Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 10:09 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Actually for the record, the team with the most loses as a franchise in NFL history would be the Arizona Cardinals with 719. Detroit Lions are second with 624 and the Redskins are third with a tad under 600 IIRC. NOW-I will note that these clubs go back to the NFL's earliest beginnings also the fact that the Cardinals have turned their program around.

But the Cleveland fans are close behind. The Browns franchise under Paul Brown were clearly the class of the AAFC (All American Football Conference) and when they joined the NFL along with the other clubs and the first thing they did was win the NFL Championship in their first year in the league. The other NFL owners wanted in the worst way to show Cleveland who wears the big boy pants. So did NFL Commissioner Bert Bell. Well, guess who wore them? Heh. Cleveland won another few championships in the decade, the last one was in 1955. QB Otto Graham retired after that game.

And then Art Modell bought the club in 1962. And I won't go into the details there, I believe most NFL long time fans know how everything turned out with the franchise.

The Cleveland Browns have a loyal fan base that goes back decades. A very sizable fan club is in my area. In the 2010 season I traveled to Phoenix to the Cardinal/Bronco game. It was the first game for Denver after Josh McDaniels was shown the door as Bronco head coach. There were about a dozen Cleveland Brown fans tailgating in two adjoining spots in the parking lot! I stopped and talked to them for a bit. Only a few of them had tickets for the game but the rest stayed out in their Airstream and watched the Browns play in the early game, they had a Direct TV dish on top of their rig! Hardcore fans. Friendly fans. Passionate.

Good stuff Double H. You can find Browns Backers clubs everywhere. They're in almost every state, and several countries world wide. We definitely are passionate, hardcore, and very knowledgeable fans. Friendly? Well, that is debatable. Just don't show up in our stadium especially in the Dawg Pound wearing the opposing team's colors. Not that I condone the actions of my fellow fans screwing with fans from the opposing team (unless of course the other fan starts it) but we can be a bit rough. Then again, we are an old rust belt city, so I guess the roughness, and grit sort of fits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 01:53 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,615,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Actually for the record, the team with the most loses as a franchise in NFL history would be the Arizona Cardinals with 719. Detroit Lions are second with 624 and the Redskins are third with a tad under 600 IIRC. NOW-I will note that these clubs go back to the NFL's earliest beginnings also the fact that the Cardinals have turned their program around.

But the Cleveland fans are close behind. The Browns franchise under Paul Brown were clearly the class of the AAFC (All American Football Conference) and when they joined the NFL along with the other clubs and the first thing they did was win the NFL Championship in their first year in the league. The other NFL owners wanted in the worst way to show Cleveland who wears the big boy pants. So did NFL Commissioner Bert Bell. Well, guess who wore them? Heh. Cleveland won another few championships in the decade, the last one was in 1955. QB Otto Graham retired after that game.

And then Art Modell bought the club in 1962. And I won't go into the details there, I believe most NFL long time fans know how everything turned out with the franchise.

The Cleveland Browns have a loyal fan base that goes back decades. A very sizable fan club is in my area. In the 2010 season I traveled to Phoenix to the Cardinal/Bronco game. It was the first game for Denver after Josh McDaniels was shown the door as Bronco head coach. There were about a dozen Cleveland Brown fans tailgating in two adjoining spots in the parking lot! I stopped and talked to them for a bit. Only a few of them had tickets for the game but the rest stayed out in their Airstream and watched the Browns play in the early game, they had a Direct TV dish on top of their rig! Hardcore fans. Friendly fans. Passionate.
Thanks, HH. That's excellent history/info about the Cards which I wasn't aware of!

Old 01-07-2016, 08:50 AM

45,591 posts, read 27,215,643 times
More from Manziel-mania...

Manziel cited for driving with expired plates
Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel was cited for driving with expired plates on his vehicle on Saturday, a Cleveland-area television station reported.

North Olmstead, Ohio, police pulled Manziel over at 8:28 a.m. Manziel can avoid appearing in court if he pays the $125 fine before Jan. 21.
It's all downhill right now...

----------------------------

When you have Brandon Marshall telling you to get your life together, that's saying something.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:51 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
More from Manziel-mania...

Manziel cited for driving with expired plates
Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel was cited for driving with expired plates on his vehicle on Saturday, a Cleveland-area television station reported.

North Olmstead, Ohio, police pulled Manziel over at 8:28 a.m. Manziel can avoid appearing in court if he pays the $125 fine before Jan. 21.
It's all downhill right now...

----------------------------

When you have Brandon Marshall telling you to get your life together, that's saying something.
God, now a simple traffic violation is news for this guy? People need to get a life and do something else besides focusing on Johnny. Best thing for Johnny to do is to get out of Cleveland and hope to end up someone with a veteran locker room that can help him get it together.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
God, now a simple traffic violation is news for this guy? People need to get a life and do something else besides focusing on Johnny. Best thing for Johnny to do is to get out of Cleveland and hope to end up someone with a veteran locker room that can help him get it together.

Well... Johnny kind of puts himself out there with his antics off of the field. I was the first to give him the benefit of the doubt after he was drafted, and said I would not criticize him so long as what he does off the field does not interfere with his job. Sadly, he did not take his rookie year seriously, and chose to continue with his off the field nonsense, instead of getting serious about his career as a QB in the NFL. I do agree that a traffic violation is small potatoes, but let's face it this individual has not shown the leadership qualities of an elite QB like you would see with a Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Aaron Rodgers. Is he athletic? Absolutely? Does he have potential? Possibly. However; the fact that he can't seem to stop attracting negative attention is pushing him more towards being another Ryan Leaf.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:32 PM

8,273 posts, read 8,664,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
It's a minor offense but it is one more example of how he thinks the rules aren't for him.

The Browns are one of the oldest teams by player age. He has been in a veteran locker room for 2 years.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:54 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,681,790 times
Browns just hired a quality guy as new HC, Hue Jackson.

Johnny is on his way out! Fresh start for the Browns!

Old 01-13-2016, 01:14 PM

Good luck Hue! You're gonna need it!

Old 01-13-2016, 04:37 PM

14,329 posts, read 14,629,286 times
So this is good for the Browns, but a major task for Hue Jackson. Manziel, what happens to him and where does he end up? A veteran locker room isn't going to help if his mindset isn't in the right place.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
So this is good for the Browns, but a major task for Hue Jackson. Manziel, what happens to him and where does he end up? A veteran locker room isn't going to help if his mindset isn't in the right place.

At the rate he is going....bagging groceries. Lebron James has pretty much disassociated himself with Manziel, and I heard Nike is thinking of pulling their endorsements with him. It's too bad, but he brought all of this on himself with his off the field antics. This guy grew up a spoiled rich kid, and has been coddled all of his life, so a dose of reality is what may be needed here. I'll be suprised if he is on this roster in 2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football