Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 04:36 PM

3,288 posts, read 3,949,458 times

Advertisements

I've only been Jewish for 66 years, but I've never voted for a Democrat. My parents, brother, and all my cousins are democrats.

I haven't spoken to any of them in years. My parents are both dead, so they'll continue to vote democratic.

Will the current antisemitism on college campuses change any of their minds?

Old 05-01-2024, 04:40 PM

21,657 posts, read 31,280,569 times
My best friend is a gay, Jewish, male who traditionally voted blue. Last night, he told me he was voting red. And I certainly can’t blame him.

I, too, used to vote blue often. After the 2020 BLM/Antifa riots, that’s no longer the case.

Old 05-01-2024, 04:54 PM

562 posts, read 342,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I've only been Jewish for 66 years, but I've never voted for a Democrat. My parents, brother, and all my cousins are democrats.

I haven't spoken to any of them in years. My parents are both dead, so they'll continue to vote democratic.

Being Jewish doesn't mean you should somehow be aligned with the Republican party. There is a whole lot of anti-semitism on the right too. Besides, Jewish voters, like all others should vote on issues that matter to them and those that champion those issues, not on someones opinion on which party likes those of the Jewish faith more.

Old 05-01-2024, 05:04 PM

1,210 posts, read 629,248 times
I think what the democratic party stood for many years ago compared to today has changed dramatically. I'm not a historian but from the articles I have read about the history that seems to be the case.

Reagan was first a democrat then switched to republican for his own reasons, I think he admired Nixon???

I don't think religion has anything to do with which party a person votes for. I think people vote for the person who they feel has their best interests at heart.

Old 05-01-2024, 05:17 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,775,376 times
Why would Jewish people blindly switch to Republicans to vote? There's anti-semites on the Republican/right-side also, and probably in big numbers.

And those right wing dummies in Charlottesville holding torches and yelling, "Jews will never replace us" is not helping anyone.

Old 05-01-2024, 05:22 PM

25,875 posts, read 12,918,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
Being Jewish doesn't mean you should somehow be aligned with the Republican party. There is a whole lot of anti-semitism on the right too. Besides, Jewish voters, like all others should vote on issues that matter to them and those that champion those issues, not on someones opinion on which party likes those of the Jewish faith more.
Please provide evidence of your claim. The Right has been overwhelmingly in support of Israel & Jews for decades.

My best friend since 1977 is a non practicing Jew from S. FLA, & he's a Republican too...but he did switch ~20 yrs ago.

Old 05-01-2024, 05:30 PM

16,647 posts, read 8,660,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post

Fake news, you likely got or read via the ADL or other leftist organizations.

Old 05-01-2024, 05:38 PM

30,496 posts, read 19,263,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post

I have a Jewish friend from HS that amazingly is conservative and posts many conservatives memes, etc., he's the only Jewish conservative that I personally know. I think for there to be a major change in Jewish voters going Republican, there has to be an obvious Democrat effort to be antisemitic like many of the university protests.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:29 PM

78,552 posts, read 60,762,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Why would Jewish people blindly switch to Republicans to vote? There's anti-semites on the Republican/right-side also, and probably in big numbers.

And those right wing dummies in Charlottesville holding torches and yelling, "Jews will never replace us" is not helping anyone.
Well, I see your 1 example in the south....and raise you dozens of examples across the country.

The KKK types are small if not noticeable and of course reprehensible.

At this point, I'd say that hate of jews has swung left, it's not 1970 anymore. But hey, I'll let the voters describe that. The Jewish house of worship that I lived near in Chicago was vandalized and people assaulted not long ago...hmmm yep, an Islamic culprit.

So please, stop playing Jesse Smollett. It's 2024 and even most of the rednecks are chill now, the one I know is married to a black woman. There are still some white racists but well, there are lots of racists...you just won't admit to it.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:36 PM

78,552 posts, read 60,762,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I have a Jewish friend from HS that amazingly is conservative and posts many conservatives memes, etc., he's the only Jewish conservative that I personally know. I think for there to be a major change in Jewish voters going Republican, there has to be an obvious Democrat effort to be antisemitic like many of the university protests.
I think it is transitioning. I grew up in a very white, very small town and cannot begin to tell you how much attitudes have shifted in the past 40 years.

A while back a cousin and his black gf broke up and the entire family and extended family was upset that their relationship didn't work out.

So, what we have now is people our age or younger that grew up with bigotry now shaking our heads at *acceptable bigotry* if it's against jews or some other approved group.

P.S. I warned of this for decades here and other forums. People would claim "high ground" on bigotry because they don't have "money or power" and then claim that they cannot therefor be bigots. Hey, I can be racist....I'm oppressed! NO!

Oh Last note, the largest hate group in the US is located in Chicago now for 50 years or so. They REALLY hate jews, have deep ties to the Democratic party and are only 4-5miles from where the DNC convention is being held this year. So yeah, I think jewish people may be waking up to the transition after stuff like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies