Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 04:38 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I have Liberty Mutual for my condo policy. They are excellent. I have filed several claims so far, and they always reimbursed without any hassle. My premium hasn't even increased. My annual premium is only $245 for a 2BR/2BA 1400 sq ft condo in the heart of downtown.

I'm also getting a very good alumni association discount.

You might want to check to see if your insurer offers any alumni discounts. I know that Gieco and Liberty Mutual does.
I had Liberty Mutual before Amica, changed because of increased premiums. Condos are different because you're only covering from the walls-in (HO-6 vs. HO-3). The condo association has the insurance policy that is affected by weather and free roofs (you'll see it via increased condo fees).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 04:41 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,166,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I had Liberty Mutual before Amica, changed because of increased premiums. Condos are different because you're only covering from the walls-in (HO-6 vs. HO-3). The condo association has the insurance policy that is affected by weather and free roofs (you'll see it via increased condo fees).
So far it's been reasonable as far as HOA fee increases.

You still should inquire about alumni discounts if you are an alumni of any school.

Old 06-22-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
So far it's been reasonable as far as HOA fee increases.

You still should inquire about alumni discounts if you are an alumni of any school.
Thanks I'll look into it.

Old 06-23-2021, 05:02 PM

339 posts, read 319,299 times
looking at the info. in the below link at the NC DOI it seems the rate hike proposal is not scheduled for a hearing until Sept. 20th of this year.
Why the hikes already ? I just made a small claim, first since hurricane Fran back in '96.
Now I won't know, if my insurance goes up, if it's because of the claim or the rate hike or both ?!

https://www.ncdoi.gov/news/press-rel...lve-homeowners

Old 06-23-2021, 07:29 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,798,761 times
Our homeowner's insurance went up 10% this year. We just got the bill. We have NC Farm Bureau.

Old 07-14-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
My homeowners is up 30% this year but my auto insurance is down so I'm actually paying less in monthly combined premiums than last year (Amica)
Did they change your auto policy from 1 year to 6 months? I almost got fooled by this thinking my auto went down 50%.

Old 07-14-2021, 12:44 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,942,522 times
I don't look at my policies anymore because the last time I did I got upset because they raised our rate quite a bit to help cover the coastal properties. And when I went to get new quotes, I was always asked for my SS# and was told they check credit. That irked me too because I don't like things to possibly impact my credit score and no one could tell me if these credit checks could do that.

But due to this thread I decided to take a peak and ours did go up on 3/31/21. There was a message on my account notifying us of this change back in the Fall of 2020. It went up 13.5%!

I also see where the insurance companies have requested a 24.5% increase for this Fall. It states that they are requesting this increase due to the increased wind and hail damage. I'm pretty sure all those new roofs had something to do with this. We get those roofers coming to our door all the time even with a couple of "no trespassing" signs in our yard. And they fly drones over our house which pisses me off too!

Old 07-17-2021, 10:41 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
Amica, USAA, Nationwide and Liberty Mutual are top of the pack in NC. When I worked NC territory a few wyears ago, these carriers have and always have stepped up to the plate. Seem to have the highest clientele too. I have personally never seem Liberty Mutual or Nationwide deny a claim in my 4 years in the field with hundreds of examples in many states.

Middle of the pack insurance companies are like State Farm, Farm Bureau, GEICO and MetLife are okay. Some bad and some good experiences. I worked for State Farm, some stuff they do is questionable on claims and eligibility. I never had their products.

I would avoid the Eries and DairyLands and Stuff.

I Worked for AMICA too. Awesome company. Id say they are probably just below Nationwide and LM. You pay, but you dont have any of the issues.

My two cents, when i get to own a home .. it will be insured through Nationwide or LM. 4 years of exposure and working nonstop with other insurance companies, producers and restoration teams. They are it

Old 07-17-2021, 10:43 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Our homeowner's insurance went up 10% this year. We just got the bill. We have NC Farm Bureau.
Not bad! Thats a relatively small increase. Shows your loyalty and commitment to the company.

Sucka to think people received 25-40% increases in a year. Yikes.

Old 07-22-2021, 06:42 AM

494 posts, read 816,774 times
I tried to check when I first saw this thread but the new policy wasn't listed yet. Today I saw my premium with Amica was increasing a little over 20%. My auto did go down slightly but with the 6 month policy that could go back up in 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary