (I think the clip was part of a series called The Human Body but I've never been able to find the clip on You Tube.)
3. Seeing the Grand Canyon. One of the places that has made me truly appreciate the size and beauty of the earth.

Last edited by Cruithne; 03-29-2013 at 12:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 12:43 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
There are so many. Here's a few:

The birth of my sons - catching and releasing a 17-lb rainbow trout - opening my eyes after a near-drowning and seeing blades of grass as if for the first time - watching a beautiful naked woman sleeping - hitting a curve ball, on the nose - making a 150-foot cast to a lily pad and landing my lure atop it - being the only person on a lake under a full moon - the curve of a woman's breast - listening to fine music - following Ricky Gervais' train of thought - watching birds fly.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:12 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Haley's comet in 1986

Anytime I see the Northern Lights

Niagara Falls frozen 1949

Seeing the Great Nebula in Orion through my homemade Telescope

My first view of the "Rock of Gibraltar"

Seeing a whale

Watching otters play on a river bank

First time seeing a lion in the wild

Seeing my children, Grand children and Great Grand children for the first time

First time being in the Sahara Desert. Can't decide which I like more being alone out in the desert or being alone out at sea.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:34 PM

588 posts, read 796,411 times
I marvel mostly at things related to the visible universe such as the largest stars, neutron stars, and black holes. I also marvel at the work and thinking prowess of the most intelligent minds among us which allow us to witness the photos from satellites flying by Jupiter or landing on Mars.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:59 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,793,000 times
-Seeing the ocean on our visit to the southern coast of Maine.

-Hearing the Texas All-State Symphonic Band play Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture

Old 03-29-2013, 04:49 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Watching my husband doing heavy yard work in jeans and no shirt. The birth of my kids, each a different wonderful experience, specifically my sons first cry as it took many minutes and many nurses, I couldn't breath until he did. The Grand Canyon in winter, Marthas Vineyard at dusk, Victoria B.C. at dawn. Inspiring journey of rehabilitating my mother from a fully paralyzing infant state due to a stroke to no apparent side effects six months later, our closeness at that time was something unforgettable. A record setting haboob (large dust storm) coming straight toward my home while I was driving home, I barely beat it before it engulfed my home in dirt with visibility down to one foot. Growing my own food from start to finish. Life is so full of these moments I could take all day.

Nice thread!

Old 03-29-2013, 05:27 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
I am both sorry and perplexed to say that I have no stand out moments to report that rise to the level of "wonder" or exhilaration. Frankly I have only an intellectual apprehension that other people have these mountain-top experiences.

I was surprised at the fierceness of the love I felt for my newborn daughter, but that is not so much a "wow" experience as just a solid thing that's there. It's still there over three decades later.

I am content however with the ordinary. I had a very pleasant time tonight going out to dinner with my wife. It's a favorite haunt of ours, on a lake, and it was a ringside seat as rowing teams put their boats in the water to practice for competition. And the local Riesling was sublime. I will take a steady diet of pleasant over an intermittent diet of "oh my god!" any day.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

I had a very pleasant time tonight going out to dinner with my wife. It's a favorite haunt of ours, on a lake, and it was a ringside seat as rowing teams put their boats in the water to practice for competition. And the local Riesling was sublime. I will take a steady diet of pleasant over an intermittent diet of "oh my god!" any day.
For many people on this earth that would be an "OMG" moment.

Whenever I'm doing something like that I try and remember the millions of people on this earth who will never experience that simple pleasure. And, as a Christian, I try to stop in the middle of it, remember that there are many people who aren't so fortunate, and say an extra "Thank you" to God. It makes the pleasant.... miraculous. IMHO.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:06 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
For many people on this earth that would be an "OMG" moment.

Whenever I'm doing something like that I try and remember the millions of people on this earth who will never experience that simple pleasure. And, as a Christian, I try to stop in the middle of it, remember that there are many people who aren't so fortunate, and say an extra "Thank you" to God. It makes the pleasant.... miraculous. IMHO.
I also believe expressing gratitude is important - whether we do so to a Creator, Nature, or the whims of serendipity.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:25 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Reading Azimov on atomic structure.

First seeing Bagan with 500 ancient temples spread over the plain.

Hearing the opening of the Finale of Bruckner's 8th for the first time.

It is the realization of what what never expected. Macchu Picchu, was delight, rather than wonder, because I was expecting it.

Cracking the gospels was satisfaction in solving a puzzle, rather than wonder.

Seeing a huge fireball or an A380 pass overhead was pretty wonderful too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality