Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 02:10 PM

2,582 posts, read 2,696,424 times

Advertisements

In terms of money, you don't have to prove anything to anyone unless you're trying to look for a significant other or you hang out with friends. If your significant other has prospects or if you have friends that are or want to do improve their situation, it might be hard to be around these people. Some activities can have certain costs. Just something to be mindful of. Otherwise, if you're making enough and you're happy with your own life and not imposing on others, then you're good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 02:58 PM

8,735 posts, read 3,908,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I'm a person who don't make a lot of money. Not because I don't have the skills and knowledge to make much more money than I actually do. I do have those skills and knowledege. I just don't feel any need to prove that I have them. I just don't bother to prove anything to anyone.
Quote:
I don't feel any need to prove my accomplishments to anyone
Quote:
oh, I do have a sense of many accomplishments, and that has nothing to do with money...
Many folks feel a sense of accomplishment when they contribute to a plan, project or effort at work. It’s not ‘bad’ to acknowledge money is necessary and may play a demonstrable part in the achievement; it is reality. That said, it is also relative to finding work that challenges you and/or that you enjoy.

In other words, perhaps you really like your job (although you’ve made no mention of this), and you’re okay ‘making just enough to get by’. There is a huge difference between that scenario vs. actively rebelling against earning money or ‘not bothering’ to do so, per your thread, particularly given your stated reason. Additionally, there is a distinction between one who doesn’t have the skills or education to earn more vs. one who ‘doesn’t want to bother’ or (oddly) makes it about other people.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:06 PM

22,635 posts, read 47,782,880 times
Quote:
Over 40, and yes, I live on my own, I have a stable job
Then you are doing fine!

Old 03-26-2024, 11:45 PM

13,288 posts, read 8,484,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Many folks feel a sense of accomplishment when they contribute to a plan, project or effort at work. It’s not ‘bad’ to acknowledge money is necessary and may play a demonstrable part in the achievement; it is reality. That said, it is also relative to finding work that challenges you and/or that you enjoy.

In other words, perhaps you really like your job (although you’ve made no mention of this), and you’re okay ‘making just enough to get by’. There is a huge difference between that scenario vs. actively rebelling against earning money or ‘not bothering’ to do so, per your thread, particularly given your stated reason. Additionally, there is a distinction between one who doesn’t have the skills or education to earn more vs. one who ‘doesn’t want to bother’ or (oddly) makes it about other people.
^^ THIS^^ resonates more towards the objective summation. Well put.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:20 AM

20,184 posts, read 9,083,605 times
Pay your way
Live your way

Old 03-31-2024, 12:34 AM

880 posts, read 467,626 times
Quote:
Why?

Because I choose not to pursuit the illusion of money, as if money could buy me immortality some day?

I know that many people who live their lifes in the pursuit of money are driven by the illusion that some day, within the next decades, science will develop "immortality" and that will only be available for those who can pay for it. Well, guess what? That will never happen. There will never be immortality for sale. Rich people will keep dying just like poor people, and they will carry nothing from this world with them.

I make enough money to live a simple life, and even so I had the experience of watching a quarter-finals game of a soccer World Cup in my own city's stadium. Also, I can do kitesurfing at any weekend I want, in Cumbuco. What else can I desire in this life?

l dunno op, it's you and your normal, your happy and content so that's normal.
We only need to live us be us op the rest of the world can do what it likes been my modo whole life
When I was married and had a family yeah l wanted to do more then l wanted for them but enough was still enough.
No need a long time now though so although l probably don't make half of what most do in my country l couldn't care less have my place have what l need can do things l wanna do, my time and lifestyle is far far more important to me than more money.
l notice the guy next door getting home 6.30 6 days a wk leaves before l'm even out of bed, hrs before actually, he's house isn't an expensive place nice place though he's prob bought it 20yrs ago when things were so cheap here, he's wife works to they only have one or two adult kids l dunno wtf he's living like that for.
We have a pension here to pays more than enough for what l need so when that time comes beats me why anyone's working themselves to death for retirement. l've been doing and living things l wanna do my whole life l don't need more money for some big retirement thing.

Last edited by randomx; 03-31-2024 at 01:46 AM..

Old 03-31-2024, 04:40 AM

746 posts, read 419,414 times
As long as you don’t bum people for money. Live within your salary

Old 03-31-2024, 10:59 AM

4,261 posts, read 3,186,086 times
The way I've always looked at it, is that money is a means to an end. I am naturally a very driven person and I spent a lot of time (too much) chasing it. In turn, this has allowed me to do about anything I want. Now that I am retired and I like having a simpler life. Quite frankly, I would not consider you to be anything other than normal.....if you are happy with your decisions. However, there is one point I would make....not earning a significant amount of money during your working lifetime does have consequences on your monetary situation when you get older. Can be hard to get by on just a low amount of SS if you don't plan properly for it.

Old 03-31-2024, 01:30 PM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 23 days ago)

820 posts, read 384,977 times
Quote:
I'm a person who don't make a lot of money. Not because I don't have the skills and knowledge to make much more money than I actually do. I do have those skills and knowledege. I just don't feel any need to prove that I have them. I just don't bother to prove anything to anyone. I don't bother to make money. I just make enough money to live a simple life, and I'm happy with that.

Is this normal? Or do I have a medical condition?
Nothing wrong with it, until you have a family and they are deprived because of your irresponsibility.

When they cannot get medical care, or braces, because you went hippy it will be a detriment to them.

And the price will be steep.

And, given the forum, you are negating the survival aspect of life - it exists, if you don't think it should that is OK but it still exists.

If you think I never earned money so it doesn't matter and people need it to survive your opinion wont matter.

Old 03-31-2024, 09:26 PM

2,582 posts, read 2,696,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
Nothing wrong with it, until you have a family and they are deprived because of your irresponsibility.

When they cannot get medical care, or braces, because you went hippy it will be a detriment to them.

And the price will be steep.

And, given the forum, you are negating the survival aspect of life - it exists, if you don't think it should that is OK but it still exists.

If you think I never earned money so it doesn't matter and people need it to survive your opinion wont matter.
MalaMan, LeisureSLarry (funny profile name btw) makes good points.
So, the real question here is, are you considering a family or are you part of a family that you are taking care of? If neither of these are possibilities for you, then you're probably good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology