Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 07:08 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,891,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
So. You have fiber available.
What would be Google's prime reason to add to your choices? It likely wouldn't add to their bottom line in any material extent.

I am highly unlikely to consider a 20gb service at $250/month, but initiating that service is probably more cost effective and opportune for Google than pushing more fiber out.
I won't do business with AT&T and finally dumped Spectrum about a year ago for T-Mobile 5G wireless. T-Mobile continues to push development enhancements of their 5G network infrastructure.

T-Mobile Revs Up Millimeter Wave with 5G Standalone
December 06, 2023
T-Mobile worked with Ericsson and Qualcomm to pull off another 5G first, testing 5G standalone millimeter wave on its production network, delivering speeds topping 4.3 Gbps

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/networ...-5g-standalone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 08:54 AM

3,252 posts, read 1,700,488 times
20Gps for $250 is a steal if you are a business user that needs that much bandwidth and have the hardware to use it.

The only way to take advantage of it would be to have enough high speed switch at your location. It would be overkill for 99.9% of home users.

Most likely it's all just a marketing ploy to get people to pay when their router hardware isn't capable of the bandwidth.

Old 12-18-2023, 09:46 AM

5,907 posts, read 6,982,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I won't do business with AT&T and finally dumped Spectrum about a year ago for T-Mobile 5G wireless. T-Mobile continues to push development enhancements of their 5G network infrastructure.
I have been a long time customer of TMobile Wireless and tried their home Internet service for a few months. When it worked, it worked OK (50Mb+). When it didn't work so well, it was horrible, often less than 1Mb, which unfortunately occurred during prime time. I worked with Tech Support for a few weeks, but finally gave up. I get 500Mb from Spectrum for about the same price as with TMobile Internet.

Old 12-18-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I have been a long time customer of TMobile Wireless and tried their home Internet service for a few months. When it worked, it worked OK (50Mb+). When it didn't work so well, it was horrible, often less than 1Mb, which unfortunately occurred during prime time. I worked with Tech Support for a few weeks, but finally gave up. I get 500Mb from Spectrum for about the same price as with TMobile Internet.
T-Mobile now has new gateway modems that support an external antenna for customers who need to boost their signal levels. Unfortunately only new customers can get the new gateway and existing customers can't swap out their equipment except in very rare exceptions. Initially this was because of limited inventory availability constraints so I'm not sure if things have changed. I had Spectrum for many years but they wouldn't budge on price reductions and when T-Mobile offered me a $25/month price lock I jumped on it and haven't looked back. Now Spectrum wants me back and is offering special deals but that ship has sailed.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/hom...g-gateway-g4ar

Old 12-18-2023, 12:38 PM

4,266 posts, read 4,725,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
speeds topping 4.3 Gbps
To be clear, these tests are not under real-world conditions.

Old 12-18-2023, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
To be clear, these tests are not under real-world conditions.

Once upon a time Verizon was top dog, but T-Mobile is clearly showing that they're not willing to play follow the leader when it comes to 5G and are pushing the bleeding edge of new development.

Old 12-18-2023, 03:12 PM

4,266 posts, read 4,725,235 times
T-Mobile doesn't develop anything. Neither do AT&T and Verizon. They buy equipment from Ericsson, Nokia, Samsung, Huawei, NEC, and ZTE who supply all the mobile operators worldwide. With some additional players (e.g. Apple, Qualcomm, LG), these suppliers hash out the details of the 5G and 6G standards and develop the technologies to realize the products.

T-Mobile has prototype equipment from those suppliers in their labs, of course. But the main things a mobile operator worries about are spectrum, finances, tower and rooftop access, and consumer marketing. That's how they engage in oneupmanship.

Old 12-18-2023, 03:40 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,906,118 times
I wore my Google Fiber is Coming TShirt with great anticipation. I still have it, but Google fiber never materialized in my neighborhood.

Now I have moved away so I suppose it is possible that it has shown up since then, but I don't think so.

So I will believe in ultra-gig Google Fiber when I see it and not a moment sooner.

Old 12-18-2023, 04:32 PM

4,305 posts, read 5,998,741 times
I really like that shirt. Wearing it right now in fact, under something heavier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary