Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 07:36 PM

25,863 posts, read 12,890,963 times

Advertisements

DeSantis doesn't help Trump win.

Tim Scott would be a much better pick.

DeSantis is looking for his next gig after his FLA Gov term ends.

I don't see DeSantis as a future Senator, or any kind of legislator. DeSantis is more of a do'er than a think'er.

He could head up a mass deportation effort as Mayorkis's replacement, if Trump wins.

Head of DOJ might be a good fit too, as mentioned above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 07:51 PM

32,110 posts, read 15,101,787 times
DeSantis is probably groveling.

Old 04-30-2024, 04:06 AM

1,276 posts, read 568,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Apparently they can be from the same state.

There are many misconceptions about the rules of a president choosing their running mate. There’s no law or regulation against a president and vice president of the United States being from the same state. The reason why some people mistakenly believe such a prohibition exists comes down to a particular aspect of the Electoral College system laid out in Article II of the U.S. Constitution.

https://www.history.com/news/can-the...the-same-state
The issue is with Electors and their inability to cast votes for both if both are from the same state. This is why Cheney changed his residence to Wyoming. Trump could stay listed as NY to avoid it. The issue would rear its head in a close race where Florida's votes could end up throwing the VP race into the Senate, and opening the possibility of a Democrat VP under a Republican President, and then watch the impeachment exercise kick off on Day 1.

More practically, it's just not a good idea because the candidates are too similar and won't help pick up any votes in bigger battleground states or among undecided voters.

I think we more likely see DeSantis in a cabinet role than VP if Trump is reelected.

Old 04-30-2024, 04:56 AM

30,198 posts, read 11,845,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
Then, why would they even meet?

Trump wants DeSantis' donors to give him money. Perhaps he needs to pay for more lawyers to handle all his legal troubles.

Trump Meets DeSantis Seeking to Tap Ex-Rival’s Donor Connections

Old 04-30-2024, 05:46 AM

13,697 posts, read 9,026,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Trump wants DeSantis' donors to give him money. Perhaps he needs to pay for more lawyers to handle all his legal troubles.

Trump Meets DeSantis Seeking to Tap Ex-Rival’s Donor Connections

Bingo. Follow the money.

As for the 12th Amendment:

“The electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for two persons, of whom one at least shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves.”

So, if Mr. Trump picked Governor DeSantis as his VP, when the Florida Electors cast their votes, they may cast their votes for Mr. Trump or Mr. DeSantis, but not both.

In the 2000 election, Mr. Bush the Younger chose Dick Chaney; both were residents of Texas. However, Mr. Chaney had a vacation house in Wyoming, plus he used to represent Wyoming in the US House, and so a few weeks before the election, he moved to Wyoming, getting a driver's license and declaring the state his residency. As such, the Texas electors could vote the Bush/Cheney ticket with no problem.

Since Mr. Trump has a home in New York State, he could move his residency back to that state.

However, I personally agree with the cited poster: Mr. Trump is seeking the DeSantis supporter's money. Indeed, the Super Pacs that supporter Mr. DeSantis may still have cash on hand to funnel to Mr. Trump's Super Pacs, which in turn are using much of the money to pay Mr. Trump's legal bills.

Today, at the trial, watch for Mr. Trump to repeat his claim that the trial is interfering with his ability to campaign. Of course, he went four straight days just now without having to be in the New York court, yet he did not campaign at all (at the least, he could have scheduled a campaign stop for Saturday, since court is never in session on Saturday).

Old 04-30-2024, 06:48 AM

59,216 posts, read 27,403,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Link: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-d...eting-florida/

Good to see this. I would love it if Trump picked DeSantis as VP.
"Good to see this. I would love it if Trump picked DeSantis as VP"

Said that from the start.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I'm sure it was just about fund raising and maybe a cabinet position. DeSantis isn't going to accept a vice president position, he's to smart for that.
"I'm sure"

And we should believe you, why?

Old 04-30-2024, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I think it's more likely Trump picks someone dull like Burgum or female or black.
"I think it's more likely Trump picks someone dull like Burgum or female or black."

Only dems do that!

Repubs pick the best PERSON, no matter the race, sex, etc.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Trump will not share the spotlight with anyone. Ain't happening...
And we should believe you, why?

Old 04-30-2024, 11:11 AM

50,923 posts, read 36,601,145 times
I think he'd be stupid to make DeSantis VP. The same people who would be happy with that, are already people who are going to vote for Trump. They need to expand Trump's tent to independents and moderates, and IMO he'd be smart to pick someone moderate to appeal to those voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies