Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 09:56 AM

453 posts, read 303,904 times

Advertisements

I've found the best way to learn about cooking and try different things over the years would be the website Serious Eats or Cooks Illustrated which has that TV show on PBS I think it's called Cooks Country now.

Or Bon Appetit:

Secret to an Evenly Cooked Roast Chicken: (about brining)

https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitc...gh-temperature
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2022, 09:59 AM

453 posts, read 303,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Everyone doesn't live anywhere near a Costco. Like me. It's over an hour to the closest Costco. Not worth it.
Those chickens are sold everywhere.

Sams, Walmart, local grocery stores.

Costcos are their loss leaders and they have their own factory so they're slightly bigger and not as fake tasting but they're the same at Sams.

Old 10-10-2022, 10:31 AM

10,918 posts, read 7,440,288 times
I love rotisserie chicken from the store for its flavor and convenience, but do like to control ingredients.

I have a rotisserie attachment for the oven, have used it a few times. YUM, but whole raw chickens are too expensive, with so much waste from bones and fat. I usually buy boneless skinless thighs and bake or stew them.

It's perfectly OK to cut up a chicken and take out the faster cooking pieces when they are done, or even use them in different recipes.
When whole turkeys are on sale, I'll sometimes roast just the dark meat, and stew the white meat.

Old 10-10-2022, 12:24 PM

3,293 posts, read 1,716,622 times
I just go to Costco, $5 rotisserie chicken perfectly cooked. Cheaper than uncooked.

Old 10-10-2022, 12:45 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,655,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huitrecouture View Post
Those chickens are sold everywhere.

Sams, Walmart, local grocery stores.

Costcos are their loss leaders and they have their own factory so they're slightly bigger and not as fake tasting but they're the same at Sams.
We also don't live anywhere near a Sam's Club. I did say in a previous post that rotisserie chickens are $5.99 in my grocery store and raw whole chickens are over $9.

Old 10-10-2022, 02:58 PM

22,387 posts, read 29,512,450 times
I'm going to jump on this thread due to what happened Saturday. I'm in Denver so I'm not sure if the altitude has something to do with this!! I put a 6lb chicken in my slow cooker on low for 7 hrs. At hour 5 I checked it and it was waaaayyyy overcooked!! I checked numerous recipes before doing this and most called for 3/4lb for 4-5hrs on low so that's why I figured 7. Suggestions so it doesn't go in the garbage again next time?

It was supposed to be the bf's birthday dinner so this is why I actually roasted one instead of getting one fully cooked from grocery store

Old 10-10-2022, 03:18 PM

19,455 posts, read 27,907,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I just looked at the Kroger prices for my area. One brand of whole chickens is on sale this week for $5.50, with a regular price of $8.20. The other whole chickens are $9 to $11. WalMart shows $7.50 to $9

What is the cost by the pound? I was referring to whole raw chickens.

I'm wasn't referring to the price of rotisserie chickens - there's no better deal than $4.99 at Costco. And I just don't look for them elsewhere.

Old 10-10-2022, 03:39 PM

15,552 posts, read 7,577,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
What is the cost by the pound? I was referring to whole raw chickens.

I'm wasn't referring to the price of rotisserie chickens - there's no better deal than $4.99 at Costco. And I just don't look for them elsewhere.
What I quoted was raw hole chickens. They weren't' showing a price per pound in the online site.

Old 10-10-2022, 04:19 PM

50,408 posts, read 64,151,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I just go to Costco, $5 rotisserie chicken perfectly cooked. Cheaper than uncooked.
You can’t just go to Costco, unless you have paid at least $65. That would pay for a lot of chickens.

Old 10-10-2022, 04:40 PM

7,137 posts, read 4,858,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Easiest roasted chicken. Perfect every time.

Slice up onions and lay them in 9x13 baking pan. Cover with chicken stock. Place chicken on top of onions. Rub generously with softened butter. Salt and pepper entire chicken generously. Use a heavy hand. Place in preheated 425 degree oven, roast for 90 minutes. Done. Easy and delicious every time, tender and juicy meat, crispy skin. And the onions are really good.
This sounds so good. I love onions cooked this way. I think I’m gonna do this tomorrow. You don’t spatchcock it? Just put the chicken in the dish whole?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes