Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 05:37 AM

43,275 posts, read 77,073,002 times

Advertisements

When he was hired as Canes Head Coach, Rod Brind'Amour said, "We aren't here to make the playoffs. That isn't the goal. We want to win it all."

I sat at a Canes Booster Club event where Eric Cole spoke last fall.
He said, with emotion, "I wish these guys could get to the post-season just once to experience it," implying they wouldn't settle for less in the future.
And, they did. And the young guys got some great experience with success, with rabid support from a full house at PNC, and finished with a crushing defeat, swept by the Bruins.

After a surprising, exciting, delightful run to the ECF in 2019, what will it take in 2019--2020?

Special teams, for one, obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 12:21 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,710,427 times
Lots to do in the off-season.
  • Williams returns or retires? If he retires, who fills his slot and who is the new captain?
  • Mrazek, McIlhenney, or both return? Does Ned get a chance?
  • How to backfill Ferland, assuming he's gone?
  • How to improve scoring, especially on PP?
  • Didn't see much from Niederreiter in the playoffs. What's his future?
  • How to get stronger at forward? It was clear that Boston pushed our guys around a lot.
  • How to improve at third-line center? Against top teams, McKegg and Wallmark are basically 4th line guys.
  • Aho, Teravainen, McGinn, and Fleury have to be signed.
  • Numerous other players on the team or in the system (incl. McKegg, Bishop, and Maenalanen) have expiring contracts too.
  • What talent in Charlotte can be traded to improve the Canes?
  • Will Necas ever become a top-nine forward or is he a draft bust?
  • Can Foegele play an entire season like he did at the start and the finish?
  • Will UFAs be more willing to consider playing in Carolina, given this year's success under B'A?

Last edited by wizard-xyzzy; 05-17-2019 at 12:30 PM..

Old 05-17-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post

[*]Williams returns or retires? If he retires, who fills his slot and who is the new captain?
I hope he comes back on a 1 or two year deal. If he still loves the game enough and wants to.

[*]Mrazek, McIlhenney, or both return? Does Ned get a chance?
Sign both. They are both assets if Ned earns a spot in preseason. Either Mac or Petr will be tradeable, since there is always a spot for a goalie.

[*]How to backfill Ferland, assuming he's gone?
I assume he is gone. He would certainly be a $6 millon+ mistake, I think.

[*]How to improve scoring, especially on PP?
GET THE BOYS TO THINK SHOOT FIRST!

[*]Didn't see much from Niederreiter in the playoffs. What's his future?
He's a keeper, IMO.

[*]How to get stronger at forward? It was clear that Boston pushed our guys around a lot.
Get stronger at center.

[*]How to improve at third-line center? Against top teams, McKegg and Wallmark are basically 4th line guys.
I think this is where we need to go into free agent or trade market.

[*]Aho, Teravainen, McGinn, and Fleury have to be signed.
Yes, with possible exception of Fleury, if you believe Mike Vellucci that Jake Bean is ready. I like Fleury, but at this point it is clear he just brings no offense.

[*]Numerous other players on the team or in the system (incl. McKegg, Bishop, and Maenalanen) have expiring contracts too.
McKegg and Maenalanen over Bishop.

[*]What talent in Charlotte can be traded to improve the Canes?
Depth players for depth players or as throw ins?

[*]Will Necas ever become a top-nine forward or is he a draft bust?
Jury is out.

[*]Can Foegele play an entire season like he did at the start and the finish?
I like his heart. Rookie. Has desire.

[*]Will UFAs be more willing to consider playing in Carolina, given this year's success under B'A?
We could use 1 or 2 offensive horses.
I am somewhat focused on team spirit in the locker room and lack of rivalries. I suspect that Justin Williams is a steadying influence there.

I hope Morgan Geekie is ready. His name is cool.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/hurricanes

Old 05-17-2019, 12:47 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,135 times
My top four for the Canes would be.

1. Solve the goaltender situation. Mrazek from my seat isn't a guy who can take you to the promise land. He's a really good backup who could spell a starter 20-30 games a year to keep the top guy fresh for April-June hockey. Could they throw money at Bob?
2. Throw money at Aho and get Williams to come back. Aho is a talent to build around and Williams seems like the perfect leader to bring a young and upcoming team along. Dude has three cups and knows what it takes to get there.
3. Bring a little more umph to the Offense either via trade or FA (I don't know how the Canes typically throw around money). Mitch Marner is up in TOR is an RFA and is a good young player. Wayne Simmonds is out there too who would also check off #4.
4. Bring in some grinders for PK. Johansson from the Bs is an UFA, Wayne Simmonds is another option.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:54 PM

6,376 posts, read 5,489,331 times
Oh the precedent you have set here....

Old 05-17-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
My top four for the Canes would be.

1. Solve the goaltender situation. Mrazek from my seat isn't a guy who can take you to the promise land. He's a really good backup who could spell a starter 20-30 games a year to keep the top guy fresh for April-June hockey. Could they throw money at Bob?
2. Throw money at Aho and get Williams to come back. Aho is a talent to build around and Williams seems like the perfect leader to bring a young and upcoming team along. Dude has three cups and knows what it takes to get there.
3. Bring a little more umph to the Offense either via trade or FA (I don't know how the Canes typically throw around money). Mitch Marner is up in TOR is an RFA and is a good young player. Wayne Simmonds is out there too who would also check off #4.
4. Bring in some grinders for PK. Johansson from the Bs is an UFA, Wayne Simmonds is another option.

1. Bob wants the bright lights, big city.

2. Yep.

3. Toronto still wants a RH Defenseman. We probably have one to swap.

4. Patrick Brown in Charlotte. 26, and hasn't stuck yet, though.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:32 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,240,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Oh the precedent you have set here....
Well we finally found the road to the playoffs after years of wandering in uncharted wilderness. Now we have to find the road that leads us to the big Silver drinking cup!

Old 05-17-2019, 06:47 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,240,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
  • Williams returns or retires? If he retires, who fills his slot and who is the new captain?
  • Mrazek, McIlhenney, or both return? Does Ned get a chance?
  • How to backfill Ferland, assuming he's gone?
  • How to improve scoring, especially on PP?
  • Didn't see much from Niederreiter in the playoffs. What's his future?
  • How to get stronger at forward? It was clear that Boston pushed our guys around a lot.
  • How to improve at third-line center? Against top teams, McKegg and Wallmark are basically 4th line guys.
  • Aho, Teravainen, McGinn, and Fleury have to be signed.
  • Numerous other players on the team or in the system (incl. McKegg, Bishop, and Maenalanen) have expiring contracts too.
  • What talent in Charlotte can be traded to improve the Canes?
  • Will Necas ever become a top-nine forward or is he a draft bust?
  • Can Foegele play an entire season like he did at the start and the finish?
  • Will UFAs be more willing to consider playing in Carolina, given this year's success under B'A?
I think the club will ask Williams to return on a team-friendly 1 year deal. He loves Raleigh and I believe lives here full-time, he certainly won't want to move/leave his family only to move back again.

Ferland is gone, and there are guys out there who can replace him. Problem with guys like Ferland is once they start getting older their bodies wear down from all the physical play. I don't think he's going to be worth what he will want.

Nino will be back, he's under contract until 2022 and he's a big part why this team got hot down the stretch and got in the playoffs.

Necas should be a good player here. He just needed to get accustomed to North American Ice.

TT was already signed to an extension. Aho will get one too, he's too valuable not to get one.

I think with this run and the way players spoke highly of RBA as coach, it will certainly give UFA's a new perspective on this team rather than the old "Where golfing season begins in early April" mindset that many of them probably had.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:48 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,529,578 times
I love this thread already!

I can't see JW stepping away. Either he continues to play, or he gets an Assistant Coach title (or something off-ice). Assessments in the comments so far seem right on target. The goalie situation is probably where I waiver a bit. Mac's age works against him, Mrazek runs hot and cold. Maybe there's someone on the farm somewhere just waiting for a chance to show us what he's got.

Either way, I'm thrilled that this team showed us their heart for 6 extra weeks of exciting hockey. That's good for the suits, the team, the town, and the fans. Good stuff!

Old 05-17-2019, 07:48 PM

6,376 posts, read 5,489,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Well we finally found the road to the playoffs after years of wandering in uncharted wilderness. Now we have to find the road that leads us to the big Silver drinking cup!
A Delorean with a flux capacitor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary