Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,715 times

Advertisements

My wife and I both wrestle with this question. Before we get into this let me clarify the question. We're talking about situations where a child is taken from this world unexpectedly. What's the cut-off age that a child should make that descision. I personally believe that they will be saved through God's Grace and Love. The Bible does not seem to adress this question or perhaps, I simply do not know where to look. I have some other thoughts, but we'll see where this goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 07:42 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,229,313 times
Don't worry about it. I think God will take care of His children, both young and old, in anyway he sees fit. I doubt that the calendar year of the child birth has anything to do with it.

Remember that if a denomination makes a rule about something, it is a Man made rule. I don't think there is anything in the bible that says God has to abide by what Man thinks is right and proper.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:08 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,304,784 times
Default Children...

The Bible does not explicitly state that there is "an age of accountability" which most Christians believe. However, I think it strongly implies that there is. I know that in at least two places in the scripture where God refers to the Jews' children in something like this manner "your little ones who this day do not yet know right from wrong." I think that phrasing right there alludes to an "age of accountability." (I am unable to look the exact references up right now. Maybe I can post them later.)

Also, when King David loses his infant son (the child Bathsheba conceived with him) he states something like, "He shall not come to me, but I will go to him." He could just mean the state of death, but the context seems to imply that he is speaking of Heaven. Also, Jesus is very tender towards young children. Another evidence that He would not permit them to be lost.

Ok, if you accept that there exists an "age of accountability" then what is it? We don't really know. Most Christians believe it varies according to the maturity level of the individual.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:30 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,283,521 times
IMO, a person becomes accountable when God calls them... and this may be at vastly different ages.. As far as when they would be saved or lost when they died after receiving God's call, and before accepting Him, only God can judge.. IMO, many situations would factor into this: Was the person still wrestling with making the decision? Was the person not realizing fully that God was calling? Or had the person repeatedly rejected the call (this, IMO, would be evident in the person's life)? Again, God only knows the heart and will judge according to knowledge and true accountability.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:15 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,481,433 times
It's a big hastle because you have to go and get spiritual ID cards for them in case this were to happen. Do you have any idea what that's like? You have to go wait in line with a bunch of people who smell funny and speak no english. Then you get to the counter and the people working there are so rude and unhelpful, often turning people away for the dumbest of reasons in a short snappy tone. When it finally comes to take the test you're nervous because you've waited in line for so long and dread this place so much, that you realize failing it would mean another day wasted at this horrible place. So you go ahead take the test, pass it, and then they get the ugliest picture taken of them. ALL OF THIS, just to prove that they are under the age of consent for accepting Christ. Or, you could just live life and not worry about it

Old 10-17-2007, 06:21 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,593,763 times
Deuteronomy 1:39-Moreover,your little ones who you said would become a prey,and your sons,who this day have no knowledge of good and evil ,shall enter there,and I will give it to them,and they shall possess it.

Children should be obedient to their parents and when they realize the difference between right and wrong,should they be held accountable.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:49 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,304,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Deuteronomy 1:39-Moreover,your little ones who you said would become a prey,and your sons,who this day have no knowledge of good and evil ,shall enter there,and I will give it to them,and they shall possess it.

Children should be obedient to their parents and when they realize the difference between right and wrong,should they be held accountable.
Thanks, noland. That was one of the times I was thinking about it where this was mentioned I think there is another passage too which similarly relates.

Last edited by kaykay; 10-17-2007 at 06:58 PM..

Old 10-17-2007, 11:12 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,128,326 times
Quote:
13Then little children were brought to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked those who brought them.
14Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." 15When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there.
Matthew 19 (New International Version)

Old 10-18-2007, 06:32 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,340,817 times
Since the Catholics got rid of Limbo, there's no place for those little pagan babies and souls to go.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:02 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,229,313 times
Since many of our posters believe that they will be united one day with their loved ones, doesn't that somehow mean that they will also be with those that for some reason did not hear the call?

Can you accept that a merciful God would condemn innocents because they simply had missed the opportunity to learn about Jesus? It happens you know. People are brought up in all sorts of homes outside of what most would consider Christian Communities. There would be no opportunity to hear or learn. Young lives are taken often because of disease or accidents. What happens to anyone that is taken too soon regardless of age?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality