Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 03:15 PM

46,319 posts, read 27,152,415 times

Advertisements

Didn't the SC change the wording of the bill to make it not seem a tax, of something like that?

(already proven)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 03:20 PM

5,347 posts, read 3,226,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalconsequence View Post
Gov't overreach is what is destroying our healthcare system, & Obamacare is a big part of the problem.

Get gov't out of healthcare, have citizens oversight of Docs, Pharma, Hospitals, & Insurers instead of gov't.
Capitalism is what is destroying healthcare. And I say this as a capitalist, and as someone who earns a living in one of the entities mentioned below. But let's be real here.

There is profit taken out of every input from the second you pay your premium until the second you pay your hospital bill. The only people healthcare works for are the shareholders.

You - Pay insurance, prescription, medical care
Insurance Company -> % to shareholders
Ambulance ride -> % to shareholders
Hospital -> % to shareholders
Medical equipment -> % to shareholders
Medical software -> % to shareholders
Prescription -> % to shareholders
Pharmacy to pick up prescription -> % to shareholders

The point being you spend your hard earned dollars which you believe to be earmarked for healthcare but at every step of the process* you're only increasing corporate values and dividends.

*Unless you choose a non-profit hospital.

Look at the corporate offices of Big Pharma or the Insurance industries. These big, beautiful buildings in expensive locations weren't a gift from God. These were paid for by your contribution for "healthcare".

Its crazy, to me anyway, the level of care this country enjoyed before everything became corporate and healthcare driven by lobbyists. You and I aren't benefitting from Obamacare or the Trump vaccine....those programs were bought and paid for by special interests.

Old 04-23-2024, 03:23 PM

45,247 posts, read 26,488,601 times
Alleged conservative justice Roberts thought so and that’s good enough for me.

Old 04-23-2024, 04:08 PM

50,880 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Exactly correct.
Would not have got by the SC if Roberts did not write Law from the Bench to change it.

More than doubled my premiums also with same coverage with much higher deductible and Max out of pocket.
That’s because it required insurers cover basic things like mammograms and chemotherapy. As well as pre-existing conditions, and to remove lifetime limits. Mine went up too, but I was grateful to have ACA when I was laid off. As I said in other threads, those who already had good insurance were against it, and those who didn’t were for it. Ask parents who had a three year old with cancer hit their “lifetime limit” after a year of chemo surgery and radiation how they feel about it, or parents with kids who were born with heart defects and couldn’t get covered at all.

Old 04-23-2024, 04:11 PM

46,319 posts, read 27,152,415 times
Who agrees the SC can change a law, provided to them, and then make it law?

Old 04-23-2024, 04:35 PM

27,169 posts, read 15,347,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Who agrees the SC can change a law, provided to them, and then make it law?
No one should.
That is what happened in this case.
Just what the Law was about does make it right.

Old 04-23-2024, 04:41 PM

3,536 posts, read 3,740,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Exactly correct.
Would not have got by the SC if Roberts did not write Law from the Bench to change it.

More than doubled my premiums also with same coverage with much higher deductible and Max out of pocket.
Mine as well, plus having to deal with the Great Recession on top of it. I had great insurance through my employer at the time, and was lucky enough to make it through two separate layoffs. But, Obamacare caused so many price increases the next few years that my company switched to an inferior plan via another insurance provider in order to keep costs down. What I then did was get a private plan that matched the coverage of the previous great plan, before Obamacare officially went into law, which is before all the choice plans went *poof*. I still have that private plan as it's grandfathered in, only because it would later meet existing Obamacare requirements. As the premiums have gone up so much as I have aged, I'd love to have more options for less coverage at a cheaper price like you used to be able to do. It's $420.67 per month, and that's with a 10K deductible. I can't reconfigure the coverage à la carte to meet my current expected needs; I only keep the private plan because it gives me flexibility if I get fired, quit or get laid off. As we know, health insurance only goes up every year, and it's definitely been doing that. Any Obamacare plans aren't going to be any cheaper, and may even cost me more! (They don't list pricing in my state unless you sign up for the exchange, so I have no gauge for current prices).

Pre-Obamacare you could still get plans without having to go through an employer, but now you can't even get a less coverage/cheaper plan if you wanted to because you have pay for comprehensive coverage that meets Obamacare metrics entirely. As long as other people "got theirs," though.

Old 04-23-2024, 04:43 PM

25,829 posts, read 12,868,345 times
Then why is capitalism destroying healthcare, but no other industry sector?

Do you think capitalism is the best economic system on Earth? If not, what is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Capitalism is what is destroying healthcare. And I say this as a capitalist, and as someone who earns a living in one of the entities mentioned below. But let's be real here.

There is profit taken out of every input from the second you pay your premium until the second you pay your hospital bill. The only people healthcare works for are the shareholders.

You - Pay insurance, prescription, medical care
Insurance Company -> % to shareholders
Ambulance ride -> % to shareholders
Hospital -> % to shareholders
Medical equipment -> % to shareholders
Medical software -> % to shareholders
Prescription -> % to shareholders
Pharmacy to pick up prescription -> % to shareholders

The point being you spend your hard earned dollars which you believe to be earmarked for healthcare but at every step of the process* you're only increasing corporate values and dividends.

*Unless you choose a non-profit hospital.

Look at the corporate offices of Big Pharma or the Insurance industries. These big, beautiful buildings in expensive locations weren't a gift from God. These were paid for by your contribution for "healthcare".

Its crazy, to me anyway, the level of care this country enjoyed before everything became corporate and healthcare driven by lobbyists. You and I aren't benefitting from Obamacare or the Trump vaccine....those programs were bought and paid for by special interests.

Old 04-23-2024, 05:01 PM

21,164 posts, read 19,761,393 times
Government should not be involved in health care at all (except for government employees and veterans).

Old 04-23-2024, 05:05 PM

5,958 posts, read 2,769,929 times
Was Obamacare constitutional or not? Your thoughts

That tax part was 100% illegal. The government cannot force you to buy things under threat of a tax penalty.

Fortunately that was finally ruled illegal and it's gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies