Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 04:02 PM

22,750 posts, read 37,020,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Wild plot twist in the story but it sounds like the stabbing was in self-defense
https://www.yahoo.com/news/mother-st...170405992.html
wow the mom of the perp said this? You've solved the case, pierre!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 08:12 PM

429 posts, read 228,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
These are all administration failures. No matter how much tax dollars we throw at the schools it's never enough to fill the big black bottomless hole. Most kids have or are assigned computers these days so textbooks are obsolete when they could be made available to students in PDF file form or online. When my son was in school his teachers would often send home donation requests for supplies and many parents did step up to provide them, but I also know teachers spend their own money as well and that needs to be fixed or have a reimbursement process. Unfortunately there is no magic wand that will fix our broken school system and all of it's problems.
This is a feature, not a bug. There has been a long term strategy in NC (and elsewhere) to starve public schools for funds while diverting the resources to charter schools, private institutions, and homeschooling without any of the standards that public schools must adhere to. The grift doesn’t work when you have too many educated voters who can think critically.

Old 11-30-2023, 06:13 AM

22,158 posts, read 9,720,202 times
Quote:
Schools aren't completely responsible for the lack of parenting in most cases
It's not all parenting. It's phones and social media and technology. Kids don't learn right/wrong. They don't learn social skills. And parents are often both working and don't discipline their kids either. Schools don't hold kids accountable anymore. They give a passing grade if they kid just shows up. It's not any one thing but the phones have done more damage than anything else.

Old 11-30-2023, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I mean I'd put the blame more on parents honestly. I feel like schools hands are tied often times because if they do too much, you get Joe and Jane Bickerson coming out of the woodwork complaining about "you can't touch my child" or "you can't tell them that" or "your facts are wrong I believe the world is run by the peanut mafia" or yadda yadda.

Fund schools better and give them more authority to do sane things.
Spoken like a true teacher/district employee. Just throw more money at the problem.

Old 11-30-2023, 06:37 AM

2,021 posts, read 3,603,394 times
Quote:
Wild plot twist in the story but it sounds like the stabbing was in self-defense
https://www.yahoo.com/news/mother-st...170405992.html

What I heard as well from the rumor mill. If true puts a new perspective on the incident.

Old 11-30-2023, 07:22 AM

568 posts, read 963,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyHeel View Post
This is a feature, not a bug. There has been a long term strategy in NC (and elsewhere) to starve public schools for funds while diverting the resources to charter schools, private institutions, and homeschooling without any of the standards that public schools must adhere to.
This is 100% accurate.

Old 11-30-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I mean I'd put the blame more on parents honestly. I feel like schools hands are tied often times because if they do too much, you get Joe and Jane Bickerson coming out of the woodwork complaining about "you can't touch my child" or "you can't tell them that" or "your facts are wrong I believe the world is run by the peanut mafia" or yadda yadda.

Fund schools better and give them more authority to do sane things.
Spoken like a true teacher/district employee. Just throw more money at the problem.

Old 11-30-2023, 08:50 AM

43,531 posts, read 77,570,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
RIF.

"Fund schools better and give them more authority to do sane things."

Old 11-30-2023, 10:25 AM

568 posts, read 963,651 times
Grlzrl lives in Florida.

Old 11-30-2023, 10:36 AM

22,750 posts, read 37,020,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
RIF.

"Fund schools better and give them more authority to do sane things."
Like fund a director of diversity position that could pay for five teachers? That kind of sane thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary