Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 10:02 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,055,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
No room left in ID, especially since much of it is under 'wilderness area' designation, and what's left is either Mormon owned and controlled, or filled with LEO retirees from other states. ID needs more s-p-a-c-e.
Oh give me a break. If there is no more space, then how is Idaho growing 3.4% per year? Did it just fill up yesterday? The NO VACANCY sign just turned on?

Idaho has half the population density of Oregon. If you want to live in Idaho, then move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 10:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

...If you want to live in Idaho, then move there.
Much easier to redraw the borders, Then you don't have to move

Nearly all the people I know who have moved to ID from WA and OR, are from the 'east-side'.

The West-side politics would be an easy super majority without the dilution of the east side votes. WS doesn't give a rip about the needs of the ES (to be free to operate businesses and farms... so

ReDraw the borders. Win:win

You did note how much of ID is federally owned (or not habitable... wilderness, reservation, desert, volcanic, geo-thermal, federal used for Nuclear testing..) in your density calculation, right? Boise has been rated as fastest growing in price and qty for several yrs. As an Ag and industry 'intelligent' government...They need more SPACE. CA residents have to go somewhere (and many plan to move to ID). CA, OR, WA businesses, ranches and farms need a place to operate. ID could easily double in size and still run out of room. Farms and ranches require a lot of space and are very hard to move. But it is very easy to ReDraw the state boundaries. Takes a week at the computer and saves millions of dollars and hours of time relocating farms, ranches, businesses.

It's a great and very practical idea.

Old 10-24-2022, 10:57 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:

Nearly all the people I know who have moved to ID from WA and OR, are from the 'east-side'.

The West-side politics would be an easy super majority without the dilution of the east side votes. WS doesn't give a rip about the needs of the ES (to be free to operate businesses and farms... so

You did note how much of ID is federally owned (or not habitable... wilderness, reservation, desert, volcanic, geo-thermal, federal used for Nuclear testing..) in your density calculation, right? Boise has been rated as fastest growing in price and qty for several yrs. As an Ag and industry 'intelligent' government...They need more SPACE. CA residents have to go somewhere (and many plan to move to ID). CA, OR, WA businesses, ranches and farms need a place to operate. ID could easily double in size and still run out of room. Farms and ranches require a lot of space and are very hard to move. But it is very easy to ReDraw the state boundaries. Takes a week at the computer and saves millions of dollars and hours of time relocating farms, ranches, businesses.

Not only is it not easier to redraw the borders, it's virtually impossible.

Old 10-25-2022, 10:48 AM

333 posts, read 328,450 times
Quote:

There is so, so much wrong with this.
  1. A state is not its land mass. A state is its people and government. The fact that a large majority of the residents of a large majority of Oregon's land mass are conservative makes no difference whatsoever when they are a tiny minority of the state population..
  2. Oregon is just as federally owned as Idaho
  3. Idaho would have to pay Oregon many billions of dollars for all the infrastructure
  4. I spend plenty of time on the East side of the state. Farms and businesses are doing no better or worse than anywhere else.
  5. Politics are always in flux. Oregon used to be a rural red state. Then an influx of residents in its urban areas changed the complexion of state politics. Sound familiar? Boise's growth could easily lead to Idaho becoming a blue state within 30 years.

All this is is a handful of people who cannot handle being in the minority. Take it from someone who's been in the minority since the day he was born. It's not that bad. Just live your life, or, if you really can't handle it, go somewhere where you will be in the majority.

None of this even deserves any thought or consideration because there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY IT WILL EVER HAPPEN. The obstacles are truly insurmountable.

Old 10-25-2022, 11:48 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,856,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeezy View Post
There is so, so much wrong with this.
  1. A state is not its land mass. A state is its people and government. The fact that a large majority of the residents of a large majority of Oregon's land mass are conservative makes no difference whatsoever when they are a tiny minority of the state population..
  2. Oregon is just as federally owned as Idaho
  3. Idaho would have to pay Oregon many billions of dollars for all the infrastructure
  4. I spend plenty of time on the East side of the state. Farms and businesses are doing no better or worse than anywhere else.
  5. Politics are always in flux. Oregon used to be a rural red state. Then an influx of residents in its urban areas changed the complexion of state politics. Sound familiar? Boise's growth could easily lead to Idaho becoming a blue state within 30 years.

All this is is a handful of people who cannot handle being in the minority. Take it from someone who's been in the minority since the day he was born. It's not that bad. Just live your life, or, if you really can't handle it, go somewhere where you will be in the majority.

None of this even deserves any thought or consideration because there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY IT WILL EVER HAPPEN. The obstacles are truly insurmountable.
Sometimes movements occur knowing they cannot achieve what is stated to be the ultimate goal. Movements can add value by just bringing attention to a topic that may need attention.

For at least two decades, OR Democrats in power have gone far too left for this state. I know plenty of Democrats (of means) who have moved away from OR after admitting the same.
I have heard; "I am a Democrat but I did NOT vote for this stupidity" too many times to discount it.

I see these "Move to Idaho" referendums as trying to bring attention to something that likely NEEDS attention. Heck, these people are using their vote to peaceably try and make change. This should be admired.

I mean, they could be just as scummy as the crap Portland, Salem ANTIFA/BLM punks who whine, yell, stop commerce, hurt people and burn other people's stuff to bring attention to their "cause." After a year of destruction, did those idiots move the needle??

I will take the anti Portland/Salem crowd any day.

Old 10-25-2022, 03:36 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,103,672 times
I have heard no interest in the Idaho delegation to Congress that they are interested in adding Oregon counties to Idaho. I'm guessing the Oregon delegation isn't pursuing giving eastern counties to Idaho either. I live in Idaho, and grew up and got married in Oregon. I haven't heard of anyone in Idaho that I associate with saying they are looking forward to having the Eastern Oregon counties added to Idaho. It's more a "chuckle" and "yeah, they hate Portland over there in Eastern Oregon. We don't need that mess."

Good Luck, write your congressmen, and dream on...dream until your dreams come true...

Old 10-25-2022, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
For at least two decades, OR Democrats in power have gone far too left for this state. I know plenty of Democrats (of means) who have moved away from OR after admitting the same.
I have heard; "I am a Democrat but I did NOT vote for this stupidity" too many times to discount it.
Weird. I don't know a single person who has left Oregon for solely political reasons, from the left or right. I know people who have moved to the suburbs or to the westside over quality of life issues, but no one who went to some red state because of local politics. Seems like a pretty petty reason to uproot your life and your family.

They're just whining because the party they support aren't winning statewide elections, and are a distinct minority. I'm sure Democrats in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin feel the same way. But how entitled must you be to have an expectation of political satisfaction despite the fact that you're in the minority by a significant margin?

If they just wait, Oregon's political winds will blow their way once again. It was only 13 years ago that one of Oregon's US Senators was a Republican Mormon from Pendleton.

Old 10-25-2022, 08:45 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,856,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeezy View Post
Weird. I don't know a single person who has left Oregon for solely political reasons, from the left or right. I know people who have moved to the suburbs or to the westside over quality of life issues, but no one who went to some red state because of local politics. Seems like a pretty petty reason to uproot your life and your family.

They're just whining because the party they support aren't winning statewide elections, and are a distinct minority. I'm sure Democrats in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin feel the same way. But how entitled must you be to have an expectation of political satisfaction despite the fact that you're in the minority by a significant margin?

If they just wait, Oregon's political winds will blow their way once again. It was only 13 years ago that one of Oregon's US Senators was a Republican Mormon from Pendleton.
Its not pure politics that is causing Dems to leave. It is cost. My wife works in personal finance. I stated that I have heard this from Dems "with means". Many of her clients (many lifelong Oregon D's)have moved to lower cost states. They are finally recognizing that Progressive D insanity hits them in the pocketbook.
This is a fact.

I hope you are correct that Oregon can change its tune. Last several years have been nasty here.

Old 10-25-2022, 10:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Its not pure politics that is causing Dems to leave. It is cost. ...

I hope you are correct that Oregon can change its tune. Last several years have been nasty here.
last 40 yrs has been very left leaning in OR. Didn't happen 13 yrs ago with (1) conservative member of Senate.

all (100%) of the oregonians I know who have moved to ID did so entirely for politics / nanny state / wokeness. Secondary was for personal safety and right to bear arms (for the whacko's who might visit ID from OR, CA, CO, WA...)

I'm not worried about being in the minority, I lived and worked overseas for 38 yrs and was ALWAYS the dinky minority. + can't think of anything or anyone I have ever voted for in WA, OR, or CO that actually passed.

OR and WA west side edicts are a burden on businesses and farmers (I work with them every day).

If you're filing and paying your qrtly's and workmans comp... you get the picture.

Old 10-25-2022, 11:46 PM

Quote:
last 40 yrs has been very left leaning in OR. Didn't happen 13 yrs ago with (1) conservative member of Senate.

all (100%) of the oregonians I know who have moved to ID did so entirely for politics / nanny state / wokeness. Secondary was for personal safety and right to bear arms (for the whacko's who might visit ID from OR, CA, CO, WA...)

I'm not worried about being in the minority, I lived and worked overseas for 38 yrs and was ALWAYS the dinky minority. + can't think of anything or anyone I have ever voted for in WA, OR, or CO that actually passed.

OR and WA west side edicts are a burden on businesses and farmers (I work with them every day).

If you're filing and paying your qrtly's and workmans comp... you get the picture.
There are just as many edicts that effect left leaning people negatively and cost them money. My entire career is based on managing the many unfunded mandates placed upon academia by conservative politicians. Some are necessary, some are not.

I have been in Oregon long enough to remember the chronic stagnation that existed here when it was a red state mostly concerned with resource extraction. I lived in rural Oregon back then and it was a narrow upper class of wealthy farmers and Mormons, and a huge underclass of people who never could find a decent job and lived hand to mouth.

This whole discussion depresses me because it reflects the insanely strident political views held by many Americans these days. America was much better when regular people didn't think about politics so much, and politicians worked across party lines to find solutions and held the same basic values. Now the two ends of the political spectrum hate each other and are at each others throats, and no one makes any effort to actually solve societal problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland