Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 10:16 AM

596 posts, read 1,239,337 times

Advertisements

I know this question has been posted numerous times, but would like to hear the more recent regrets.... We have been living in this area for 6 years, both in North Raleigh, and now just over the Wake line in Johnston County. We are NYC born and raised, but moved here from the Ft. Lauderdale area after almost 30 yrs. living there. I will admit it was a pleasant change at first, but not so much anymore. Many people told us when we first moved here that this was a great area to live, just around 2+ hrs. From the beach and 3+ hrs. To the mountains. At a later date I mentioned this to someone and his reply made so much sense "So we are in the middle of nowhere" this has really made sense to me now, as I am at wits end from living here, I hope in short time we can get our money back from our house so we can move on to a more suitable place for us, though it's going to be challenge to figure out where to go!
PS
I am not looking for negative comments of what we should have done before moing etc. etc. just curious how many others have similar feelings ! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 AM

725 posts, read 1,499,926 times
3%

Old 07-11-2013, 10:39 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Some days I wonder if moving back here was the right choice for my family. But mostly those feelings comes from there not being much upward mobility in our fields around here. I won't be surprised if in the next five years or so we're somewhere else.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:53 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Willow Springs after NYC and Ft. Lauderdale? Yes, I can imagine you think you are in the middle of nowhere!

I guess by that criteria Chicago is the middle of nowhere too.

Honestly, I am sorry you're so unhappy here. I hope you find your happy place soon. And then go there.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:54 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
...just around 2+ hrs. from the beach and 3+ hrs. to the mountains.
If the beach or the mountains are where your mind is then yeah, you're in the middle of nowhere.
Let alone the boroughs of NYC

I moved to just outside of Winston but my frame of reference is closer...
Asheville on my left, Roanoke on my right, with Fancy Gap right up the hill.
Charlotte, Raleigh, or the beach really don't figure into it at all.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:26 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
According to a friend who has been married half a dozen times, each spouse had his pluses and minuses but overall her Happiness Quotient has been the same.

I suspect that it is the same with finding the ideal place. People move south to get away from the winters then find the summers oppressive. They move to a quiet place to get away from the high prices and hustle and bustle of the big city then find themselves bored out of their gourds.

Halfway between the mountains and the ocean, means you get neither. Which one do you want?

We moved here to get away from ice and snow and live near two of our daughters. Great winters here but haven't seen either daughter in weeks. Thinking there are a lot of places with nice winters.

The good news is that houses are selling like hotcakes now.

Neighbors have just sold their and are moving to Costa Rica. Doesn't that sound nice?

Old 07-11-2013, 12:02 PM

18 posts, read 54,834 times
Retired at 46 and moved to Willow Spring almost 10 years ago, very satisfied with the move. Having lived in NJ for those years it was a pleasure to come to this great state. We always vacationed at the Outer Banks and ventured over this way to look at property while in NC. We were fortunate enough to find a nice piece of property in a great sub-division of new homes in a country setting,peace and quiet, nature all around, large garden, etc. Don't give up on all this area has to offer, you will enjoy the peace and quiet as time goes on. Other area's can always be visited. Best of luck.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:26 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,937,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
3%
I think it's 3% of those who live in Johnston County, 10% who live in Durham and 29% of those who hate Cary

Old 07-11-2013, 12:28 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
I know this question has been posted numerous times, but would like to hear the more recent regrets.... We have been living in this area for 6 years, both in North Raleigh, and now just over the Wake line in Johnston County. We are NYC born and raised, but moved here from the Ft. Lauderdale area after almost 30 yrs. living there. I will admit it was a pleasant change at first, but not so much anymore. Many people told us when we first moved here that this was a great area to live, just around 2+ hrs. From the beach and 3+ hrs. To the mountains. At a later date I mentioned this to someone and his reply made so much sense "So we are in the middle of nowhere" this has really made sense to me now, as I am at wits end from living here, I hope in short time we can get our money back from our house so we can move on to a more suitable place for us, though it's going to be challenge to figure out where to go!
PS
I am not looking for negative comments of what we should have done before moing etc. etc. just curious how many others have similar feelings ! :-)
Before you are beat up due to you posting this same sentiment over and over again, I'd like to offer this up...

We are in a seller's market. NOW is the time to SELL.

I'm not being sarcastic. I lived with a mother who HATED the place my dad's job moved us to. I heard it every day. My brothers and sister and I loved the small town that we grew up in but we had nothing else to compare it to. I hated that my mom was MISERABLE. Years later, she and my dad moved back. They lived there for a few years and then moved back to NC. NOW she loves it.

Part of what changed was HER. Or is that SHE? Anyway, you can CHOOSE to make things better or do nothing and constantly complain and nothing WILL change.

As always, I wish you the best because "I" really feel bad for people that aren't happy in their life.

Vicki

Old 07-11-2013, 12:29 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,302 times
I think in this instance "regret" is too strong of a word. Life is about experiences.

I grew up in Boston, lived in WPB for 5 years and came here. Am I going to be here forever? Heck no! But at this stage in my life, it is a good fit. I am sure that I will be back up in the Boston area in 5-6 years. I miss the people, culture, hustle and bustle of city life.

I have a buddy who was born and bred here. He asked why I wanted to move back. I told him it's not that one place is "better" than the other. Both have pluses and both have minuses. Too many times we get into the "this place is better than that place" argument or... if you're so unhappy here move... that we don't really step back and realize that there is nothing to "regret" but rather open our eyes to the fact that experiencing "different" things is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary