Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 09:34 PM

50,449 posts, read 47,177,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
So we should kowtow to a bunch of radicalized college kids and vote against the nation's interests on topics like healthcare, environmental protections, labor rights, women's rights, education, and the list goes on? Nah.

Israel isn't even in my top 20 priorities as an American. And quite frankly, Trump lost a lot of my Republican relatives due to his implication that we should or do vote on Israel's interests above our own.
Are you trying to convince us you are American or care about it?

Old 05-01-2024, 09:42 PM

19,880 posts, read 18,165,037 times
Quote:
So we should kowtow to a bunch of radicalized college kids and vote against the nation's interests on topics like healthcare, environmental protections, labor rights, women's rights, education, and the list goes on? Nah.

Israel isn't even in my top 20 priorities as an American. And quite frankly, Trump lost a lot of my Republican relatives due to his implication that we should or do vote on Israel's interests above our own.
1. I don't like Trump either.

2. You are left of center and will hold your nose and vote for the party of chaos and freebies no matter what. That's OK but be honest about it.

2.1. Also is best not to posit your personal political views as in, "the nations best interest."

2.2. It seems what you really want is for me to pay for your healthcare etc.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:43 PM

Quote:
People on both sides who suddenly got a PhD in Middle Eastern studies yesterday seem to be completely in the dark about how Israel's elections work and that there have been massive protests against Netanyahu for years - but especially in the past year.
That's dissembling commentary. Nothing more.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Americans don’t vote for their best interest, they vote for whoever promises them the most free stuff and special treatment.
Most for sure do so.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:45 PM

50,449 posts, read 47,177,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

2. You are left of center and will hold your nose and vote for the party of chaos and freebies no matter what. That's OK but be honest about it.

2.1. Also is best not to posit your personal political views as in, "the nations best interest."

Ding, another for free, even if that means Americans pick up the tab.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:29 PM

3,288 posts, read 3,949,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
The Netanyahu government is antithetical to Jewish values. The Talmud teaches us that weapons may not be sold to those who use them criminally. Avodah Zarah 15b.
התלמוד אומר "אם מישהו בא להרוג אותך, קום והרג אותו קודם".

The Talmud says “If someone comes to kill you, rise up and kill him first.”

Old 05-01-2024, 10:30 PM

3,288 posts, read 3,949,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ding, another for free, even if that means Americans pick up the tab.
There's no such thing as free, someone always has to pay for it.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:50 PM

15,877 posts, read 21,475,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

I pay for my own healthcare, thanks. And likely pay more in taxes than you do since I'm in the top 10% of HHI in the country as a single income earner - something that I got with no handouts because even at my lowest they were never available to me.

But I also worked full time against doctor's orders and thanks to very flexible management while going through stage IV cancer - something that was misdiagnosed for 5 years because I did not have consistent access to health insurance. And my out of pocket expenses even with good insurance were more than my entire entry-level take home income.

Access to healthcare shouldn't be at the luck of the draw. I was lucky that I was able to make my way out of it - despite being set back over a decade. Many people are not so lucky, and it's a shame that folks have so little pride in their country that they let this continue to fester on. Fixing this problem is just as much rooted in my Jewish values as is supporting Israel - but the difference is that I am American, not Israeli, and so my first priority is for the betterment of America.

Old 05-01-2024, 11:10 PM

10,249 posts, read 15,959,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I've only been Jewish for 66 years, but I've never voted for a Democrat. My parents, brother, and all my cousins are democrats.

I haven't spoken to any of them in years. My parents are both dead, so they'll continue to vote democratic.

Will the current antisemitism on college campuses change any of their minds?
I hope they do. What many American Jews don't get is that evangelical Christians like myself and many in my community in Louisiana are among the most pro-Semitic people they will find. We have an Israeli flag flying in our church sanctuary and we regularly pray for Israel. And no its not because we think things in Israel must happen to bring about the End Times. The Rapture can happen anytime, nothing has to happen in Jerusalem to bring it about. So there is a lot of misinformation in the liberal media about why Christians support Israel. We do so because its in the Bible, for the same reason we are pro-life and oppose gay marriage and the transgender movement. We believe the Jews are the original inhabitants of the Holy Land have the rightful claim to it, not the Palestinians whose ancestors invaded from Saudi Arabia in the 700s during Muhammad's Islamic conquest.

Most Orthodox Jews are in fact Republican. The actual Jewish religion is pro-life and also does not support the transgender lifestyle.

I think most American Jews see themselves as an oppressed minority, but nobody else in the US sees them that way. The only people that don't see American Jews as white (the Mizrahi and black Jews in Israel really don't apply to the US) are the neo-Nazis and Klan types. So Jews are hated to them, but at the same time American Jews are hated by the BLM and illegal alien types and even white liberals that hate all white people and see Jews as another white group to be hated. I think Elon Musk should have articulated himself better but I understand the gist of what he was saying, how many American Jews have alienated themselves from mainstream America by standing with BLM and other leftist groups thinking they are part of that movement, and yet that movement doesn't welcome Jews at all and sees Jews as oppressors.

Last edited by Tom Lennox 70; 05-01-2024 at 11:22 PM..

Old 05-01-2024, 11:20 PM

29,609 posts, read 16,595,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
My best friend is a gay, Jewish, male who traditionally voted blue. Last night, he told me he was voting red. And I certainly can’t blame him.

I, too, used to vote blue often. After the 2020 BLM/Antifa riots, that’s no longer the case.
that's not happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.