Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 05:19 PM

6,459 posts, read 9,834,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
While I applaud the OP's efforts, make sure to watch out for runaway cars/trucks and flying stray bullets. Working right next to a major highway is very dangerous and without proper safety signage and warning beacon strobes the OP is unnecessarily putting their life in danger when it's best just to go through the proper administrative channels to address the litter issue.
SInce when is this happening around here? I havent read any reports of flying stray bullets. Someone needs to round those strays up and herd them right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2023, 07:12 PM

1,063 posts, read 915,665 times
well, Adopt-A-Highway is how we handle this situation.
we cover around 6 miles. three different sections.
all volunteer 4 times a year.
finished our final pick-up
for the year two weeks ago.
new litter has overcome our efforts.
NCDOT does not use prison labor
anymore for litter removal.
too expensive.

regarding bullets....when we first started,
we found a loaded pistol which the police
said belonged to a woman in Chapel Hill.
and...we have found complete cartridges
(pistol, rifle, shotgun) at various times.

Old 11-18-2023, 07:44 PM

119 posts, read 88,391 times
When i was in boy scouts as a kid, our troop used to do the adopt a highway. It used to bother me seeing all the trash on the side of the roads for the longest time too. But i just learned to live with it over time because anywhere there's humans, there's trash. It's a futile effort to clean it all up. Just think of it as future artifacts for future civilizations to find lol

Old 11-19-2023, 03:16 PM

Kraftask, our AAH group says: it is an "All You Can Eat" buffet.

Old 11-19-2023, 05:17 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,810,424 times
Kramer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKB6lEv10Rs

Old 11-19-2023, 09:12 PM

4,177 posts, read 4,893,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
SInce when is this happening around here? I havent read any reports of flying stray bullets. Someone needs to round those strays up and herd them right.

Several cars have been shot on our highways over the past several months, so being in the wrong place at the wrong time can be deadly.

Old 11-20-2023, 07:41 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,948,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftask View Post
When i was in boy scouts as a kid, our troop used to do the adopt a highway. It used to bother me seeing all the trash on the side of the roads for the longest time too. But i just learned to live with it over time because anywhere there's humans, there's trash. It's a futile effort to clean it all up. Just think of it as future artifacts for future civilizations to find lol

When I think of what makes North Carolina special, specifically here in the Piedmont region that lacks spectacular mountain ranges or sandy beaches...

I think of the beautiful green backdrop which is year round with plenty of pine trees and temperate weather that keeps some forms of grass growing all year long.

One white plastic bag caught on a briar bush ruins the entire landscape for me personally as my eye is immediately drawn to it.

I don't care about shaming anyone with this endeavor, I just prefer to live in a beautiful environment that includes litter-free parking lots and freeways lined with green trees and green shoulders.

Raleigh stands out in people's minds, especially visitors, as being a little different from other places. One of the biggest reasons is the attractive freeways without billboards, or at least very few of them on our local freeways.

My determination to remove some of the excessive litter is merely an extension of that banning of billboards which highlights the natural beauty of the trees in this area.

Ugly thoroughfares like Capital Blvd. benefit from billboards in my opinion.

Thanks everyone for your replies, and again if you're not happy with the appearance of our roads, highway signs, etc. please contact your municipality and NCDOT.

You pay thousands of dollars every year in taxes of all kinds, and the powers that be have a responsibility to perform the expected services you pay for.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Old 11-20-2023, 07:46 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,948,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king john IV View Post
well, Adopt-A-Highway is how we handle this situation.
we cover around 6 miles. three different sections.
all volunteer 4 times a year.
finished our final pick-up
for the year two weeks ago.
new litter has overcome our efforts.
NCDOT does not use prison labor
anymore for litter removal.
too expensive.

regarding bullets....when we first started,
we found a loaded pistol which the police
said belonged to a woman in Chapel Hill.
and...we have found complete cartridges
(pistol, rifle, shotgun) at various times.
I'd love to know which sections you picked up two weeks ago to ascertain how fast the litter returns.

Regardless, it's still beneficial as the litter would just keep piling up and up.

I don't see many adopt a highway signs on our local freeways yet you cannot adopt any more in Wake County.

Thank you for your efforts every year.

Old 11-21-2023, 02:39 PM

you are welcome.
NCDOT restricts applications for AAH
to a maximum of 2 miles per adoption.
(the last time i checked)
we signed on before any mileage qualifications were placed.

what is interesting to me is how the litter has changed over the years.
newspapers used to be #1, now it is medical waste (masks, gloves, etc.)
alcohol containers have faded away, and water bottles have taken over.
fast food items are rare now. used diapers took their place.

Old 11-22-2023, 12:32 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,583,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Better to light a candle than curse the darkness!
Love that quote and attitude it conveys. I eviscerate people in my community who post on social media to complain about uncollected dog waste or garbage that made its way from the active construction sites to our streets and yards. Maybe take the same 3-5 minutes and instead pick it up and dispose of it yourself (which I do, frequently).

People find it easier to complain than to do something about whatever it is that's bothering them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary