Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 04:03 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where in CO are you? I moved to CO recently, and have found it to be true so far. I don't think everyone would say it, if it weren't true. And the snowfalls are pretty light, not like in the upper Midwest or NE.
We live in northern Colorado/Larimer County, just south of Ft. Collins. This is our second time living in Colorado, being that we lived here before in both Englewood (across from Fiddler's Green) and then in a house in Parker. A total of 5 1/2 years and left in Oct. 2007. During those years, we went to darn near every PRCA rodeo on the Front Range/East Slope and flew to the NFR in Las Vegas in Decembers. One thing for sure, less population, less crime, less traffic back then.

What do you mean "have found it to be true so far"? As far as "snowfall pretty light".........I don't think so! We were living in Parker in December 2006, when the Holiday Blizzard hit. That blizzard is in the Weather Channel Archives. We got a number of feet and the Denver metro area was all but shut down. And, I've got video/photos of snowstorms/blizzards we encounter living here before. In March or April of last year, 2021, we got some 30 inches of snow right in our apartment complex. I've got pictures/video of snowstorms and that 30 inches.

Actually, from what I remember, my family had less snow on our small farm in northeastern Indiana than what hits here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 11:34 PM

982 posts, read 539,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I don't think that there's any more inked people around here that you'd find anywhere else? It's become a nationwide fad. Even women are getting them too. Something that you'd hardly ever see before. I think it all started with those biker TV shows? American Choppers, Biker build off, Jesse James etc. I used to watch them all as I've worked on cars my entire life and am interested in anything that has an internal combustion engine.

I remember one episode of American Choppers where Paul Jr. mentioned that everyone now wants to get a tattoo because they want to look like a bad ass. But now that it's become a fad no one looks like a bad ass. Paul Jr. unlike his father doesn't have any tattoo's.

I'm not into any of that either. I've got much better things to spend my money on. But it's really not up to me to decide for other people if that's what makes them happy.

Because of our relatively mild four seasons there are quite a few bikers in our area. You can pretty much ride year round. You'll see a lot of them downtown on the square. They're good people, mind their own business and don't cause any trouble. Tattoo's are part of the biker lifestyle. Myself, whenever I go downtown I certainly don't feel intimidated or unsafe around them.

Arizona is also a very 2nd Amendment friendly state. Especially here in Yavapai County. Occasionally you'll see people going about their daily business openly carrying a sidearm. Yet nobody gets all bent outta's shape over it or even bats an eye. Which is fine by me too.
More then any other place I've lived or visited long term.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
More then any other place I've lived or visited long term.
And, this means? Please explain. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:56 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,796,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveRodeo View Post
And, this means? Please explain. Thanks.
The bolded says there are more bikers around here than anywhere. He was agreeing.....

Old 02-24-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
The bolded says there are more bikers around here than anywhere. He was agreeing.....
That many bikers (Harley) there? And, it would, sort of, scare us if we seen someone "carrying" openly. Have never lived anywhere we seen that.

However, did happen to see a guy walk into Walmart here with a "concealed" once. He just happen to open his coat enough to see the holster/gun on his belt. Didn't look anything like an Undercover Officer or Off-Duty one. And, Walmart has a sign right on the door, "No Firearms Allowed". So much for signs and obeying them.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:55 AM

479 posts, read 801,294 times
I guess me and the bikers go downtown during different time periods. I rarely see motorcyclists anywhere in Prescott though I know Harley groups do day trips up from the valley because I have friends that do it. 95% of them are retired cops, firefighters and military type folks.

As far as "open carry". I don't know why that would scare you. At least you know he has a gun. On the flip side, you have no idea who is carrying concealed....or do you just assume that nobody is carrying because you can't see it?

Old 02-24-2022, 10:13 AM

7,501 posts, read 4,348,215 times
Quote:
That many bikers (Harley) there? And, it would, sort of, scare us if we seen someone "carrying" openly. Have never lived anywhere we seen that.

However, did happen to see a guy walk into Walmart here with a "concealed" once. He just happen to open his coat enough to see the holster/gun on his belt. Didn't look anything like an Undercover Officer or Off-Duty one. And, Walmart has a sign right on the door, "No Firearms Allowed". So much for signs and obeying them.
Arizona has always been an open carry state. As such it's not unusual to see people openly carrying a sidearm while going about their daily business. There's really nothing to be afraid of. If that's something that would scare you then perhaps Arizona may not be the place for you?

If you do decide to move here and advocate trying to change Arizona's gun laws to your liking then you can expect to be met with fierce resistance. Especially in Prescott and Yavapai County. Yavapai County along with 4 other counties and now the entire State of Arizona have declared themselves as 2nd Amendment sanctuaries.

Arizona has now become a Constitutional Carry state where a permit is not required to carry a sidearm either open or concealed. At one time open carry was the only way to lawfully carry a sidearm in Arizona. Then in 1994 concealed carry became lawful only with a permit. Until 2010 when Gov. Jan Brewer signed legislation which dropped the permit requirement altogether.

Permits are optional for those who want one. With a permit you have reciprocity with 37 other state's. You don't have to get a NICS check when buying a firearm from a licensed dealer. You can enter establishments that serve alcohol for consumption on their premises providing that it's not posted and you don't drink. You can lawfully carry a loaded firearm within 1000 ft. of a school grounds but not on the grounds itself.

As for the "bikers" I probably should have called them motorcycle enthusiasts? Because that's exactly what they are motorcycle enthusiasts. They come from all walks of life and professions. They love their motorcycles and love to ride. I've even seen some riding when it's freezing cold outside. Now that's dedication. I've yet to hear of any "biker brawls" or hear of them harassing any of the citizens or tourists during the 12 years that we've lived here. As a "car guy" I've met and know quite a few of them from attending the local car and motorcycle shows. I've yet to meet any one of them that I didn't like or trust.

Although there was a chapter of the Hells Angels in Skull Valley and I believe that they once had a club house in Chino Valley. There was a shoot out with them and a rival motorcycle gang years ago. They've long been disbanded. I think that there may be one or two members of the Hells Angels still living in Skull Valley? The overwhelmingly vast majority of motorcycle enthusiasts do not belong to outlaw motorcycle gangs or are engaged in any illegal activity. At any rate I certainly do not feel uncomfortable around them when I see or walk by them down on the square.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:12 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
W

What do you mean "have found it to be true so far"? As far as "snowfall pretty light".........I don't think so! We were living in Parker in December 2006, when the Holiday Blizzard hit. That blizzard is in the Weather Channel Archives. We got a number of feet and the Denver metro area was all but shut down. And, I've got video/photos of snowstorms/blizzards we encounter living here before. In March or April of last year, 2021, we got some 30 inches of snow right in our apartment complex. I've got pictures/video of snowstorms and that 30 inches.

Actually, from what I remember, my family had less snow on our small farm in northeastern Indiana than what hits here.
The weather has gotten milder since 2006, though. Significantly so. Drier, too. There was a snowfall, or series of them, in one spring month of 2021, but what about the winter months? If someone's contemplating moving to the area, talking about 2006 isn't all that relevant.

In any case, back to Prescott, AZ, the winter/spring weather that much further south has changed a lot in the last 10-12 years. Snowfalls are more rare, and generally much lighter than they used to be, but there can be some slight variation some years.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:26 AM

7,501 posts, read 4,348,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rider View Post
I guess me and the bikers go downtown during different time periods. I rarely see motorcyclists anywhere in Prescott though I know Harley groups do day trips up from the valley because I have friends that do it. 95% of them are retired cops, firefighters and military type folks.

As far as "open carry". I don't know why that would scare you. At least you know he has a gun. On the flip side, you have no idea who is carrying concealed....or do you just assume that nobody is carrying because you can't see it?
That sounds about right. Many of the one's that I know are. I don't know where those that come up to the square are from or what their backgrounds are? But we often see a lot of them parked downtown around The Palace and of course the car shows. The one's that attend the car shows are the one's that I know. Arizona for the most part has nice weather year round and many of it's roads are ideal for riding a motorcycle.

I've always wanted to own a motorcycle but cars have kept me busy and I'd rather be on 4 wheels. Too many reckless drivers on the road no matter which state you live in. The advent of cell phone's have made things progressively worse. I went to a trucking school and learned how to drive tractor trailers. If people aren't afraid around an 80 ft. long 40 ton vehicle they sure as hell don't care about a motorcycle. I went for 26 weekends, that was enough for me, a trucker I was not to be.

The gentleman that own's the '46 Indian (first picture top left) told me that he rode that bike cross country. He said that one of the worst parts was going over the George Washington Bridge into Ft. Lee N.J. That takes guts in a modern car let alone a 76 year old motorcycle!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking About A Move To Prescott-img_6771.jpg   Thinking About A Move To Prescott-img_4273.jpg   Thinking About A Move To Prescott-img_2451.jpg   Thinking About A Move To Prescott-img_3107.jpg   Thinking About A Move To Prescott-img_1614.jpg  

Thinking About A Move To Prescott-img_2448.jpg   Thinking About A Move To Prescott-img_4172.jpg  

Old 02-24-2022, 11:56 AM

Well, we sure aren't against firearms. My 74 year old wife has a Smith & Wesson 9mm handgun and a Ruger 10/22 we both shoot at a range. Not totally against "Concealed", but neither of us really want to see "open carry" and that is our choice. People don't have to agree with that choice, but there are many choices people make that others disagree with, including having smokers as friends.

Now, when it comes to motorcycles, I've had two Kawaski's and surgery (screws) on left ankle from a solo accident on one. When I first met my wife, my sole transportation was Kawaski 650 4-K (four pipes into one). I rode it everywhere and even in rain. Had raingear for that. I took my wife to work one time on it and co-workers asked her "are you a motor mama now?".

When we lived in Jacksonville, Florida, there was a Harley Dealer near us. Twice a year they would have a Night Ride, lead by JSO (Jacksonville Sheriff's Office) Motor Officer and patrol SUV and car, with a couple of Motor Officers taking up the rear. We would be across the street at Denny's watching these beautifully lite-up bikes come streaming out of the Dealer headed to the freeway. And, one time, while eating breakfast at the same Denny's, we met and talked to some Buffalo Soldier MC that were there. They were very, very nice!

Due to the kinds of winters we can get here in northern Colorado, very little motorcycle riding done here in winter. But, if the weather is nice, and somewhat warm, like it will be next Thursday (60), they will be "out and about", but not a whole lot of them. There is a Harley Dealer on the other end of this city, by the freeway. They have a Harley Gathering each summer and boy to the local Harley riders show up. No problems that we've ever heard of.

If I was to ever, which will never happen, get another motorcycle, it would be a Honda Goldwing. I gave up my motorcycle license in 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott