Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:00 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,083,850 times

Advertisements

Great, Comcast is our provider here. I have a T1 at work, both are fine for my needs. Thanks for the information about the newspapers too. This website is a pretty helpful resource.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:21 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Will I see a lot of houses that are "boarded up" because people left to head north for the summer, or because there are a lot of distressed sales that I've heard about?

Also, does the area have any high speed internet access in the area? I expect that it does, because there seems to be a lot of good internet users - like you guys.
Most of the boarded up homes will be for those who have left for the summer. Expect to see a lot.

Do not be surprised to see quite a lot of homes for sale. One of the hardest hit areas by the housing bust & lots of homes sitting empty.

We had Embarq for internet. Never had a problem. Comcast is also in the area. Those are the only two.

I liked reading the Sun Herald; definitely very concentrated for the area.

Check out the Celtic Ray in the downtown area, it's worth a stop.

Last edited by 121804; 05-30-2008 at 08:41 PM..

Old 05-30-2008, 10:18 PM

17 posts, read 68,294 times
Quote:
We are looking for a home in the Punta Gorda Area.
Please list any information about the area that you can.
Is there nice entertainment?, dining?, night life?, etc. . .
Is there much crime?/
I have heard that it is an elderly area.
Please fill in the blanks.
Thanks,
Hey, sweetie....

I've lived and done business almost everywhere in Florida. I lived in Port Charlotte and did business between 2003 and 2005.

Here's my perspective. Yes, it is an elderly area. Which isn't such a bad thing. I don't understand why folks think elderly=bad or eldery=boring.

Crime is very minimal, 'cause it's elderly. Entertainment is best found in Ft Myers. It's not that far of a drive! Heck, I loved it!

Old 05-31-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Most of the boarded up homes will be for those who have left for the summer. Expect to see a lot.

Do not be surprised to see quite a lot of homes for sale. One of the hardest hit areas by the housing bust & lots of homes sitting empty.

We had Embarq for internet. Never had a problem. Comcast is also in the area. Those are the only two.

I liked reading the Sun Herald; definitely very concentrated for the area.

Check out the Celtic Ray in the downtown area, it's worth a stop.
I haven't tried this quote reply thing yet - so I'll see how this works.
Thanks for the reply, I will check them out. Someone else recently mentioned the Sun Herald to me. I will check it out on-line to see if I can learn more in the news about the area. Also, we get comcast here, I'm not familiar with Embarq, but will check them out as well.

What is Celtic Ray? I will be coming down in about two weeks.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funy View Post
Hey, sweetie....

I've lived and done business almost everywhere in Florida. I lived in Port Charlotte and did business between 2003 and 2005.

Here's my perspective. Yes, it is an elderly area. Which isn't such a bad thing. I don't understand why folks think elderly=bad or eldery=boring.

Crime is very minimal, 'cause it's elderly. Entertainment is best found in Ft Myers. It's not that far of a drive! Heck, I loved it!
Hey Funy,
My thought would be that crime may be less because it is elderly. I live in an elderly area here in MD, and it is pretty nice. Actually, although I am not that old I think it is a plus. My wife and I are both active, and middle age. I've heard that there are no beaches to speak of in PG or PGI, but that they are within 1/2 hour, and so are many other areas that are reachable. Being from the Mid-Atlantic we travel around a lot. Annapolis, Ellicott City, Baltimore, and DC (Washington DC) are all comutable and not too far to spend the day, go out to a venue, or go out to eat.

Up here I fish and have a boat, but really can only use it a few months each year because the weather makes it tough, and I'm more a fair weather fisherman. I've heard the fishing in Port Charlotte and the Gulf is just awesome.

I just saw a friend of mine the other day, who lives in PGI. I didn't know where he lived in Florida, or even if he lived on the Gulf side. So when I told him that we are heading down there to look for a place he filled me in about the fishing. He is avid about it. He has told me about the area (how much he loves it) many times, but not where he was located. I wasn't able to talk to him too long because we were at a party and were interupted.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I haven't tried this quote reply thing yet - so I'll see how this works.
Thanks for the reply, I will check them out. Someone else recently mentioned the Sun Herald to me. I will check it out on-line to see if I can learn more in the news about the area. Also, we get comcast here, I'm not familiar with Embarq, but will check them out as well.

What is Celtic Ray? I will be coming down in about two weeks.
The Celtic Ray is a great bar/grill. Be sure to check out Deans Mexican & Slip Knot.

PG is made for boaters & fishers. Retirees move there for that fact alone. Those who can work from home & love to boat/fish, move to PG for it, also.

It's not a happening place by any means, but it fits a lifestyle for a certain type of folk.

Embarq is just internet/ph/cable. It was the same $$ as Comcast. Same difference.

Best of luck.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:55 PM

Thanks, I've check out the newspapers. They look relatively good, not a lot of bad news compared with other areas.

I hear people complain about bugs, and read somewhere about bugs that bite that you can't see. Is that why most of the pools are caged?

Do they have deer ticks in Florida. They are everywhere in MD and carry lymes disease - really nasty if you get that as a result of a bite.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:36 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Embarq has an office up by the Port Charlotte Mall, right? Near Red Lobster?

Old 06-01-2008, 10:53 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,915,473 times
Wow! I just got back and it's looks like there has been a lot of good advice on this thread from all who have contributed.

When I was referring to PGI as having an older population I wasn't saying that as a bad thing, just stating a fact. I just like to point out all things in an area so if that's not what you're looking for you can move on, or if it's OK with you you can investigate the area more.

If you are into fishing this might be a perfect location for you. Punta Gorda and the surrounding area has some of the best fishing in the world. Also most areas have pretty quick access to the Myakka River and the open waters of the gulf. When I was a kid we used to fish off the shore of the Punta Gorda area and catch all kinds of things-red snapper, snook, redfish, etc.

I saw a mention of beaches-Punta Gorda really doesn't have any really close good beaches. The closest beach would be in Englewood or Ft. Myers.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Hey Funy,
My wife and I are both active, and middle age. I've heard that there are no beaches to speak of in PG or PGI, but that they are within 1/2 hour, and so are many other areas that are reachable. Being from the Mid-Atlantic we travel around a lot. Annapolis, Ellicott City, Baltimore, and DC (Washington DC) are all comutable and not too far to spend the day, go out to a venue, or go out to eat.
If kids are not part of the move, you guys will adjust fine in PG.

No, there is no beach nearby though you can sit on the docks & look out on the harbor.

Sanibel to your south is about 45 mins though a $6 charge to cross the bridge & then money to park. Some great little delis & shops. You can rent bikes or bring your own. We made a day of it every Sunday on Sanibel. In the summer, though, it was just for a few hours due to the heat. Fort Myers Beach is cheesy in my opionion and has no parking whatsoever.

Siesta Key is about 60 mins to the north. We never made it there but heard it's the best beach on the gulf side.

If you are open to exploring & don't mind road trips, you will find many things throughout the state. Not much in Charlotte County.

Most pools are caged due to bugs & random stuff in the air.

Never saw any deer ticks in PG but did have major issues with the fire ants which were everywhere. Be careful of those! The no see ums....well, I think it depends on the mating season. There are a lot of flying critters. Just be ready for them. Nothing you can really do about it.

(We live next to a state park now & have deer as nightly visitors all the time. This past winter there were 13 in our backyard at one time & they are so acclimatized to humans they stand right there on your patio & stare in your window!!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte