Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 08:37 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times

Advertisements

I've lived thru the misery of having a hot water heater die and waiting days to get it replaced. I'm not doing that again. I want to replace out 12+ year old builder installed gas water heater before it dies. Many (most?) In our neighborhood have already been replaced.

When hiring service providers, I try to avoid using the big, national companies in favor of locally-owned businesses. So I contact 4 licensed plumbing companies: 2 highly rated in online reviews, one that we used previously for some faucet changes, and Progressive Energy in case they had rebates. I have photos of the current heater including the metal plate showing manufacturer, serial number and model number. I have photos of how/where it's installed. No need for an on-site estimate unless they request it, which is fine with me.

Progressive sent a formal quote the same day I spoke to them. One company sent a 'quote' as a single paragraph in an email. The plumber i used before said they would send a quote "tomorrow " which was last week. I've never heard back from the 4th company.

So two days ago, I contact 3 more highly rated companies. No replies from any of them. I leave voicemail AND texts. In a couple of cases, I also used their online 'get a quote' form. In all my correspondence, I tell them clearly what I need, that this is not an emergency job, and that I have all the photos they need. I included my l9cation, email address and phone number in all inquiries.

A total of 7 requests with two replies. I know there's a unmet need for licensed plumbers, electricians, etc, but this seems extreme. WTH am I doing wrong? Are they all SO BUSY that they dont want a job that can be flexibly scheduled in the future? Or doesn't anybody want to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2024, 08:47 AM

43,275 posts, read 77,073,002 times
I have never had these issues with Cary Plumbing.
Did they also disappoint you?
I would not be surprised by a plumber who wanted to visit to write a quote, unless they built in some crying money or left it open for unforeseen issues.

Of course, I replaced my own in 2022, so didn't have to worry about water heater quotes.

Old 02-03-2024, 09:03 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I have never had these issues with Cary Plumbing.
Did they also disappoint you?
I would not be surprised by a plumber who wanted to visit to write a quote, unless they built in some crying money or left it open for unforeseen issues.

Of course, I replaced my own in 2022, so didn't have to worry about water heater quotes.
None have asked for an on-site quote. Hell, most haven't even responded. Sadly, yes Cary Plumbing is one in that last group i contacted (but it was only two days ago, so maybe I'm just being pissy at this point.)

At 81 years old and 3 fake joints, DH doesn't even replace the a/c filters anymore (and for medical reasons, I've been banned from ladders since 1998.). I dread the day when a smoke alarm battery dies at 3am. Again.

Old 02-03-2024, 09:06 AM

5,880 posts, read 6,946,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've lived thru the misery of having a hot water heater die and waiting days to get it replaced. I'm not doing that again. I want to replace out 12+ year old builder installed gas water heater before it dies. Many (most?) In our neighborhood have already been replaced.
About 10 years ago, I discovered our water heater was out by stepping on the wet carpet in the basement. I went over to Home Depot, picked out a unit and they had it installed by the end of the day (even adding the expansion tank required by ToC). I assume they can still do that these days, although that surely is a last resort option.

Have you been to the Duke Energy site to see what rebates may be available - https://p-micro.duke-energy.com/find-it-duke/ ? I have not used them, but they can help with contractor selection.

Old 02-03-2024, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
None have asked for an on-site quote. Hell, most haven't even responded. Sadly, yes Cary Plumbing is one in that last group i contacted (but it was only two days ago, so maybe I'm just being pissy at this point.)

At 81 years old and 3 fake joints, DH doesn't even replace the a/c filters anymore (and for medical reasons, I've been banned from ladders since 1998.). I dread the day when a smoke alarm battery dies at 3am. Again.

Cary Plumbing. Did you call and speak with them directly or go online to do an online form?
I am just surprised, since I never had issues getting someone out from them.

If you go on NextDoor and ask for recommendations, you will get a dozen recommendations for the "Joe Blows" out there. Mostly from Mrs. Blows or Joes themself.

Old 02-03-2024, 09:26 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,694,160 times
Many smaller outfits aren't going to have office staff standing by ready to answer the phone and get you an appointment. The owner may be managing their calendar between jobs and if they've had a long day of plumbing emergencies, may just be behind on responding. Because the job isn't pressing either, many plumbers are often focused on the near term latest emergency of a person without water, having a major leak, et..

I'd still consider getting a quote from some of the "name brand" companies just to compare. Most are franchised and the owner is local anyhow, but the staff have access to the broader company benefits like retirement matching, health insurance stipends, paid vacation, et that is more competitive than mom and pop outfits. It isn't all bad for the team to work at a franchise, but def compare prices.

Old 02-03-2024, 09:29 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,994 times
Plumbers are busy during the cold weather months so when the OP said it wasn't an urgent need request then that pushed it to the bottom of the priority list. Sometimes the online quote request process doesn't work very well if at all and should be followed up with a phone call. The last time I checked the standard quote for a hot water tank replacement was $1200 - $1500 and much higher for tank-less systems. Fortunately I have the tools and skills to replace them myself.

Old 02-03-2024, 09:31 AM

A lot of folks are happy with repairs/replacement from their natural gas provider.

https://www.dominionenergy.com/north.../water-heaters

Old 02-03-2024, 09:33 AM

505 posts, read 261,104 times
Despite "modern" technology like texts, email, and voice mail, I find many vendors are simply unresponsive to any of those methods. But if I can actually talk with someone on the phone, then they suddenly become responsive.

Just moved back here after 10 years in rural Virginia. "Up there" I found a good plumber-electrician, a one-man-band. Called him maybe a dozen times in 10 years and he was always on site within 20 minutes and pretty much able to fix anything. Only every now and then we waited a day for a part ( he or I would simply drive over to the supply house to get the part ). And he was never over-priced. Always fair.

Learned then to make a list of vendors who are reliable and responsible. They are priceless.

Old 02-03-2024, 09:37 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Cary Plumbing. Did you call and speak with them directly or go online to do an online form?
I am just surprised, since I never had issues getting someone out from them.

If you go on NextDoor and ask for recommendations, you will get a dozen recommendations for the "Joe Blows" out there. Mostly from Mrs. Blows or Joes themself.

I have a response to that but it would probably get me permanently banned from CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary