Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Scientology to be a cult?
YES 96 96.00%
NO 4 4.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 01:27 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Mine is based on sound reason and verified fact. Nice piccie by the way. A cult is perhaps best classified with the rather wide range of personally prized beliefs that are based on inadequate or invalid data. I am tolerant of preachies and ranters, so long as what they are saying is sound, based on sound reason and sound evidence and to the point. Dawkinsers are, Fundamentalists aren't.

Definition of a Cult

And by the way, the Cult of Reason attacked not just churches, but PEOPLE WHO PRAYED AND BELIEVED IN THE GOD OF NICENE CHRISTIANITY. They were murderers just like the Crusaders.

As for God, I've said this a million time: "God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought, simple as that"-Joseph Campbell, "The Power of Myth"

God may be "simply" a metaphor for my own higher thoughts...and? It is a workable metaphor for my own mind, the origin of my consciousness at "worst" and a real supernatural being at "best". Either way, it is worth exploring and understanding.

Oh, and Reason is slavery if used to an extreme. Just as bad as Scientology of any other cult. No need to think for yourself, just let the silly "facts" do the thinking for you.

Why do I believe in God? Because I chose to. Existentialism: a dirty word as far as Dawkins witnesses are concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 01:19 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
And in my personal opinion Don Cheadle is light skinned and Will Chamberlain is a midget

First, I started off by saying $cientology is not a cult because of its beliefs, but because of its structure. There are a growing number of scientologist who have left the "church" and broken off as independents, still believing in the ideas of Scientology but not giving money to David Miscavige and his corrupt organization for knowledge that should be free.

Second, yes, my God is mythological...and?

Other people (Dawkins witnesses) hijacked the thread by saying "wahh!!! All religions are cults and I'm a whiny emo kid" blah blah blah.
To be honest, I just think your getting obnoxious with your many displays of insulting gifs and your rant is getting tired on me eyes but, you engage so I'll respond. I like a good gif and a good debate (don't get me wrong) but you are hyper giffing and ranting about atheists (I'm thinking maybe you had a bad experience with one). IMO I'm still not sure what you need from me to be satisfied. Atheists aren't bunched together unless done on purpose. It's like saying you hate all people who don't shop at Walmart. Those people may organize and together try to close down Walmart for harmful practices that relate to them but those people are just individual coming together for a purpose. They aren't bound by a reason for life, death or burdened soul, they aren't backed by a belief of rules by a God or higher power. Just individual ideas put forth to stop a direction and they have the freedom to do so in most cases but aren't bound to do so by faith or belief. It's a conscious choice.

Your rants are not really relating to this thread, I'd like you to narrow it down a bit. I'm still unsure why you damn Scientology when you yourself are clearly deemed a cult by other large religions. All, I might add, include corruption, every religion includes some amount of corruption. The propaganda was invented to close down the small shops (secs), it was planned to be effective at this. IMO, religion is run like a business, propaganda is effective. You believe it, others believe it but doesn't make it true. I don't believe it and although that is irritating to you it's the only true fact in our conversation.

Shoveling that same opinion of yours down my throat won't change my opinion, IMO you haven't presented anything worth changing it, quite the opposite. I'm not looking to change yours, if you hate atheists and think Scientology is a cult that's up to you ( you go ahead and rock that look! ). I only try to change direction of the religious when they want to back laws adherent to their religious beliefs, other than that who cares. FYI though, I'd pick a religion thats more calming. IMO, of course..

Your rant just makes me think you have a beef with atheists and those poor emo kids. Some do, not a lot I can do about it. I'd argue you further but I don't see any compelling reason. I just think you're ranting crazy crap and are angry for some reason. It happens. Life can be stressful. Speaking of, I'm off to my kick boxing aerobics class to release my stress. I'll think of you while I'm there. We're organizing today.............oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmm mmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Old 03-28-2013, 01:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
All religions are cults.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
To be honest, I just think your getting obnoxious with your many displays of insulting gifs and your rant is getting tired on me eyes but, you engage so I'll respond. I like a good gif and a good debate (don't get me wrong) but you are hyper giffing and ranting about atheists (I'm thinking maybe you had a bad experience with one).
First, I am tired of the nice apologists who are so polite. I am far from polite and say it as I see it: anti-theism is stupid. I think it may have an origin in the fact that all men who studied comparative religion (all except me, alas ) had no problem getting laid on a regular basis while science nerd eggheads (read: Dawkins and his followers) couldn't get laid if they were red carpets at the Academy awards. The result: hatred of the acid tripping mystic guy with a hippy or goth chick on each arm and his field of study. And thus the "new" atheism is born.

And I am NOT AGAINST ATHEISM. My issue is with anti-theism. Majority of atheist just don't care about religion...the Dawkin's Witnesses, on the other hand, who go on and on about "religion is stupid and anyone who believes it is dumb" blah blah are the loud and so convinced they have the truth that I feel compelled to give them the Gnostic Smack down.

Don't like religion? Just don't practice one. Simple as that.

Quote:
IMO I'm still not sure what you need from me to be satisfied. Atheists aren't bunched together unless done on purpose. It's like saying you hate all people who don't shop at Walmart. Those people may organize and together try to close down Walmart for harmful practices that relate to them but those people are just individual coming together for a purpose. They aren't bound by a reason for life, death or burdened soul, they aren't backed by a belief of rules by a God or higher power. Just individual ideas put forth to stop a direction and they have the freedom to do so in most cases but aren't bound to do so by faith or belief. It's a conscious choice.
I am not saying anything about atheism, but the "new" atheism or anti-theism, which IS a system of belief...the belief that religion is bad and should be done away with. That is an opinion, and an idiotic one at that.

That very belief is manifest here, in the form of "scientology is a cult but so is every other religion"

Why not just answer the question?

Quote:
Your rants are not really relating to this thread, I'd like you to narrow it down a bit.
See above. Emo kids say "all religions are cult, not just scientology" and I reply that that is not the case.

Quote:
I'm still unsure why you damn Scientology when you yourself are clearly deemed a cult by other large religions. All, I might add, include corruption, every religion includes some amount of corruption.
...for the tenth time...INCONVENIENT FACT ANTI-THEIST IGNORE NUMBER 52: It is possible to be a Wiccan, from conversion to death, and be a good one without ever meeting another Wiccan or joining a Wiccan organization and one is expected to write their own Holy Book (book of shadows) and be their own priest. So...how is that "a cult"?

And corruption is everywhere, not just in religion. Governments are corrupt too...should we all be anarchist as a result?

And scientology does not have a corruption problem as much as it is they are ruled by corruption and there is no accountability. The pope can be blasted by the Cardinals and anything that happens in the Holy See is exposed...David Miscavige runs things with no oversight and no one knows what's going on.

Also, "larger" religions do not consider Gnosticism to be a cult. No big single leader with a personality cult, no isolation from the general public and all the other marks of a cult I've linked but people ignore. They may say I am a heathen, heretic etc but I have yet to meet anyone other than an anti-theist who thinks that my not being a member of any church or organization means I am a "cultist" just as bad as Scientology

Quote:
The propaganda was invented to close down the small shops (secs), it was planned to be effective at this. IMO, religion is run like a business, propaganda is effective. You believe it, others believe it but doesn't make it true. I don't believe it and although that is irritating to you it's the only true fact in our conversation.
Actually, Gnosticism is not belief. I do not believe the Myths to be true and am comfortable that it may well all be BS...AND?!

Quote:
Shoveling that same opinion of yours down my throat won't change my opinion, IMO you haven't presented anything worth changing it, quite the opposite. I'm not looking to change yours, if you hate atheists and think Scientology is a cult that's up to you ( you go ahead and rock that look! ). I only try to change direction of the religious when they want to back laws adherent to their religious beliefs, other than that who cares. FYI though, I'd pick a religion thats more calming. IMO, of course..

Your rant just makes me think you have a beef with atheists and those poor emo kids. Some do, not a lot I can do about it. I'd argue you further but I don't see any compelling reason. I just think you're ranting crazy crap and are angry for some reason. It happens. Life can be stressful. Speaking of, I'm off to my kick boxing aerobics class to release my stress. I'll think of you while I'm there. We're organizing today.............oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmm mmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Again, I have NOTHING against atheism. Don't believe in any religion? Fine...NOW CHANGE THE SUBJECT. Why oh why do Dawkins, Harris, Dennet and Hitchens (The four unicyclists or, now that Hictens's chunky butt has died the Three Stooges) spend so much time talking about what they don't do and don't believe? I have yet to read a book by an asexual about how awful sex is. I have never heard of a book by a soccer player that goes on for hundreds of pages on how awful baseball is.

Don't like it? DON'T DO IT. Simple as that.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:35 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
Quote:
They may as well be the way they cling to him and his "ideas".

And I do not believe 100% that God does exist as a literal being...but that makes me a "cultist" I suppose
Dawkin's ideas are not even new, so why do you think ANYBODY worships him? He just makes them easy to understand and has a scientific background to back up his claims with evidence. You WAY over-estimate how much people "worship" Dawkins... as if that was even the right word. We don't "worship" him any more or less than Penn Jillette, Carl Sagan or Christopher Hitchens. Does that make us polytheists now? Perhaps it makes you feel better to believe such nonsense so you can try to paint atheists as hypocrits when they're not? How convenient for you. Try a better argument against us next time.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
first, i am tired of the nice apologists who are so polite. I am far from polite and say it as i see it: Anti-theism is stupid. I think it may have an origin in the fact that all men who studied comparative religion (all except me, alas ) had no problem getting laid on a regular basis while science nerd eggheads (read: Dawkins and his followers) couldn't get laid if they were red carpets at the academy awards. The result: Hatred of the acid tripping mystic guy with a hippy or goth chick on each arm and his field of study. And thus the "new" atheism is born.

feel free to say it, feel free to say anything - it only represents you!
And i am not against atheism. my issue is with anti-theism. Majority of atheist just don't care about religion...the dawkin's witnesses, on the other hand, who go on and on about "religion is stupid and anyone who believes it is dumb" blah blah are the loud and so convinced they have the truth that i feel compelled to give them the gnostic smack down.

gnostic smack downs, Theists smack downs are nothing new, its better than the past when it could kill us. what exactly can i do about your opinion of atheist? I'm thinking not much. If the fact that we have an opinion now bothers you, you're not alone. If some atheist want to look up to a scientist, who cares? People like you i'm gathering. (hence the reason for the uprising and creation of anti-theists) imo.

I however am not anti-theist as you presume. I'm not thinking you'll believe that though, you seem pretty admittedly hostile toward the subject. So, like i said previously, you rock that look, have fun.

don't like religion? Just don't practice one. Simple as that.

as i said earlier, not as simple as that, has never been as simple as that. Did you study history in that class?.

I am not saying anything about atheism, but the "new" atheism or anti-theism, which is a system of belief...the belief that religion is bad and should be done away with. That is an opinion, and an idiotic one at that.
could be, but according to you so is scientology, and i'm pretty sure you have a very long list. Still just smells of rant to me but what ever floats that boat for you is ok for you. Live and let live. Rock the look you have and all that jazz.
that very belief is manifest here, in the form of "scientology is a cult but so is every other religion"
only to you but i see you are the authority, so, again - what can i do about that one?

[u]why not just answer the question[/u]? I'm assuming you mean the original question before your highjacking? I'll just go with that one and assume i'm correct.
I answered, yes, i think scientology is a cult but i think all religions are cults to give the op perspective on my answer. It would mean something different if i didn't explain the variables. If i just said yes, they might think i was religious, or maybe held a preference for a certain religion. I gave my opinion and i gave it with relativity. Why that bothers you i'm still trying to figure out but i think you just picked my door to enter.

see above. Emo kids say "all religions are cult, not just scientology" and i reply that that is not the case.
do you really know any emo kids? Most i know are religious actually. Emo just stands for emotional not anti-theist.

...for the tenth time...inconvenient fact anti-theist ignore number 52: It is possible to be a wiccan, from conversion to death, and be a good one without ever meeting another wiccan or joining a wiccan organization and one is expected to write their own holy book (book of shadows) and be their own priest. So...how is that "a cult"?

hm, well let's just say its pretty freaky to me, but most are and that's why i don't believe in them. Interesting to some others like you i gather, and general not held in high regard in the religious circle by mainstream religion or so i hear.

and corruption is everywhere, not just in religion. Governments are corrupt too...should we all be anarchist as a result?
if you feel like it - see corruption doesn't equal "cult" claps :d

and scientology does not have a corruption problem as much as it is they are ruled by corruption and there is no accountability. The pope can be blasted by the cardinals and anything that happens in the holy see is exposed...david miscavige runs things with no oversight and no one knows what's going on.

oh, yeah, i believe that one. Lol

also, "larger" religions do not consider gnosticism to be a cult. No big single leader with a personality cult, no isolation from the general public and all the other marks of a cult i've linked but people ignore. They may say i am a heathen, heretic etc but i have yet to meet anyone other than an anti-theist who thinks that my not being a member of any church or organization means i am a "cultist" just as bad as scientology

i'll just leave on this note:
the attempt to picture gnosticism as a mighty movement of the human mind towards the noblest and highest truth, a movement in some way parallel to that of christianity, has completely failed. It has been abandoned by recent unprejudiced scholars such as w. Bousset and o. Gruppe, and it is to be regretted that it should have been renewed by an english writer, g.r.s. Mead, in "fragments of a faith forgotten", an unscholarly and misleading work, which in english-speaking countries may retard the sober and true appreciation of gnosticism as it was in historical fact.
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Gnosticism

You're on this list - What is a Cult? - Resource Center - European American Evangelistic Crusades

Let Him Who Thinks Himself Strong Take Heed Lest He Fall
some good advice in here for you, all religious can be in danger of cult like ties to any religion. Even yours. Mainstream religion isn't safe from a cult atmosphere, either are gnostics. I've seen cult in all of them at one time or another depending. The mer act of paying for a god house, limiting your life for gods rules, and marrying within your denomination is cult like behavior. Nope, imo, none escape the title.

Actually, gnosticism is not belief. I do not believe the myths to be true and am comfortable that it may well all be bs...and?!

great, then we agree on something, sort of. It's all opinion, everything you've said, everything I've posted. Cult is in the eye of the beholder. Fighting this fact is useless. I can find an opinion on anything I desire, so can you, means absolutely nothing .

Again, i have nothing against atheism. Don't believe in any religion? Fine...now change the subject. Why oh why do dawkins, harris, dennet and hitchens (the four unicyclists or, now that hictens's chunky butt has died the three stooges) spend so much time talking about what they don't do and don't believe? I have yet to read a book by an asexual about how awful sex is. I have never heard of a book by a soccer player that goes on for hundreds of pages on how awful baseball is.

I've tried to change this subject but it seems you are contradicting your assumptions. You're like a dog on my pant leg. You are a theist writing a book on how awful atheism is. Nobody on this thread has said they worship Dawkins, only you. Go figure.

Don't like it? Don't do it. Simple as that.

I'm pretty sure as an atheist, I don't do it. And, its pretty simple until my birth control isn't covered because some theist bawled like a baby about it regarding his flying speg monsters hang up about it. But usually it's pretty simple. I only act up when superbeings fly in and try to take over the minds of the government. No worries. IMO, of course.

Last edited by PoppySead; 03-29-2013 at 12:49 AM..

Old 03-29-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Dawkin's ideas are not even new, so why do you think ANYBODY worships him? He just makes them easy to understand and has a scientific background to back up his claims with evidence. You WAY over-estimate how much people "worship" Dawkins... as if that was even the right word. We don't "worship" him any more or less than Penn Jillette, Carl Sagan or Christopher Hitchens. Does that make us polytheists now? Perhaps it makes you feel better to believe such nonsense so you can try to paint atheists as hypocrits when they're not? How convenient for you. Try a better argument against us next time.

Is this hypocritical, or is it just me? And does this guy NOT look like a crazy cultist?

The Trouble with Atheism (2 of 7) - YouTube

Old 03-29-2013, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I'm pretty sure as an atheist, I don't do it. And, its pretty simple until my birth control isn't covered because some theist bawled like a baby about it regarding his flying speg monsters hang up about it. But usually it's pretty simple. I only act up when superbeings fly in and try to take over the minds of the government. No worries. IMO, of course.

[/color][/b]

I will cut to the chase:

1) using a CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA to find a definition of GNOSTICISM is absurd. They have an obvious agenda. Same with using an EVANGELICAL "ANTI-CULT" SITE. Here is what another large religion says about Gnosticism: The Zennist: Buddhism and gnosticism

And it is not a "cult"...no single big head guy (like Scientology) no hidden agenda (what Xenu story?) no isolation from family, etc etc etc. Again, there are CLEAR DISTINCTIONS between a cult and a religion. Here we go again:
Quote:
Cults are typically defined by five characteristics. First, cults tend to centralize power in the hands of a single individual or small group that is considered beyond questions. Second, they treat all questions about the group and its beliefs as intolerable challenges to the group's authority and authenticity. Third, they demean all those who do not share their beliefs and sow fear and mistrust amongst their believers about all such people. Fourth, they typically cut off all or most opportunities for members to interact freely with those outside the group. And finally, they take revenge upon those who choose to leave the group, in ways which include, cutting them off from all relationships with those who remain inside, confiscation of material goods and even physical harm.
Source: On Faith Panelists Blog: Thin Line Between Religions and Cults - Brad Hirschfield (but I suppose the Washington Post is a "evangelical fundy rag" )

2) Find me one instance of anyone being massacred in the name of Gnosticism. Just one. Even when Gnostics had the numbers to do so (The Cathars and the Manicheans) they didn't...they were VICTIMS of massacres by the Catholics (who now have bad things to say about us...go figure ) but Gnostics themselves NEVER harmed anyone and they were some of the first people to embrace freedom of religion. Don't bother looking it up, you'll turn up nothing but monks and mystics, meditations and wanderings.

Anti-theism on the other hand...well...
Cult of Reason - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3) Fundamentalism is just a small fraction of religious people. Just as most atheist would not want to see churches burn and force children to repeat the Periodic Table of the Elements, most theists don't want their religion shoved down anyone's throats. If you haven't noticed the fundamentalist right in America is dying, all while 83% of people in America still believe in some kind of higher power.

4) Saying "all religions are cults" is frankly a statement of absolute ignorance and is something an anti-theist alone would say. Let me put it this way: someone posts a question asking "Is 50 Cent a dumb thug?" and you get a bunch of replies saying "all black men are dumb thugs." Is that anti-black? Okay...so you post a question asking "is Scientology a cult" and you get a bunch of replies saying "all religions are cults." Is that anti-religion (i.e., anti-theist?)

Old 03-29-2013, 03:29 AM

Quote:
I will cut to the chase:

1) using a CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA to find a definition of GNOSTICISM is absurd. They have an obvious agenda. Same with using an EVANGELICAL "ANTI-CULT" SITE. Here is what another large religion says about Gnosticism: The Zennist: Buddhism and gnosticism

And it is not a "cult"...no single big head guy (like Scientology) no hidden agenda (what Xenu story?) no isolation from family, etc etc etc. Again, there are CLEAR DISTINCTIONS between a cult and a religion. Here we go again:

Source: On Faith Panelists Blog: Thin Line Between Religions and Cults - Brad Hirschfield (but I suppose the Washington Post is a "evangelical fundy rag" )

2) Find me one instance of anyone being massacred in the name of Gnosticism. Just one. Even when Gnostics had the numbers to do so (The Cathars and the Manicheans) they didn't...they were VICTIMS of massacres by the Catholics (who now have bad things to say about us...go figure ) but Gnostics themselves NEVER harmed anyone and they were some of the first people to embrace freedom of religion. Don't bother looking it up, you'll turn up nothing but monks and mystics, meditations and wanderings.

Anti-theism on the other hand...well...
Cult of Reason - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3) Fundamentalism is just a small fraction of religious people. Just as most atheist would not want to see churches burn and force children to repeat the Periodic Table of the Elements, most theists don't want their religion shoved down anyone's throats. If you haven't noticed the fundamentalist right in America is dying, all while 83% of people in America still believe in some kind of higher power.

4) Saying "all religions are cults" is frankly a statement of absolute ignorance and is something an anti-theist alone would say. Let me put it this way: someone posts a question asking "Is 50 Cent a dumb thug?" and you get a bunch of replies saying "all black men are dumb thugs." Is that anti-black? Okay...so you post a question asking "is Scientology a cult" and you get a bunch of replies saying "all religions are cults." Is that anti-religion (i.e., anti-theist?)
All black men aren't thugs, IMO. All black men don't sell drugs or kill people. All religion started out as cults, new with small followings. The word cult started out meaning a system of ritual practices. It's been manipulated by large religions and become a slur on purpose. All religions have a common thread. You are asking me if all black men who sell drugs and murder people are what people think of thugs. There is a big difference there. To me all religion is cult like, depending on individual application. I explained this before. I think you don't really care what I meant, so I won't delve.

Now, your assumption that anti-religion means anti-theist isn't correct, religion isn't singular. Anti-theism, maybe. I don't think anybody is anti-theist or against any individual. Some people want to end religion, some just want to change it. Some want to update how one believes, add stuff, take some stuff away, manipulate it, make a new fangalled one, etc. New ideals on what religion should be happen all the time. I don't think the whole world is full of traditional Catholics anymore last I checked, nor is it full of traditional Muslims. Nope, hundreds upon hundreds of various religions spring up every year and have for ever. If cutting your head off if you aren't Catholic isn't cult like than I don't know what is. If drowning people who aren't Christian isn't cult like I'm an elephant. I think Scientology pales in comparison to Catholics, Protestants and Mormons when it comes to preventing members the freedom of choice over the years. Again, history class anyone, any takers? Try that freedom over there in Iran, let me know how it goes for ya.

Nobody ever said anything like anti-religion except you. I certainly didn't. I just don't believe in God, or the practice of ritual in line with a God, Gods or mystical beings. I personally think they all fall into the cult category. I never stated that others couldn't practice them, even if they are cults in my opinion. Practice away. Both good and bad come out of it, depending on the human involved of course and what you do, how you act, etc. You don't agree with atheists but I doubt you wish we didn't have the choice to not believe, right? Nor do I, I assure you. Two different things. I think you are still just picking fights. But, my opinion.

Let's put this another way. What takes the cult out of religion for you? When do they break the cult status? Free will? People interested in Scientology have free will. Size, they will be large soon enough. Why don't you explain why you don't think Mormons aren't a cult but do think Scientologist are? Which religions do you deem cults, and which don't you. Are you a cult expert? Do tell! Obviously you don't agree with the Evangelist because they think you are and that would be silly of you.

So, you're not attached to any mainstream belief? Just a general Gnostic for all? Why not become a Gnostic Scientologist and take the lack of freedom out for them? Then according to you they will be free from cult status. Alas, join the groups that are step up. They'd be thrilled with that I bet my last dollar.

Last edited by PoppySead; 03-29-2013 at 03:51 AM..

Old 03-29-2013, 04:00 AM

580 posts, read 965,078 times
Quote:
First of all, that diagram is bullocks. It basically presupposes that the person who believes it is a rationalist. Hate to break it to the "free thought" crowd, but there are indeed other schools of thought out there besides rationalism and/or positivism. I am an existentialist, so the whole "but that isn't rational" whine doesn't impress me. Rationalism is just as much a slave-thought mentality as any religious fundamentalism.

As for $cientology, it is a cult not because of the beliefs, but because of the secrecy and the corruption within its ranks. No religion has secret Mythologies available only to the upper-ups...the closest thing would be a handful of mystery cults of antiquity. Gnosticism was not like that, despite what some say today, as the Mythologies were readily available and they were just as evangelistic as the proto-orthodox church.

In $cientology, one has to pay thousands of dollars to learn the story of "Xenu" and aliens and volcanoes. In Christianity, they tell you the story of Genesis on day one.

In $cientology, you have to pay more money to advance further into the religion. I have never heard of their being a required payment to go from first communion to confirmation. I have never heard of a Buddhist temple charging for the precepts. Every real religion is more than willing to accommodate less privileged believers, but $cientology isn't.

And then there is the classic hallmark of a cult, the "shunning" of those who disobey the cult's doctrines and disagree with it. And yes, some Christians would do that but that is no official policy of any Christian church with the exception of the Amish, who are very close to a cult, I agree. Also the Baha'i use to shun, but they don't officially practice that anymore.

So scientolgy is indeed a cult, and a dangerous one at that...and spare me, SPARE ME the old "all religions are cults" line that you would expect from a whiny emo kid. If there is no mind control, no shunning, no "us vs them" mentality and no requirement to break off from family and the outside world, no dictates of financial contribution (tithing is guidelined, not demanded on pain of being forced out) and no unquestionable leader, it is not a cult.

I have heard some Dawkin's Witnesses actually sit there and argue that Wicca, in which the believer is their own priest and expected to write their own holy book (book of shadows) is a cult

And all the while they ignore the "Dear Leader" pictures of Dawkins on his website and don't question his teachings Pot, meet kettle.
Your definition of cult is what I think of when I hear the word cult. Cults indoctrinate and proselytize. They force people to believe what they believe threatening to expel members who go against them (sometimes they do worse). They basically brainwash people.

Regular religions don't do that sort of thing. The good ones (members and organizations) evangelize. The adherents preach to people outside their religion in hopes of gaining converts. Conversion (except in some historical instances) is totally by choice. If the person does't want accept that particular message they move on to others who do. As it says:

Matthew 10:14 – “Whoever will not receive you or listen to your words – go outside that house or town and shake the dust from your feet.”

Scientology is definitely a cult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality