Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 08:25 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I have bonded with animals and felt overwhelming grief at their deaths. But in truth, the sorrow is for me. My companions have moved on. I hope to meet them again one day, in one form or another, and know them for who they were.
Amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 09:21 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times
There is a line and how we view animals and treat them. Humans are more important than animals because we are made in his image and this fact is what makes us different from animals. Sure, humans are evil. We're just evil, selfish, user, and whatever you want to call us. The beauty about this is Jesus, who came for us and to redeem us. If you abuse a child, the child will feel unloved. If you abuse an animal, the animal will feel unloved. God hates both. We are to care and protect animals from harm as much as we are to do the same for humans. I do believe that God grieves when we grieve at the loss of our pets or animal abuse. I can never put the life of animal above another human just because they don't ______ us.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:32 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Pets give you unconditional love, comfort you even if you are wrong, give you a kiss when no one else wants too, does stupid tricks because it pleases you, lets you take out your frustrations on it without talking back. Pets can be better than some neighbors and even family members. I think God makes very good use of the animals he has given us for pets. Maybe their purpose is to do all the above for an otherwise misunderstood lonely person. Maybe their purpose is to teach a person who has never been loved that they have to give love first

AWWWWW! This is so true!! Another point about pets, they do not lie or betray you either

Old 09-27-2013, 08:05 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
First off animals are incapable of love and many other human emotions. We transfer our emotions on to our pets. Sure they can be loyal and even empathic but that's about it.

And I would never, ever put my pet's lives over the life of a human.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:13 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Well, the Bible commands us to take care of animals. What's more, I have pets whom I enjoy. But I think this entire fetish of elevating pets to the level of surrogate children and friends is more that a little bothersome to me.

People who prefer the company of their pets to that of people may not realize it, but they are really exhibiting laziness. Yes, people can be exasperating. But that's because people require insight and intuition, patience and understanding. A pet pretty much is genetically wired to association with whomever pours kibble into his or her bowl. A pet doesn't require much of you aside from grooming and feeding and the occasional pat on the head.

My wife's grandmother was a self-avowed dog person. She fussed over her dogs while ignoring her grandchildren and great-grandchildren for years. She and Scooter would exile themselves to her room, only coming out for dinner. Never really bothered to talk to her grandchildren. Never really learned the names of her great-grandchildren. It was just self-centeredness to the extreme veiled as concern for the welfare of an animal.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:41 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
First off animals are incapable of love and many other human emotions. We transfer our emotions on to our pets. Sure they can be loyal and even empathic but that's about it.
Besides being empirically wrong (oxytocin) . . . this belief is kind of sad.
Quote:
And I would never, ever put my pet's lives over the life of a human.
This is quite understandable. Human love does tend to differentiate among those we love. Fortunately God does not.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:00 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I think God is pleased when we love "Him"...and open to Him
loving us.
As long as we do no harm and help out our neighbor...well,
of course, He knows animals are easier.

Their easier for "Him" to love, TOO!

Old 09-27-2013, 09:00 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
First off animals are incapable of love and many other human emotions. ...snip...
100% wrong.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:12 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
100% wrong.
Ditto.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:52 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
How do you tell the difference between loyalty in a dog and love? The answer is you can't. We see our emotions in animals when they aren't present. That doesn't mean base emotions are not there like fear and anger. But love, hatred, envy, etc. just don't exist in animals. Not in that way we understand those emotions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality