Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:06 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,195,631 times

Advertisements

Well, I've been described as looking like a gorilla, so I suppose I fit the Neanderthal image as well - I was much like 415_s2k when I was leaner.

Just for grins: gen 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 09:15 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,908,456 times
I also have this inexplicable urge to smash things with a club or throw them when confronted with adversity and grunt when thinking Nah. But it is certainly interesting to think of.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:24 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,155,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I also have this inexplicable urge to smash things with a club or throw them when confronted with adversity and grunt when thinking Nah. But it is certainly interesting to think of.
The Neanderthals were probably more civilized than we give them credit for. They were probably too peaceful to compete with our homo sapien ancestors

Old 03-17-2013, 09:43 PM

33,597 posts, read 37,240,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The Neanderthals were probably more civilized than we give them credit for. They were probably too peaceful to compete with our homo sapien ancestors
I think you may have hit the nail squarely on the head...Homo Sapiens has to be the most violent creature to ever inhabit the earth....It is ironic that one of our cousin species, the Mountain Gorilla is one of the most peaceful.

Last edited by sanspeur; 03-17-2013 at 09:51 PM..

Old 03-17-2013, 09:46 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,944,847 times
Default What? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtango View Post
Neanderthals died out because they were unable to hunt small game!!!

There is no way that climate can be the cause of the Neanderthals’ extinction.

First of all, it is the cause of the Near Eastern Neanderthals’ extinction that has to be found first, because they disappeared by approximately 50,000 years ago (when Hss arrived in the Near East).
Secondly, Neanderthals were living in Europe from approximately 250,000 to 30,000 years ago (their predecessors having lived there since approximately 650,000 y.a.).

In the diagram that follows it can be seen that at about 250,000 y.a. and 130,000 y.a., the temperature was the same as it is today. The Neanderthals had survived in the past conditions the same as those pertaining 30,000 y.a. and, besides, when they disappeared the temperature was falling, not rising.

Science is a serious business... but not all scientists are serious persons.
Actually, dtango, my past grudging respect for you is dwindling! I don't see where this particular study ever said that an inability to effectviely hunt small game was THE sole reason for anything. Your approach here is a typical tactic of the less-educated, those who try to swamp an argument with an even smaller argument!

Nope. Try reading it again, only this time with an open mind. It simply said that, as part of their overall evolved capabilities, the higher ability of a later, perhaps more dextrous species, changed the balance of power; essentatially the comparative ability of one species to hunt better than another.

Such seemingly minor changes can indeed have a long-term and measurable effect on the ongoing battle for ecological superiority and capability.

Again, such different abilities not THE ONLY FACTOR here, silly person!

I'm serious!

Old 03-17-2013, 10:26 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,004,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Interesting.

Another scenario I have read about is they were not very aggressive, made out of meat and the invading Homo Sapiens were meat eaters. I doubt if they had any qualms about tossing them on the BBQ grill.

Those that were not gobbled up snacks probably became interbred into extinction. I've read several theories that is the origin of red hair and blue eyes which are the most recent traits to appear in Homo sapiens.
I'm thinking you have about half of the answer. But, there's more to it. Mankind has a darker side that is generally kept in check by our society. But, some 30,000 years ago, none of the restraints existed. That darker side would have flourished.

Even with the social regulations today, we still have brothels, hookers, and human trafficking. And, I hardly think our ancestors from 30,000 years ago were that much different. So, in the end, you may find that Neanderthal was "HUNTED" into extinction. Males may have gone to the grill, but the desirable females would have been the ones that were interbred... And, the offspring would have been absorbed into the dominant social structure of the day. It would have been human trafficking without restraint. And, if you don't think that's possible, we need only look to the early days of this country. Human trafficking and slave ships were common.

Just as there were those that procured slaves from Africa, there would have been those that would have procured what was desirable 30,000 years ago as well. Killing, cannabalism, and sex slave trade would have gone unpunished. Mankind's darker side would have been free to operate.

So, Neanderthal, with poorer weapons and slower, would have been hunted, and may even have been easy prey. Some may have ended up on the table, rather than around it, but others would have been absorbed, through their offspring, into society. Neanderthal would have become extinct, and we would be carrying Neanderthal traits.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:02 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,004,671 times
It seems that Neanderthal found their last refuge in the Iberian Peninsula. After having flourished all over Europe, why did the last remnants of their species end up there as Cro-magnon spread over the continent? As Cro-magnon established a presence in an area, Neanderthal vanished. And, if current renderings of the likeness of Neanderthal woman is even close to accurate, I'd say it was very highly possible.

I doubt very much that we, in the modern age, have the market cornered on pediphiles and sex offenders. But, 30,000 years ago, there would have been little to hold them back. Meat on the grill, perhaps, but I suspect there was a bit more than that. The men would have vanished long before the women, one way or the other.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:10 AM

526 posts, read 694,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Actually, dtango, my past grudging respect for you is dwindling! I don't see where this particular study ever said that an inability to effectviely hunt small game was THE sole reason for anything. Your approach here is a typical tactic of the less-educated, those who try to swamp an argument with an even smaller argument!
A study led by biologist John Fa finds that the downfall of the Neanderthals was caused in part by their inability to catch rabbits.
For a joke it is really a very imaginative one.

The accursed Homo sapiens sapiens (white race to me) hunted down Neanderthals in the mountains where they had retreated for refuge exterminating them to the last one and you want me to consider the nonsense a biologist came up with in order to have his name heard?
I suggest that you read the two posts by The_windwalker, just below your own post, and then go to the bible and read what the race favoured by the God did to the Anakim and all the rest tribes of the Canaanite Nefelim. They hunted them down in all the mountains of Canaan and those whom they did not keep as slaves they exterminated. Read the accounts of Diodorus of how the Giants were killed, read the tales of the North American Indians and finally read Norse mythology and learn about Ragnarok.

I suggest you do not consume all the scientific rubbish that has been peer reviewed by biologists expert in all branches of science.
The usual excuse used to be: the murderers are not to be blamed. They passed mortal diseases to the victims and they died to the last one (they even dared to invoke contamination of diseases in the case of the Tasmanians). Now they found the rabbits’ alibi.

How come nobody came forward with an explanation for the extinction of the Near Eastern Neanderthals?

Old 03-18-2013, 01:12 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,195,631 times
I don't think Neanderthals were more peaceful than humans. Their usual way of hunting was to ambush the larger animals and spear, club, and tear them apart, iirc. We have at least one site where one group of neandertals did that to another group and cannibalized them very thoroughly. http://io9.com/5715409/murder-scene-...s-went-extinct

From what I remember of DNA studies, the evidence is that most crossbreeding was between neandertal men and human women. I'm guessing not consensual, but who knows.

I doubt they saw each other as completely different species, it would have been something like "the skinny people" and "the big ugly tribe".

Old 03-18-2013, 02:02 AM

33,597 posts, read 37,240,246 times
One wonders how the researchers deduced that it was another band of Neanderthals that killed and ate them, and not a group of Homo sapiens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality