Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 08:30 AM

248 posts, read 442,544 times

Advertisements

I really enjoy the voices and styles of Ari Shapiro, David Green, Mary Louise Kelly, Windsor Johnston, Kelly Mcevers

I dont like Corva Coleman and Lakshmi Singh.

Non news anchors- I really love Marco Werman from The World, Peter Segal from Wait wait and David Branchccio/Kai Risdahl/Molly Wood from Market place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 06:44 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
Yes! Robert Siegel who retires today. See my thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/radio...fter-40-a.html

Old 01-18-2021, 05:03 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
I'm too a point where I can't listen to NPR anymore!!! I listen to 88.5 here in Seattle because I'm a huge jazz fan. Periodically, I'll tune in to the jazz songs that are sandwiched between NPR radio and I make myself a bet to see if I can listen to NPR for half an hour without them once mentioning:

1. Covid
2. Race issues.

Almost every time I lose that bet! NPR is simply repeating the old battle cries over and over and over again. While these topics are important, that I do not deny, there are other things on this planet to talk about. NPR, let's find a way to mix it up the dialogue just a little bit!!!

Old 01-22-2021, 11:42 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I'm too a point where I can't listen to NPR anymore!!! I listen to 88.5 here in Seattle because I'm a huge jazz fan. Periodically, I'll tune in to the jazz songs that are sandwiched between NPR radio and I make myself a bet to see if I can listen to NPR for half an hour without them once mentioning:
1. Covid
2. Race issues.
Almost every time I lose that bet! NPR is simply repeating the old battle cries over and over and over again. While these topics are important, that I do not deny, there are other things on this planet to talk about. NPR, let's find a way to mix it up the dialogue just a little bit!!!

Spelled to, not too.

I like Meghna Chakrbothy host of On Point. Previously she was the producer of the show when Asbrook who got fired and she took his place. Love the show
I also like Tanzina Vega host of The World.
I like Greater Boston with Brodies and Margery Eagan but sometimes I kind of get tired of the giggling and small talk but they have good interviews and people calling in which is interesting.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:48 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidgirl View Post
I really enjoy the voices and styles of Ari Shapiro, David Green, Mary Louise Kelly, Windsor Johnston, Kelly Mcevers

I dont like Corva Coleman and Lakshmi Singh.

Non news anchors- I really love Marco Werman from The World, Peter Segal from Wait wait and David Branchccio/Kai Risdahl/Molly Wood from Market place
Not limiting myself to news here:

Ari Shapiro is fine when he is just talking. I can't stand him when he interviews people because he becomes uber-polite and uber-feminine. Perhaps effete.

I don't care for David Branchachio (sp). He just comes off as kind of privileged, not a regular guy. Maybe that's because he talks about money.

I can't listen to Kerri Miller. Her emphasis and intonation is all off.

Tom Crann is intolerable, terribly harsh, gargly, grating and annoying.

I like Lakshmi and Corva and most of the others. There's one woman I hear mostly on weekends whose name I cant remember who does a lot of vocal fry, trailing off her sentences into a serrated comb-buzzsaw that I can't stand.

I mostly can't stand their weekend programming though, so I rarely listen anyway. They use the same edgy, awful background music in all of their shows.

I'm also agree with another poster about the limited fare. Yes, covid and racism are important topics but there's a lot going on in the world.

I listened to NPR all day long in 2012 when I was driving around all day, and its getting harder and harder. It seems they only cater to a certain political view these days and even though I agree with that view for the most part I don't like echo chambers. I want to hear different viewpoints and different topics. I don't want to hear the same news-bite recording every 30 and 60 minutes.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:01 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,889,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I listened to NPR all day long in 2012 when I was driving around all day, and its getting harder and harder. It seems they only cater to a certain political view these days and even though I agree with that view for the most part I don't like echo chambers. I want to hear different viewpoints and different topics. I don't want to hear the same news-bite recording every 30 and 60 minutes.
I noticed that and started calling them National Propaganda Radio. I listen to it less now.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:24 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
While a fan of AAA music and a music dj/programmer on an NPR station I am one of the more conservative staff members and grimace when I hear the NPR news breaks. My colleagues on the other hand gush with glee. I shrug and leave the studio.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:13 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Typical news stories on NPR last time I tried to listen to NPR in 2020.

Blacks and race issues.
Story about the struggle of immigrants and refugees.
Some sort of LGBTQ story.
Covid.
A story painting Trump in a negative light.
Repeat.

The station I was listening to was in LA, so the stories may slant more liberal depending on the city you are listening in from. When I was 25-30 I used to believe NPR was the station the intellectuals listen too, now that I am 40 I realize that is pretty far from the truth.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:25 AM

197 posts, read 124,792 times
It's been a long time since he left Talk of the Nation - 1999 - but I still miss Ray Suarez.

Old 05-07-2021, 12:39 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,889,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Typical news stories on NPR last time I tried to listen to NPR in 2020.

Blacks and race issues.
Story about the struggle of immigrants and refugees.
Some sort of LGBTQ story.
Covid.
A story painting Trump in a negative light.
Repeat.

The station I was listening to was in LA, so the stories may slant more liberal depending on the city you are listening in from. When I was 25-30 I used to believe NPR was the station the intellectuals listen too, now that I am 40 I realize that is pretty far from the truth.
They are still at it. Just about every week it's this:

How Systemic Racism Continues To Determine Black Health And Wealth In Chicago

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/06/99417...lth-in-chicago

But don't forget the oppression of women they hammer away at:

What Is Infrastructure? It's A Gender Issue, For Starters

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/15/98722...ic-gender-gaps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio