Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 07:54 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,277,902 times

Advertisements

I have Raleigh on my weather app as well as where I live (Long Island, NY) and except for a string of a couple of days, your weather has been pretty on par with the cold here. Today included, very chilly!

Is this normal for the Raleigh area do you think? I know it's winter but I'm just wondering if it's usually milder than this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 08:02 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,549,078 times
Normally temps are ~50° high, 32° low. But here and there you do get cold blasts like this.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:03 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,382,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I have Raleigh on my weather app as well as where I live (Long Island, NY) and except for a string of a couple of days, your weather has been pretty on par with the cold here. Today included, very chilly!

Is this normal for the Raleigh area do you think? I know it's winter but I'm just wondering if it's usually milder than this.
Eh, generally there are periods like we're having now where it does get really cold but it would only seem abnormal to me if it was like it is today (lows in the single digits or teens) for a few weeks to over a month in a stretch.

If you're looking for a non-anecdotal view though, I suggest checking the historical weather data section on the citydata info pages about Raleigh.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:10 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,927,883 times
We left NC in large part because of the cold winters. We now live on the gulf coast of Florida and the weather here this year is still too cold for me, as it is colder than normal. I always found the Raleigh area to be close to the borderline of crappy weather to the north and better weather to the south. I think that is one reason it is such a draw for people, as it is a good weather compromise for many people.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:14 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,683,274 times
Yes, we see a couple of days of cold here each year. However, our spring like weather starts at the end of February. it's warm enough that I can switch back to my summer-only tires.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:19 AM

4,622 posts, read 6,459,794 times
It's winter. NC is in the temperate climate zone of the globe, which means it's gets cold in the winter. It even snows and ices sometimes. In fact, this winter is nothing compared to last year, when we had lows in the single digit s to near zero in the central part of the state. I don't get why some people expect it be warm in winter in friggin North Carolina!

Old 01-19-2016, 08:21 AM

22,686 posts, read 36,870,810 times
Because it's in the south!

As someone said we are usually in flip flops and things are blooming in February. You won't find mountains of snow here till the end of March. Winter is overall mild compared to up north and you won't have winters where there is snow on the ground all winter like you do up north. I like the change of seasons but winter should be short and it is here

By the same token people move here and are shocked that it's hot in the summer. Not only does it get hotter but the sun is stronger.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:25 AM

265 posts, read 270,331 times
I mistakenly expected the winters to be different here when a company lured me out of Southern CA. And even though I grew up in Eastern PA, I'm miserable here 3 months out of the year. I didn't expect California weather at all, but I had no idea it got so cold for so long. Naive on my part. The heat and the humidity in the summers does not bother me at all, but I'm in the minority on that also.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:35 AM

9,150 posts, read 14,793,190 times
Yeah, we do have 4 distinct seasons here and it can get down to 10 degrees some years. The again it was close to 80 this past Christmas. But if you want to never have cold and never have snow, you have to go way farther south.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:38 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,159,493 times
Really, it is a lot of fun. You never know more than a week in advance what weather you will see in the winter. It could be unusually warm or unusually cold. If you want to compare to your own climate, do a search on "compare two cities" and look not only at average temperatures throughout the year but also on the variability. This morning the low in my area of Wake county was 15 degrees, which was well below the 10th percentile, comparing to an average low on this date of 33 degrees. So it is a rare cold, but not surprising if you've lived here a while. Just wait a few days and it will be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary