Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 09:47 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
I can see how some folks with multiple devices might need greater bandwidth, but as others have said, the advertised delivery speed is not what matters, what matters is the slowest speed in the pipeline ( computer, hard drive, ethernet cable, router, modem, website, etc. ). So if one or more of those is slow, having ultra-fast internet won't make much difference.

I have four gaming computers and have upgraded all my cables and routers, and I still cannot use more than about 300 Gbps, and most websites are not even close to that fast.

I have AT&T 1 Gbps fiber. But, what surprised me was that my own Asus mesh router was twice as fast as the router that AT&T provided. Their router was great with a hard wire connection, but their wifi was only around 300 Gbps. Had to place their router in bypass mode and connect my router to theirs in order to get wifi connections in the 600-800 Gbps range ( which I just need for backing up data to local NAS ).
You mean mbps, correct? Or else you came to us from the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2023, 11:29 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Google should focus on rolling out their fiber infrastructure to more areas in the Triangle before touting a speed increase that most people won't ever use. I'm in North Raleigh and we still can't get Google fiber yet so our only options are Spectrum cable & AT&T Fiber.

Old 12-15-2023, 12:24 PM

563 posts, read 955,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Google should focus on rolling out their fiber infrastructure to more areas in the Triangle before touting a speed increase that most people won't ever use.
I completely agree with you.

Old 12-15-2023, 12:35 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times

Old 12-15-2023, 01:11 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Google should focus on rolling out their fiber infrastructure to more areas in the Triangle before touting a speed increase that most people won't ever use. I'm in North Raleigh and we still can't get Google fiber yet so our only options are Spectrum cable & AT&T Fiber.
So. You have fiber available.
What would be Google's prime reason to add to your choices? It likely wouldn't add to their bottom line in any material extent.

I am highly unlikely to consider a 20gb service at $250/month, but initiating that service is probably more cost effective and opportune for Google than pushing more fiber out.

Old 12-17-2023, 10:51 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,417 times
I think they have to charge a high fee to pay for all the AT&T fiber they are cutting while trying to install here in Durham. This past week in Durham, even with markings all over the road and yard, they cut my line along with others. And I'm pretty sure they cut a major power line Friday "object in contact with line" from the Duke Power text. And then there was that time when they hit a gas line downtown and two people died, a building or two went up in flames and someone lost their classic Porsche collection.

Old 12-17-2023, 01:04 PM

563 posts, read 955,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
And then there was that time when they hit a gas line downtown and two people died, a building or two went up in flames and someone lost their classic Porsche collection.
That was not caused by Google.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Durham_gas_explosion

Old 12-17-2023, 09:24 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
For perspective, I'd like to offer that when I purchased my first ever brand new desktop PC in 1994 I laughed about it having a 40MB hard drive, thinking that I could never imagine needing anywhere near that much storage.

We will continue to expand into the capabilities presented to us, just watch and see.

Old 12-18-2023, 05:15 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
good to know, thanks for posting

Old 12-18-2023, 05:18 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
I think they have to charge a high fee to pay for all the AT&T fiber they are cutting while trying to install here in Durham. This past week in Durham, even with markings all over the road and yard, they cut my line along with others. And I'm pretty sure they cut a major power line Friday "object in contact with line" from the Duke Power text. And then there was that time when they hit a gas line downtown and two people died, a building or two went up in flames and someone lost their classic Porsche collection.
Just wait until ATT comes down to install their fiber on the same streets and they also hit a bunch of utilities. Happened over and over in Morrisvlle and Cary. Then think that after years of promises, suddenly ATT decided to actually put in fiber in this area only because Google came in and be glad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary