Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 08:03 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,248,713 times

Advertisements

This year we moved into a cabin at 8700 ft elevation in Colorado where we will spend summers (winter in Az) and can understand your enthusiasm for your very cool place. The one bad thing as mentioned is the wild fire risk and it will be a little stressful at times. We get the same Monsoon here that Az gets which was on the light side and hotter than usual and for a while we had an evacuation kit put together but I think we are hopefully past that now. The local fire dept will have some guidelines on how to mitigate but your main motivator will be your insurance company. I had an audit from the insurance company a few years back and they gave a list of things I had to do or get dropped. Not a huge deal and good things to do.

The pictures of your property look like its fairly clean of ground fuel which is good. I noticed in your house drawing that there is a fire place. I know someone who built a house in my local Colorado area recently and I dont think they were allowed a fire place in the new build?? Maybe that is a local thing or I dont have all the details.. All the older builds do have some ability to burn wood (wood stoves etc). I have a wood stove insert. Reason I bring this up is that I am in the middle of an Aspen grove which produces a fair amount of dead shoots and I spend maybe 10 hours a week (1.6 acre) with a chain saw and log splitter cleaning things up. Ie, I am constantly mitigating but it ends up a good thing as I can burn what I clean up. Im retired so actually somewhat enjoy the time with a chain saw and log splitter.. We are here for about six months and burn wood for about three of those months.

Anyhow.. looks like a huge amount of fun and I have enjoyed the pictures!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 02:28 PM

3 posts, read 3,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Very exited to start this adventure! Wife and I bought a 2 acre piece of land off of Walker Rd and Big Bug Mesa Rd and are doing a true log home, should be starting site work next week.

We kind of just stumbled on the area after looking at the area east of Payson for a bit, which was a 2.5 hour drive from out house in NW Phoenix. The lot in Walker is only a 1.5 hour drive (have made it there as quick as 1:22 door to door before). Am amazed that such a difference in scenery exists so close by, love that Lynx lake is less than a 10 min drive and that Costco is right there as you come up from Phoenix.

Was pretty surprised at some of the prices, both for land and what it costs to actually build a log cabin but going ahead full steam!

Anyway, looking forward to it and our new community!
I just stumbled across this blog and your post. I too am building on 2 acres off Walker Rd, just down from the fire station. I'd love to personally hear about your experience. I found a local General contractor who's done quite a few log homes up there. We are hopefully going to be getting the site permit soon so we can start moving dirt. It sounds like your a few months ahead of me. I plan to be up there a good bit, helping on the build. I went with a kit from newhomesteadusa. If your open to sharing your experience with me, I'd love to have a conversation. Please message me directly as the blog won't let me direct message you yet. If not, I understand. Good luck with the cabin.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 10-05-2020 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: remove website

Old 07-30-2023, 11:17 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,938,126 times
Well, it's been some time since I posted any updates on here and quite a bit has been done since, though can't believe it's been over 3 YEARS since we started this project. Getting close to the finish line though!

As with most project it seems, especially with what's happened with inflation over the past couple of years, its way way way over budget but we're loving how its coming out and can't wait till its fully done!

Here are a bunch of photos as the project has progressed!

Old 07-30-2023, 02:32 PM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Wow! Real nice, congratulations! Thanks for sharing!

Old 07-31-2023, 06:09 PM

983 posts, read 514,208 times
Very nice place! I like the woods location also. I like that area of town.

The in floor heating is going to make winters warmer. Looks well insulated. Will you spring for solar or geothermal?

Your garage is bigger than my house I think, but I did just splurge on a 16 X 16 Tuff Shed with a nice section of south facing roof with lots of sun exposure (I dont have near the trees that you do) so I am considering making it solar powered for lights and power tool charging.

Old 07-31-2023, 06:39 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,938,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
Very nice place! I like the woods location also. I like that area of town.

The in floor heating is going to make winters warmer. Looks well insulated. Will you spring for solar or geothermal?

Your garage is bigger than my house I think, but I did just splurge on a 16 X 16 Tuff Shed with a nice section of south facing roof with lots of sun exposure (I dont have near the trees that you do) so I am considering making it solar powered for lights and power tool charging.

Thank you!

And oh yeah, lots and lots of solar with a battery for backup as well (I own a solar company )

Old 08-04-2023, 02:01 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Nice cabin, can't wait to see the final results!

Old 08-05-2023, 12:27 PM

983 posts, read 514,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Thank you!

And oh yeah, lots and lots of solar with a battery for backup as well (I own a solar company )
I guess that is a no brainer then, lol.

Are you using solar for the in floor heat? Or is that going to be gas?

Will there be a heat exchanger in the fireplace to scavenge heat for the in floor circuit? I had a fireplace system like that in my house when I lived in Italy (it went to radiators) , it worked really well in the winter. Grab that heat before it runs up the chimney!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott