Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:37 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Wonder. I'm specifically thinking of the definition of wonder here that means completely awe-inspiring, to admire, and to marvel at.

I almost posted this in the atheist forum as I think that theists can sometimes think of atheists as akin to robots with no emotion, always talking about rationality etc etc. I initially wanted to share with other atheists some of those moments in your life that fill you with marvel and awe. Moments where a theist would perhaps see god but an atheist would just appreciate for its wonder in its own right.
But then I think that atheists can be equally as judgemental, so I thought perhaps we could make this a thread that theists and atheists could share alike, without judgement and without proselytizing, arguing or generally lecturing to each other.

Please share some of your most awe-inspiring moments in life. All welcome to share and state your religion (or atheism) if you wish, or not, but please no proselytizing.

Here are mine:
1. Watching a total solar eclipse in France in August 1999. All the street lights went out in the middle of the day and all the birds stopped singing. Cast into darkness you could truly appreciate the size and wonder of the sun. I went specifically to see it.
2. Watching on TV the first time I saw film footage of a heart in that moment where it beats for the first time. The moment it turns spontaneously from a collection of cells into a beating heart. (I think the clip was part of a series called The Human Body but I've never been able to find the clip on You Tube.)
3. Seeing the Grand Canyon. One of the places that has made me truly appreciate the size and beauty of the earth.
Nice thread my friend

Moments of wonder I have personally enjoyed include...watching my father hold his newborn grandchild in his hands and welcome him to the world, watching the feral cat I have worried over for 2 years bring her six kittens to me in a snow storm when she would previously not come within 12 feet of me though I had been feeding her for all that time, and knowing the power of a message from beyond the grave when it is meant to comfort a friend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 06:40 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,511,190 times

2. Seeing any and all images from the Hubble space telescope gives me a sense of wonder.

Last edited by baystater; 03-29-2013 at 06:55 PM..

Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,998,177 times
Seeing married couples who are still madly in love with one another decades down the road has been my number one as of late.

Contemplating stars and oceans

When I see people have "aha!" moments and then they take that and run with it

When I'm in the nursery or in post-partum and I see the way a father interacts dotingly and lovingly with his newborn child and his wife or the way a new mother embraces her role as Mother.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:04 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Being on a forty foot boat in forty five foot waves, but after three days it gets really uncomfortable, and hard to sleep....

Watching a whale feeding....

Or a hummingbird...

Old 03-30-2013, 07:17 AM

20,010 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
For many people on this earth that would be an "OMG" moment.

Whenever I'm doing something like that I try and remember the millions of people on this earth who will never experience that simple pleasure. And, as a Christian, I try to stop in the middle of it, remember that there are many people who aren't so fortunate, and say an extra "Thank you" to God. It makes the pleasant.... miraculous. IMHO.
Gratitude and perspective are very important; I simply don't feel obligated to have an emotional thrill response to it. It is important to appreciate it, and for that appreciation to be sustainable. The way I happen to be wired is "slow and steady wins the race". I don't care for a lot of oscillating around. I fully appreciated the experience I described and was fully aware that plenty of people's lives are a miserable slog utterly devoid of such experiences. I would rather savor the experience for a few days than have a metaphorical orgasm about it and then have to be seeking my next high.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:28 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Gratitude and perspective are very important; I simply don't feel obligated to have an emotional thrill response to it. It is important to appreciate it, and for that appreciation to be sustainable. The way I happen to be wired is "slow and steady wins the race". I don't care for a lot of oscillating around. I fully appreciated the experience I described and was fully aware that plenty of people's lives are a miserable slog utterly devoid of such experiences. I would rather savor the experience for a few days than have a metaphorical orgasm about it and then have to be seeking my next high.
LOL, not everyone is wired with high emotions mordant. To be honest, I could have an aw inspiring moment watching a Halmark commercial given the time of month it is as a woman. I think it's reliant on the individual. Not everyone gets a natural high. Slow and steady can be just as nice. Whatever floats ones boat, IMO.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:47 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
In my youth, it was sometimes said that we would never be able to see a molecule. The other week I saw a programme on sub atomic physics wherein a new type of microscope had a screen that showed ATOMS in neat white rows. That was the closest to wonder I have been in some time.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:02 PM

140 posts, read 132,838 times
The greatest wonder I've ever experienced was through a book - How to teach quantum physics to your dog!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality