Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2023, 11:38 AM

11 posts, read 13,811 times

Advertisements

my partner and I want to possibly move to Oregon and work in portland. I would need to find a new job but my partner will transfer his job over to the area. We want to buy a house but would probably rent at first. What are housing costs in that general area ?
How’s the job market?
I currently manage an oyster bar and have been for 6 years so I have retail and food service experience.
We could probably manage a $2000/month for rent.
We want to find a place an hour or less away from Portland to live in and we would commute for work but we’re not sure which area would be best. We’re open to any area on the west side of the state that’s an hour or less away from Portland
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 01:14 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
Live close to your partners work location as best you can. Do you know where that will be, or will he WFH?

I'm not a big oyster fan, so I've never been to an oyster bar. Of course, a lot of seafood restaurants have an oyster bar included too. Anyway, here is a listing of some oyster bars in the Portland area and it includes a map.

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...Portland%2C+OR

I'd guess in food service and retail you can find quite a few jobs. $15/hour seems to be a fairly common off-the-street starting rate, so with experience I'm guessing you could negotiate more.

IN GENERAL - The west side of the Willamette River is considered nicer and so more expensive, but there are very nice areas on the east side to the river too. Depending on where your spouse will work, out west Hillsboro and Beaverton are very nice and have a lot of rental properties. Tigard and Tualatin are other options. On the east side there can be nice areas and rentals in NE and SE Portland, but you are more likely to run into rougher neighborhoods there. Then outside of Portland proper there are very nice options from Milwaukie all the way down to Canby. Mass transit will reach all these areas. The closer to Portland proper the better the route options and frequency of pickups/drop offs.

So, basically, can you find out where your partner's work would be located? Then I would suggest coming up for a visit so you can have wheels and feet on the ground and see the neighborhoods and potential properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland