Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 05:45 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,034 times

Advertisements

You know, this topic brought something to mind. I really wish there were such a thing as reincarnation. Because when I die I want to come back as one of my wife's pets!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 06:00 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,912,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Pets give you unconditional love, comfort you even if you are wrong, give you a kiss when no one else wants too, does stupid tricks because it pleases you, lets you take out your frustrations on it without talking back. Pets can be better than some neighbors and even family members. I think God makes very good use of the animals he has given us for pets. Maybe their purpose is to do all the above for an otherwise misunderstood lonely person. Maybe their purpose is to teach a person who has never been loved that they have to give love first
Blue, I agree with everything you have said here. We also have rescued animals...our dog was in a horriable situation when we got her. Animals are great...better then people from a personal perspective. At one time I was all alone, riding my horse with my Aussie Dog ahead on the trail and I thought to myself "Who needs people? This is the LIFE!"

At the same time, regarding the OP I don't think that animals are suppossed to be MORE important then people.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:09 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
[quote=GCSTroop;1259667]You know, this topic brought something to mind. I really wish there were such a thing as reincarnation. Because when I die I want to come back as one of my wife's pets! [/quote

Troop, do I see just a teeeeny tiiiny bit of jealousy here When we first got married I had a rabbit ( oh how I loved my Camilla) and I came home early from work, just as he turned my dog (I loved my patches, too) loose on it. That night the dog slept with me and he slept in the doghouse with a very frightened rabbit

Old 08-11-2007, 06:11 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,912,053 times
When we first got married we'd have the occasional child that woke up in the middle of the night and climbed in between us. Now the kids sleep though the night but the dog is the one in the middle! LOL

Old 08-12-2007, 05:01 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Default stewardship

Quote:
Matt 6:26 Look at the birds in the sky: They do not sow, or reap, or gather into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Aren’t you more valuable than they are?
Clearly God see's us as more valuble then animals. He does however care for them, and we were given control over all the animals in Genesis. We are expected to be "good stewards" first, this is pleasing to God.

The two primary commandments of the new covenant is to love God and our neighbor, nothing about pets. However we can send a great message of love by how we treat our pets, especially to children.

If we place our love for pets above God and people, that is not God's message. Nothing wrong with loving any of God's creations... but there are priorities.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:15 AM

122 posts, read 385,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throx View Post
I've met several people who love animals way more than people. This behavior is extreme to me. I believe that you should love all Gods creations equally, but keep an eye open for people and animals who seek to harm you.

Animals rights activists like an other activists, take a good idea too far.

Pardon my lack of punctuation:

I consider "Animal Rights" activists, similar to other activists. They tend to take a good idea too far.

I love my dog. And one or two of my neighbors! <humor>

Old 08-12-2007, 05:50 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,531,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
If we place our love for pets above God and people, that is not God's message. Nothing wrong with loving any of God's creations... but there are priorities.
If you're referring to mankind, then I agree. Certain individuals, however, are not worthy of my love, regardless of what the Bible says. My pets, on the other hand, are dearly loved.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:55 AM

401 posts, read 685,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
More and more frequently I am hearing pet owners make statements about loving their dogs and cats more than people in general, children and their own family members. Now granted, dogs and cats are great companions, but do you think that God is pleased when people love animals more than their next door neighbor?

I believe pets teach us to love more deeply. I am reminded of a prayer I heard once

"Oh lord please make me the person my dog thinks I am"

While it would be good to love your fellow man more than your dog, a dog loves you no matter what, many people will only love you when your life is going well, the minute storm clouds arrive they split.

It might be wrong but if I had to choose between my dog, and a crack addicted neighbor who actually shot himself once in an effort to get more drugs, I will pick a my dog any day.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:09 AM

122 posts, read 385,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throx View Post
Pardon my lack of punctuation:

I consider "Animal Rights" activists, similar to other activists. They tend to take a good idea too far.

I love my dog. And one or two of my neighbors! <humor>
Again my premise...

Old 08-12-2007, 07:40 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Pets give you unconditional love, comfort you even if you are wrong, give you a kiss when no one else wants too, does stupid tricks because it pleases you, lets you take out your frustrations on it without talking back. Pets can be better than some neighbors and even family members. I think God makes very good use of the animals he has given us for pets. Maybe their purpose is to do all the above for an otherwise misunderstood lonely person. Maybe their purpose is to teach a person who has never been loved that they have to give love first
Amen to that. In my opinion, animals are definitely "better" than people... when was the last time a dog or cat betrayed their owner, lied, cheated, stole, murdered, and so forth? Animals are pure souls, without the capacity to be hurtful, as unfortunately many humans are. Now, does that mean I'd value my dog's life over my family and friends? Of course not. But I do love my pets (a dog and 2 cats right now) more than a good chunk of the human population.

As I'm typing this, my dog crawled up and snuggled under my arm... almost like he knew I was talking about him, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality