Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 02:19 PM

1,151 posts, read 615,539 times

Advertisements

So, now that the “resort” is over officially open, let’s hear some of your impressions and/or observations. Deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2024, 02:34 PM

I’ll go first. I think it was hastily opened and the resort clearly shows that it was built by people not in the hospitality business. I don’t think this is going to work as it stands today. I am not sure who they expect to buy $12 cupcakes even if they are topped with an edible pink flamingo.

The garage has a painted floor, light gray and no drains. Standing water was found in many places, even the harbor walk around. The garage floor looks tired and dirty already. Cheap and/or non-existent finishes abound. The fake ducks that were floating outside the main exit to the harbor are thankfully gone now. I just love walking in the impressive and massive hotel and the lobby view ahead is directly into the pricey and very busy looking food court. Low ceilings and the way the space is used bleeds rookie design. Noisy air handling equipment directly over the harbor walk around breaks the silence of the amazing harbor view. The most upscale restaurants can only be accessed from outside and, oh, that harbor walk around is 100% uncovered. The bar closest to the water can seat about 50 people in a hotel boasting over 700 rooms. The pool is better than very nice, but the view from most of the pool is blocked by one of those restaurants you’ll have to go outside to get to. I am sad but I won’t be spending a dime there.

Last edited by stank1964; 01-04-2024 at 03:40 PM..

Old 02-07-2024, 05:37 AM

79 posts, read 105,836 times
It is a beautiful fun place. The nay sayers come from the North East part of the country and that is just their nature to be that way. They get down here and they are suddenly food critics and sommeliers. I know, the Sunseeker took up land that could have been used for another strip mall-because I sure need another tattoo parlor or vape shop. Give me a break. It is good for the local economy.

Old 02-08-2024, 07:18 PM

I hear people are lining up to get those $100 minimum bar stools and $200 minimum lounge chairs over there for the Stooper Bowl.

https://www.sunseekerresorts.com/the-big-game

Old 02-11-2024, 07:20 AM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
I've been through there twice; once just to see it and another time with visitors and lunch.
It's very nice. My neighbor, who visits Las Vegas every year, kept saying it compared with Vegas (I've never been there myself, so I can't relate). Nice walkway along the waterfront, withthe restaurants overlooking the Peace River. Walls facing the river can open in good weather. One disappointing thing, which is entirely out of Sunseeker's control, is the smell of the river at low tide. The food court is entirely inside; no water view.

Prices were what I would consider somewhat high, but then again, I still get sticker shock whenever I go into any establishment anywhere. We ate lunch at Half Cracked, where I got a bowl of gumbo. It was okay; nothing to write home about.
I will go back again when we have visitors. Not being one that regularly dines out or goes to bars, I won't be making it a hang out. But all in all, I rate it a step up for the area.

Old 02-12-2024, 05:17 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
I'm a local in the area. My husband and I will continue to pass right on by the place. No plans to go there. We appreciate the natural beauty of the area, not manufactured tourist traps.

Old 02-18-2024, 12:59 PM

1,291 posts, read 176,662 times
Haven't been there yet but we're curious enough to take a look one day. Not in any rush to do so as resorts aren't our thing. It looks very nice but I was surprised at how large it is. Seems like a lot for this out-of-the-way, not-very-exciting town, so far from the beach. No malice intended, we actually like our area not being a tourist draw/beach town. It's what drew us here.

It sounds very pricey, for the accommodation and the dining, for us. Our dining-out budget is small and we won't be spending it at a food court. We'll wait til they iron out all the wrinkles before we blow our dining-out budget at one of their restaurants. I heard the Waterside Table is pretty good from a few people.

I wish them luck because if it doesn't do well, then what?

Old 03-06-2024, 07:09 PM

I recently read, in the Charlotte Sun paper, that Allegiant told its’ share holders that they expect about $15M in profit this year from the big mistake in Oort Charlotte. Now, I am not sure what costs are being factored against that $15M profit, but at that rate it will take them 50 years to get back the cost of construction. I am not sure that math is going to work.

Old 03-08-2024, 05:07 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stank1964 View Post
I recently read, in the Charlotte Sun paper, that Allegiant told its’ share holders that they expect about $15M in profit this year from the big mistake in Oort Charlotte. Now, I am not sure what costs are being factored against that $15M profit, but at that rate it will take them 50 years to get back the cost of construction. I am not sure that math is going to work.

What's the big mistake?

Old 03-09-2024, 12:32 PM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
No prices on the menus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte