Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 05:37 PM

30,477 posts, read 21,329,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Everyone doesn't live anywhere near a Costco. Like me. It's over an hour to the closest Costco. Not worth it.
None around me by 25 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2022, 07:41 PM

6,883 posts, read 4,893,903 times
I've never had a chicken not turn out right. I get the smallest I can find, which is still too big. I place a cooking rack on the bottom of the pan and place the chicken on it. I first rub the outside of the chicken with olive oil and stick butter up under the skin of the breast. Makes good drippings for gravy.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:47 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,209,594 times
Cooking chicken years ago was so easy - like, you couldn't ruin it no matter what you did with it. But something has happened - are they just slaughtering old retired (double duty) layers? Too old even for stewing? No matter how I cook it my chicken comes out dry stringy rubbery, etc - like goat meat. Turkey today has acquired a gamey taste I dislike. That's apparently the feed I presume. But chickens? Just too old!

I remember when chicken was designated "broilers" "fryers" and "roasters" etc. That ended at least 30 years ago. Nowadays the legs/thighs are huge - suspiciously too old.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 10-10-2022 at 07:58 PM..

Old 10-10-2022, 08:31 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,576,507 times
I just cooked a whole chicken in my air fryer and it was great! I found a great chicken rub online and cooked it about an hour. (lots of directions can be found online). The skin was wonderfully crispy and the meat was juicy and my air fryer makes it so easy to clean up.

Old 10-10-2022, 08:38 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,191,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
It always comes out unevenly cooked. The thinner parts of the chicken will be well done but another thicker part like the breast especially always comes out raw or not cooked enough even though the meat thermometer says over 160. Then I put it back in and the chicken comes back out all rubbery as a result. Had to throw out a chicken once because of this.

Very frustrating to waste money when I'm trying to save money. Is it okay to break the pieces out and cook it all laid out on a pan instead of compact?
Which rack are you using?

It does make a difference. Most ovens have three slots but only 2 racks. It's usually best to bake/roast on the middle one, which means you typically have to yank a rack out and lay it aside. The heat's distributed more evenly that way.

I would also suggest Aluminum foil. Put the shiny said against the chicken to reflect heat back.

Another problem could be your oven isn't as hot as you think it is. Sometimes it's actually better to use a higher temperature. I don't mean 400° I mean if it says 350° then do it at 375°.

Oh, are you sure the chicken is completely thawed?

Another trick is to roast in a Dutch oven or roaster then take the top off and turn the broiler on for the last 10-15 minutes to brown it.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:49 AM

23,882 posts, read 33,614,343 times
I've never had a dry chicken, just cooked almost a 10lb bird the other day. I buy Purdue from Walmart, 425 for 30 minutes then 375 for an hour, perfect every time. I add water to the bottom of the glass dish. I don't butter or oil the bird any more because the butter makes a mess.

Chickens are about $1 per pound. Those fully cooked birds aren't even half the poundage of a raw bird. Those cooked birds won't even feed my family, maybe it will feed my daughter and her son but not me, grandson, hub and my son, daughter too some times. I'd need at least 2 of those cooked ones, it still will be more expensive per pound then a raw chicken.

I don't recall seeing how many pounds the cooked ones are, does anyone know? I'd guess 2 to 3lbs max.

Old 10-11-2022, 08:24 AM

3,245 posts, read 1,694,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You can’t just go to Costco, unless you have paid at least $65. That would pay for a lot of chickens.
If you shopped there enough with the Executive Plus membership, the cash back savings pays for itself. A lot of folks don’t realize that if they simply purchase all of their necessities at Costco. In just 6m to 1 year the cash back pays for the cost of the membership and more. Do the math, Costco is virtually paying me to shop there and I still pay less for competitive goods than anywhere else and even cheaper than Walmart.

I understand people who hates paying membership fees upfront but that’s a very short-sighted mindset. Do the math, shopping at Costco is much more rewarding than shopping at normal box stores. Going to Walmart is a huge waste of time and money for me.

Old 10-11-2022, 08:39 AM

1,305 posts, read 858,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
In Houston, it's cheaper to buy a rotisserie chicken than cook a chicken yourself. For some reason, whole chickens are expensive here.
Yeah, I don't get that. I thought I could save a few bucks buying a whole, raw chicken and cooking it myself...boy was I surprised! Here, I can get a rotisserie chicken for around $7-$8, but to cook myself, looking at $9-$10...how does that make sense???

Old 10-11-2022, 10:15 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,880,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
If you shopped there enough with the Executive Plus membership, the cash back savings pays for itself. A lot of folks don’t realize that if they simply purchase all of their necessities at Costco. In just 6m to 1 year the cash back pays for the cost of the membership and more. Do the math, Costco is virtually paying me to shop there and I still pay less for competitive goods than anywhere else and even cheaper than Walmart.

I understand people who hates paying membership fees upfront but that’s a very short-sighted mindset. Do the math, shopping at Costco is much more rewarding than shopping at normal box stores. Going to Walmart is a huge waste of time and money for me.
Hell, I pay that membership in one Costco trip and the savings on wine case of wine!

Old 10-11-2022, 11:10 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,206,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Same where I am. Rotisserie chickens are $5.99 and a whole chicken is at least $9. Makes no sense. But hey I don't have to cook!
What about the weight of cooked Costco chicken vs cooked weight of $9 chicken cooked at home?

Those store bought cooked chicken always look on a smaller side..

Last edited by L00k4ward; 10-11-2022 at 11:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes