Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 04:44 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Yes! Robert Siegel who retires today. See my thread:

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/rad...fter-40-a.html
Will miss hearing his voice. He was the epitome of the evening rush hour radio news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidgirl View Post
David Branchccio/Kai Risdahl/Molly Wood from Market place
Love Kai Ryssdal. He has that SoCal/Western U.S. laid-back voice but recently found out that he was born and raised in Westchester County/NYC.

Also Diane Rehm will always bring me back to my college days during the commutes for mid/late-morning classes. Sad to hear her voice slowly deteriorate and then come back to the news for a story about her health problem and the "Death with Dignity" movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2021, 04:54 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Will miss hearing his voice. He was the epitome of the evening rush hour radio news!

Love Kai Ryssdal. He has that SoCal/Western U.S. laid-back voice but recently found out that he was born and raised in Westchester County/NYC.

Also Diane Rehm will always bring me back to my college days during the commutes for mid/late-morning classes. Sad to hear her voice slowly deteriorate and then come back to the news for a story about her health problem and the "Death with Dignity" movement.
I agree. Kai and Diane are high on my list also. Yes Diane has had her troubles with her voice. It didn't stop her though she was right there with the interviews.

Old 07-17-2021, 04:55 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
all time favorite....Bob Edwards

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-18-2021, 09:09 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
Its so sad fpr me to say as I end up my show playing Chuck Prophet and JaCK wHITE SEGUING INTO npr NEWS. Commie subversive nsnsense. Talks about a third wave. I shrug, exit the studio, and go to the bar. The movement of people who listen to cool music, but are pretty Republican is growing.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:27 PM

1,299 posts, read 849,213 times
NPR is a mouthpiece of official propaganda of the deep state

excellent shows on arts and music though

Old 07-18-2021, 09:42 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
Very true . Thank you. People like myself keep it going when I'm around.

Old 08-12-2022, 09:04 AM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I liked LuLu Garcia Navarro, who hosted a show (“Weekend Edition”) on Sunday mornings. But, she left in October, 2021 after being with NPR for 17 years, in various roles.

Last edited by ccm123; 08-12-2022 at 09:23 AM..

Old 12-27-2022, 06:44 AM

39 posts, read 20,350 times
NPR has/had mostly good hosts. That's based upon what I've heard in past. They have good grammar, good pronunciation (especially of) non-English names/places and pleasant enough voices. It's been awhile though since I could bear to listen to NPR more than an hour or so before turning their broadcasts off.
My issues with NPR are, although NPR affiliates purchase independently produced content which is decent enough, that content is overrun by constant self-promotion, sponsorship ads, schilling for donations (plenty of schilling for dollars outside regular NPR fund drives). I'd be interested to see what NPR pays their hosts and what compensation packages they have. Yes none of my business, but they get some government funding and they fund drive like nobody's business, so just curious how their salaries/benefits compare to hosts at big commercial radio stations.
I joked to a friend that NPR stands for ”Nattering programmed repetition.” How anyone can listen hours and hours everyday to NPR escapes me, but by nature humans can become addicted to so much stuff. In all the states I've lived, I search out good college radio stations that have news and good variety of music. At my age new things that challenge me could be beneficial (less brain atrophy than I already have). College students usually have broad areas of interest, in media, domestic/international political issues, and most important to me, in music. I don't listen much at all to music of I grew up with. I like discovering new music, new entertainment media and fresh points of view. Maybe that's you too-huh?

Last edited by Bergman; 12-27-2022 at 06:56 AM..

Old 03-28-2023, 06:20 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
our local NPR has good LOCAL hosts.
regarding national hosts, my favorites
have died/retired (Deford, for one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio