Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 04:19 PM

146 posts, read 157,629 times

Advertisements

It’s typically over 100k per homeless person spent directly, with millions to billions more spent on special projects by the Feds…like hotel rooms and prostitute and drug delivery while there.

How long will businesses put up with the uncertainty and losses? How long before all revenue producers close and pack up…leaving behind vacant buildings and costs in place of revenue. The tax burden on those that work continues to rise, while thise that done continue to freeload…with no consequences.

I moved out here 3 years ago. In my 40 plus years of life I had seen a handful of homeless people but only in Chicago. My kids had never seen one. Out here it’s accepted as normal. It’s not…there are tons of cities where there are none. A child could figure out they go where they can get the most benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 10:54 AM

10,995 posts, read 20,647,463 times
I don't think Portland residents see this as normal. We want these folks off the streets. IMHO they should start with the campers most amenable to supportive housing as they are the most likely to be able to 'graduate'. One major issue is that rentals are expensive even for middle-income residents. Not only do we need housing for the destitute we need more market-rate apartments.

I still think closing the state mental hospitals was stupid. They promised community services for that population which never materialized.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:42 PM

1,066 posts, read 902,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlud View Post
It’s typically over 100k per homeless person spent directly, with millions to billions more spent on special projects by the Feds…like hotel rooms and prostitute and drug delivery while there.

How long will businesses put up with the uncertainty and losses? How long before all revenue producers close and pack up…leaving behind vacant buildings and costs in place of revenue. The tax burden on those that work continues to rise, while thise that done continue to freeload…with no consequences.

I moved out here 3 years ago. In my 40 plus years of life I had seen a handful of homeless people but only in Chicago. My kids had never seen one. Out here it’s accepted as normal. It’s not…there are tons of cities where there are none. A child could figure out they go where they can get the most benefits.
Which cities have no homeless people? Fairer weather cities will always draw people who have to live outside. It's a national problem to solve, cities can't solve homelessness alone.

Old 06-26-2021, 05:30 PM

18,953 posts, read 8,583,239 times
Will be interesting the next few heat days...

Old 06-27-2021, 10:42 AM

There are literally thousands of city’s across the country with no homeless people living out in the streets. If you lived in the west coast your entire life you probably wouldn’t know that. It is not normal at all to see in the Midwest outside of Detroit and Chicago for the most part, although Recently in Minneapolis as well.

Fair weather is part of it, but the overall “benefit” package is what they are looking at. Places that give them lots of stuff, or where they won’t be bothered or arrested etc. it’s not just the weather, but literally every policy choice that is made by a city/county/state.

I proposed a plan to have homeless people in California move inland where you can get them cheap housing instead of the taxpayers spending 700k plus per unit to house one and people responded angrily saying you can’t make them work and it’s too hot there. Sorry, but making excuses and enabling at multiple levels has got us to where we are at.

Old 06-27-2021, 04:35 PM

10,111 posts, read 7,313,757 times
About half the homeless are people that can be rehabilitated and are typical stories of falling through the cracks that could happen to any of us. Once you're on the street, even perfectly healthy people get into a battle for their mental health. Being on the street takes its toll, it's a constant unrelenting stress.

About half are there because they're mentally sick, or they WANT to be there (probably also sick, but they also don't want help).

Old 06-27-2021, 04:44 PM

10,111 posts, read 7,313,757 times
Quote:

I'm from Texas and there are plenty of homeless there. The difference, "enabling" as you put it, is more a lack of abuse from what I've seen. I once saw a police officer in a smallish Texas town threaten a homeless man if he did not leave town. He left, I never saw that homeless man again. So that tactic had its desired effect. I suspect that officer was not alone in treating them that way, and knowing the regional culture, it was similarly intolerant of homelessness and all that goes with it. That town had very few homeless.

Yeah, in liberal places they talk about how it's immoral to criminalize poverty and abuse the most vulnerable. Homeless can thus camp without getting harassed.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
There are literally thousands of city’s across the country with no homeless people living out in the streets. If you lived in the west coast your entire life you probably wouldn’t know that. It is not normal at all to see in the Midwest outside of Detroit and Chicago for the most part, although Recently in Minneapolis as well.

Fair weather is part of it, but the overall “benefit” package is what they are looking at. Places that give them lots of stuff, or where they won’t be bothered or arrested etc. it’s not just the weather, but literally every policy choice that is made by a city/county/state.

I proposed a plan to have homeless people in California move inland where you can get them cheap housing instead of the taxpayers spending 700k plus per unit to house one and people responded angrily saying you can’t make them work and it’s too hot there. Sorry, but making excuses and enabling at multiple levels has got us to where we are at.
Do you not know how to quote?

Anyways, I've seen homeless in Omaha, Des Moines, K.C. St. Louis, Cincinnati, Columbus, etc etc etc. I have to question which midwest cities you've even been to. Even Sioux Falls has been combating homelessness and losing.
https://www.argusleader.com/story/ne...ss/4298038002/

As for your plan, I can't see how Portland shipping homeless people to a midwest city could backfire. lol.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
About half the homeless are people that can be rehabilitated and are typical stories of falling through the cracks that could happen to any of us. Once you're on the street, even perfectly healthy people get into a battle for their mental health. Being on the street takes its toll, it's a constant unrelenting stress.

About half are there because they're mentally sick, or they WANT to be there (probably also sick, but they also don't want help).
That's the crux of the matter. You have to identify the people that want help and want out. The people who are mentally ill and decide if you can legally have them institutionalized, or determine some kind of way to handle the issue. The drug users and determine if they can be helped, or maybe look at treating them with hospitalized dosing schedules like can be seen in Europe. And finally the people who just want to be there, it's hard to tolerate that.

The thing is it's a national problem, states and cities haven't been able to solve it and if one state has a good program, the burden keeps falling on that state and overwhelms it.

Old 06-28-2021, 10:41 AM

Yes, when I hit quote it brings up 2 pop up ads so I don’t, and if you can read the thread and comprehend quotes are not necessary.

Inland does not mean Midwest, do you not know that? Simply inland from the coasts or ports to lower cost areas where they can get out of the cities and perhaps work and get off addictions, even the same state.

You have successfully named a few cities that have homeless, congrats I guess you are right that means they are everywhere. Or you could try the thousands of small town parts of the world or populations under 100,000 where many live and grow up but never see a homeless person until they go to a big city.

Obviously your smugness limits your critical thinking capacity, my apologies for your situation and hopefully you can get the care you need
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland