Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:31 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet2256 View Post
Hi ,we are moving to Florida from Nj and I wanted to get some feedback on areas and jobs and hurricanes and insurence and all that good stuff. We are looking at Port St. Lucie and Vera beach area as we are told it is very nice there. My husband is construction and I am a sales manager. Although my husband will be simi retired and it is not as important for him to get a job I still want to work in sales retail. Can anyone give me some help. Thanks for your help.
Even retail is suffering here. The signs are no longer visible everywhere help wanted...like last year. Last year even Lowes was hiring. forget construction completely. I even hear the cashiers and baggers in the grocery store complaining about cut hours. This economy is no joke. You also have the issue of young people getting jobs first because they are the cheapest and take the most "abuse" so to speak LOL.

If you start your own thread you may get more feedback this is a chat thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 10:32 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
Wishing you all a Happy Safe Holiday!

Old 04-12-2009, 05:47 PM

578 posts, read 1,775,981 times
Speaking of no jobs in the area. I noticed they are building something big just west of the Home Depot on Gatlin beside I-95. Since there are no jobs in the area why would they be building something there? Since there are no jobs I wonder who is building it? Looked like more shops to me? Wait that would mean there would be jobs?

Old 04-12-2009, 06:01 PM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
Steve - Good thinking!

If it's shops, find out what stores and start applications/ applying online.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:53 AM

I already have a job. I was just responding because negative things were being said about a situation that may or may not exist. Sure the job market in PSL is down but to say there are no jobs is not right. I see places under construction all over town. Those places will eventually hire workers. A lot of places have opened in the last year and have hired a lot of people. What has happened is, yes a lot of people lost their jobs but I would venture to say that a great deal of them have already moved into other employment. Now it may be at a lower wage or in a job that they would not normally do but at least they are working. Despite everything that is going on in PSL with all of the foreclosures the city is still growing and has plans to continue growing right through the recession. People may have to redefine themselves in order to get a job but there are jobs if people are willing to work. If you get cut to part time find another part time job to fill the hours. I am sure there are plenty of those.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:03 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep111 View Post
I already have a job. I was just responding because negative things were being said about a situation that may or may not exist. Sure the job market in PSL is down but to say there are no jobs is not right. I see places under construction all over town. Those places will eventually hire workers. A lot of places have opened in the last year and have hired a lot of people. What has happened is, yes a lot of people lost their jobs but I would venture to say that a great deal of them have already moved into other employment. Now it may be at a lower wage or in a job that they would not normally do but at least they are working. Despite everything that is going on in PSL with all of the foreclosures the city is still growing and has plans to continue growing right through the recession. People may have to redefine themselves in order to get a job but there are jobs if people are willing to work. If you get cut to part time find another part time job to fill the hours. I am sure there are plenty of those.
It's a good idea to suggest people keep an eye out for new construction for jobs unless those places are specific like medical facilities.

But to suggest that "you're sure" there are plenty of jobs isn't really logical unless you know from experience or checking or something.

My podiatrist had over 400 applications LAST JUNE for ONE receptionist job. I've been looking for a year (not desperately but....).....the one job I "got" was at a local bakery deli, and the "try out" was fun and I have experience and was offered the job right away. UNTIL SHE WANTED TO PAY ME UNDER THE TABLE and I balked.

Besides being illegal it was stupid. There is a deli with a slicer involved and she'd have no workmans comp coverage but she didnt care.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:34 AM

265 posts, read 904,416 times
All one has to do is look at the classifieds in the local paper. Just one short year ago, the help wanted section was 2 pages long. Today it is barely 2 COLUMNS long.

PSL always has grandiose plans, but history proves they are not always good plans. Yes, things will improve when the technology center is fully operational, but the number of jobs that will provide is not a drop in the bucket compared to the people out of work.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:04 AM

You know PSL is really becoming a service industry community. I doubt there will ever be a very large employer in the area that will hire thousands of workers and drive unemployment way down. If people are not willing to reinvent themselves they will never fit into a community like PSL. In order to stay gainfully employed you have to have a "Walmart Greeter" plan. Doesn't mean that you have to take such a job but you first have to be willing to go to that level. I know someone who was a Senior Programmer for a giant software company. He lost his job making well over 100k after 20 years working for the company. He has been out of work for over 6 years now and turned into an Alcoholic and has nearly lost his family because he refuses to look for a job that does not pay as much as he was used to making. He could teach, he could open his own business or take a lesser job but he refuses. Jobs in PSL are no different. If Liberty Medical and QVC closed tomorrow I am sure people could find jobs with one of the other companies if they are willing to reinvent themselves and that may mean going back to school like I did. After 20 years in the Millitary I had no skills that I could transfer to the civilian sector. I took a job answering phones while I went to school and worked my way into a better job making great money. Another example is people who have a job that they could lose at anytime should be networking. I was just in Las Vegas and that is the capitol of transition jobs. The very moment you get a job in that town you have to make friends with anyone and everyone at other hotels in order to make sure you have the ability to have an in should you get laid off.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:45 PM

176 posts, read 510,417 times
Hi does anyone know anything about Vero beach im moveing there in August and am very interested to see what people think about it. Were a family and very family oriented do you think its for me? Any pros and cons would be great!!

Old 04-16-2009, 06:26 AM

Well from what I know Vero is a very limited place. That does not mean it is bad but don't expect a big city. It is a smal small small place very country oriented. I do not know the crime statistics but I do hear there is not a great deal of things for young people expecially Teens. If you want a quiet place and don't mind driving to get to big malls then Vero may be your place. I hope you love it. Make sure you have a good Real Estate person and don't jump at the first place because there are lots of homes to choose from at great prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach