Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 06:47 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times

Advertisements

Oops. I guess I got confused about Garner being in Wake vs JoCo. Guess that means Garner has no excuse--it's time will come, just like is happening with Fuquay now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 06:58 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,923,964 times
Anybody been on business 70...downtown Garner lately? Anything new going on there?

Old 06-02-2018, 08:27 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Anybody been on business 70...downtown Garner lately? Anything new going on there?
White Oak area a lot,moving away from there toward Raleigh not at all and more closing then opening. Sorta depressing in spots. The

Old 06-02-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I assume you meant to say "Garner is in Wake County, but parts of...". There may be some Garner mailing addresses in JoCo, but the entirety of the Garner town limits is located within Wake County. Post offices in NC often serve much larger areas than the city or town associated with the post office. Thats not the same as actual city limits.
Sure but it can be confusing and is to people. I know it from living there. Part of our development has a Garner address and the other a Clayton address and we are neither in Garner or Clayton and very close to Garner in Wake mailing address. Yes you are correct about my typo. In fact areas close to us have a Raleigh mailing address while others have a Garner address along with the Clayton address. All in Johnston County. I am referring to the 42/40 area along with the Cleveland area.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Oops. I guess I got confused about Garner being in Wake vs JoCo. Guess that means Garner has no excuse--it's time will come, just like is happening with Fuquay now.
The adjacent areas of Johnston and Wake are growing with new schools and new housing. As another posted noted the areas adjacent to Raleigh are another story. The issue is being able to build developments with space away from some areas.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:04 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
maybe lots of people have been erroneously led to believe that Garner was JoCo, and thus not the WCPS district.

For the 30+ years I've resided on Wake, Garner has been thought of as "working class". As soon as higher-educated/income young folks realize how cheap the residential real estate is there with great access to downtown Raleigh - in some ways like working class SE Raleigh, then the path of gentrification will include Garner. IMO.

And folks will complain about that.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:10 PM

139 posts, read 108,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Of course it is - first you said you suspect it's racism, with absolutely nothing to back it up. Then you alluded to the fact that "white people from the north" don't want to live in Garner because a lot of black people live there, which you yourself proceeded to admit wasn't true.

Garner growing at slower rates has absolutely nothing to do with race, and what you said is unfair to perfectly good people moving here from northern states.
You’re right. None of those ‘perfectly good people moving here from northern states’ have subconscious racial prejudice at all. I’m sure of it.
They are all buying homes in southeast Raleigh if they work downtown, instead of driving past it to head out to Wendell. They all especially love Durham, and if any of them to work in Durham County but live *just* over the southern border in west Cary, its NEVER because of race. No way. It’s only because they really want to pay $100k more for the same home and drive 5 minutes further from work each day. That’s all.

In all seriousness-
I will be forever baffled by people who are so oddly offended by someone bringing race into a conversation.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:42 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellorebecca View Post
You’re right. None of those ‘perfectly good people moving here from northern states’ have subconscious racial prejudice at all. I’m sure of it.
They are all buying homes in southeast Raleigh if they work downtown, instead of driving past it to head out to Wendell. They all especially love Durham, and if any of them to work in Durham County but live *just* over the southern border in west Cary, its NEVER because of race. No way. It’s only because they really want to pay $100k more for the same home and drive 5 minutes further from work each day. That’s all.

In all seriousness-
I will be forever baffled by people who are so oddly offended by someone bringing race into a conversation.
I just worked with a guy who lives in Dallas. He was one of the first to buy into a 400 home planned community here. $400k-$500k homes. By the end of the build cycle four years later 95% of the folks are Indian. There is some sort of religious issue between them and half fight with the other half constantly (sound familiar?). They hang meat off their front porch. They don't take care of their yard. The men never talk to his wife. He sold and moved to a different community, one he felt he "identified" with.

Is he racist? There is a reason why when immigrants came to the US they congregated in little cities amongst themselves ie Chinatown, Little Italy, etc.

Personally I don't identify with many elements of black culture (rap, pants pulled down below your waist, expensive rims on cars, language, etc). Does that make me racist? I don't think so. When our Realtor was showing us around she steered us clear of certain areas. Does that make her a racist?

In reality it's more about surrounding oneself with your socioeconomic peers. People tend to like to stick around people who are similar to them and share similar values. It's just human nature. Hell it's animal nature.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:10 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,480,599 times
Perhaps the old bullies moving here know they will not be welcome in Garner.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:23 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,375,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I just worked with a guy who lives in Dallas. He was one of the first to buy into a 400 home planned community here. $400k-$500k homes. By the end of the build cycle four years later 95% of the folks are Indian. There is some sort of religious issue between them and half fight with the other half constantly (sound familiar?). They hang meat off their front porch. They don't take care of their yard. The men never talk to his wife. He sold and moved to a different community, one he felt he "identified" with.

Is he racist? There is a reason why when immigrants came to the US they congregated in little cities amongst themselves ie Chinatown, Little Italy, etc.

Personally I don't identify with many elements of black culture (rap, pants pulled down below your waist, expensive rims on cars, language, etc). Does that make me racist? I don't think so. When our Realtor was showing us around she steered us clear of certain areas. Does that make her a racist?

In reality it's more about surrounding oneself with your socioeconomic peers. People tend to like to stick around people who are similar to them and share similar values. It's just human nature. Hell it's animal nature.
Garner's median household income is higher than Raleigh's, and the overall demographics of the 2 cities are very similar, so I don't see how socioeconomic factors play into this.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 06-12-2018 at 05:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary