Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 06:33 PM

366 posts, read 169,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I'm a person who don't make a lot of money. Not because I don't have the skills and knowledge to make much more money than I actually do. I do have those skills and knowledege. I just don't feel any need to prove that I have them. I just don't bother to prove anything to anyone. I don't bother to make money. I just make enough money to live a simple life, and I'm happy with that.

Is this normal? Or do I have a medical condition?

I don't think you have medical condition, but you are definitely delusional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 08:54 PM

724 posts, read 767,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
You stated that he's a freeloader, or at least you strongly implied that. It seems as if you look down on people who aren't go-getters.

In my opinion, someone who comes here and honestly describes themself to get feedback from others doesn't deserve to be ragged on. This is the psychology forum, correct? Not the abuse forum.
I said nothing about the OP, just it's normal that some people are unmotivated for whatever reason.

I look down on people who choose not to do something to improve themselves but rather live off the gov't at the expense of others.

This is a discussion forum right? Are we on topic? why are you so sensitive?

Old 03-24-2024, 09:08 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,622,760 times
Quote:
I'm a person who don't make a lot of money. Not because I don't have the skills and knowledge to make much more money than I actually do. I do have those skills and knowledege. I just don't feel any need to prove that I have them. I just don't bother to prove anything to anyone. I don't bother to make money. I just make enough money to live a simple life, and I'm happy with that.

It just means you are free to pursue the kind of life you want, as long as you have decent savings and are not asking for family bailouts.

I wish I could make the same trade-off, but my employer has not given me any options to go down to part time work and doesn't even allow me to take unpaid days off unless I have exhausted all my vacation.

Old 03-24-2024, 09:50 AM

2,098 posts, read 1,025,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
It just means you are free to pursue the kind of life you want, as long as you have decent savings and are not asking for family bailouts.

I wish I could make the same trade-off, but my employer has not given me any options to go down to part time work and doesn't even allow me to take unpaid days off unless I have exhausted all my vacation.
Look for a new job. Or stay trapped by your definition. Your choice.

Old 03-24-2024, 10:45 AM

12,880 posts, read 9,108,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
As long as my tax dollars aren't supplementing the OP's lifestyle, he can do what makes him happy. I don't judge people in this area at this point in my life. When I was younger, I would have thought differently but being in the 9-5 meat grind for 35 years now, I have a better appreciation for work / life balance.
This. So long as you're living your life and not asking someone else to pay for it, now or later, then it's your life to live.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:50 AM

4,002 posts, read 6,822,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notghinsaw View Post
I don't think you have medical condition, but you are definitely delusional.
Why?

Because I choose not to pursuit the illusion of money, as if money could buy me immortality some day?

I know that many people who live their lifes in the pursuit of money are driven by the illusion that some day, within the next decades, science will develop "immortality" and that will only be available for those who can pay for it. Well, guess what? That will never happen. There will never be immortality for sale. Rich people will keep dying just like poor people, and they will carry nothing from this world with them.

I make enough money to live a simple life, and even so I had the experience of watching a quarter-finals game of a soccer World Cup in my own city's stadium. Also, I can do kitesurfing at any weekend I want, in Cumbuco. What else can I desire in this life?

Old 03-26-2024, 08:42 AM

8,735 posts, read 3,908,111 times
Quote:
Quote:
I'm a person who don't make a lot of money. Not because I don't have the skills and knowledge to make much more money than I actually do. I do have those skills and knowledege. I just don't feel any need to prove that I have them. I just don't bother to prove anything to anyone.
If you have the ‘skills and knowledge to make money’ but don’t actively engage/apply such because you don’t want to ‘prove you have them’ does, indeed, appear to be an unhealthy/somewhat paranoid (or nonsensically rebellious) mindset.

Quote:
I know that many people who live their lifes in the pursuit of money are driven by the illusion that some day, within the next decades, science will develop "immortality" and that will only be available for those who can pay for it.
Quote:
I make enough money to live a simple life, and even so I had the experience of watching a quarter-finals game of a soccer World Cup in my own city's stadium. Also, I can do kitesurfing at any weekend I want, in Cumbuco. What else can I desire in this life?
A sense of accomplishment, intellectual stimulation, financial security/retirement savings, valuable connections/relationships and better mental health overall as your perspective and choices in life appear to be based on faulty perceptions/delusions, as above.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:45 AM

22,635 posts, read 47,782,880 times
How old are you, and are you living on your own?

Old 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
How old are you, and are you living on your own?
Over 40, and yes, I live on my own, I have a stable job

Old 03-26-2024, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post

A sense of accomplishment
oh, I do have a sense of many accomplishments, and that has nothing to do with money... and again, I don't feel any need to prove my accomplishments to anyone... what other people think about me is not of my business, even because I can only know what they speak and/or write, since I can not read minds (and don't want to)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology