Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 05:37 PM

5,902 posts, read 3,920,663 times

Advertisements

President Biden hit the campaign trail yesterday and stopped down in Florida to hold a "reproductive freedom" event in Tampa. Apparently, the Biden camp believes Florida has the possibility to be a battleground state in this year's election.

Interestingly enough, Biden remarked "If I have my way in the next 4 years, I will make community college free. It'll grow the economy and won't cost taxpayers."

How about getting government out of the student loan/education business? Privatize ALL education.

Old 04-24-2024, 05:41 PM

52,395 posts, read 52,898,843 times
Of course. More vote buying.

College should cost something, that way people have some skin in the game.

Old 04-24-2024, 05:51 PM

29,625 posts, read 16,635,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf5874 View Post
From my understanding the federal government gets their paychecks from tax payers. How exactly is it NOT going to cost tax payers?
Because Pell Grants are enough to cover a community college tuition. So instead of students being required to only take Debt counseling for get their Grants and Loans, they will probably now get finance counseling and be told which Community Colleges would allow them to go to school debt free.

Pell Grants made my first degree free so I know it can be done.

Old 04-24-2024, 06:00 PM

17,706 posts, read 14,821,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Because Pell Grants are enough to cover a community college tuition. So instead of students being required to only take Debt counseling for get their Grants and Loans, they will probably now get finance counseling and be told which Community Colleges would allow them to go to school debt free.

Where do Pell Grants get their funding?

Old 04-24-2024, 06:11 PM

26,064 posts, read 22,268,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

Rethink your answer. I am guessing your degree did not include a course in American Government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Where do Pell Grants get their funding?
The big money tree at the White House, or maybe a unicorn drops off the funds? I knew that you knew the answer, but I just had to expand on this.

https://www.fullerton.edu/financiala...of%20Education.

"The Federal Pell Grant Program provides need-based grants to low-income undergraduates and certain post-baccalaureate students (Credential Students) to promote access to post-secondary education. The program is funded by the U.S. Department of Education."

https://www.newamerica.org/education...ions%20process.

"The federal government spends nearly $79 billion annually on primary and secondary education programs. Much of the funding is discretionary, meaning it is set annually by Congress through the appropriations process. Funds flow mainly through the Department of Education although other federal agencies administer some funding for education related activities."

Also, there aren't going to be jobs for them when they get out with all the jobs that have left the country. I see that SD has apprenticeships available in a recruiting commercial that I saw last night, and if someone really wants a job, those that have apprenticeships usually actually lead to a job that pays decent. Yeah, you wouldn't be sitting at a computer, and you might get your hands dirty. Worth checking out for people who are interested in more than partying.

I would have to say that normally tech schools with certificate and AAS degrees fit their courses to match the needs in the community or surrounding communities, so they are good investment, but everyone needs to cover their own costs.

Old 04-24-2024, 11:48 PM

13,995 posts, read 8,156,991 times
Why doesn't he just come out and say he’ll make everything free…if you vote for him.

Old 04-25-2024, 05:50 AM

9,571 posts, read 4,395,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf5874 View Post
From my understanding the federal government gets their paychecks from tax payers. How exactly is it NOT going to cost tax payers?
Easy. The Magic Money Tree, something Dems fervently believe is a real thing.

Old 04-25-2024, 06:36 AM

21,258 posts, read 19,875,561 times
If a college degree is worth it, it can be paid off with a good paying job after graduating. If a person can't get a good paying job with their college degree, it is not worth it and the taxpayers should not be punished for the poor choices of others.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:35 AM
Status: "Wasting time in the internet, just like you." (set 4 days ago)

1,294 posts, read 668,356 times
Wow. He will make college free for 2 years, and it wont cost taxpayers? Only the lemmings will believe it.

Lol, at the Pell grant nonsense mentioned earlier.

Old 04-25-2024, 08:03 AM

6,445 posts, read 2,760,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I've always felt that a two year college degree program should be offered as part of the free public education system for those who want it. I attended vocational education school and studied electronics during my high school years and then had a successful career at a major corporation. A friend of mine studied HVAC at the same school and ran his own successful HVAC company for many years after graduating. More younger trade skill workers are needed to backfill those jobs as the experienced baby boomers are retiring from the field.
You do realize that nothing is "free". Unless you know of some magical money tree, the money for the "free" education system has to come from someone.

That someone is

Hint
Spoiler
The Taxpayers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies