Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 09:12 AM

983 posts, read 514,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What's funny about what you quoted is that we're not "dependent" on foreign oil except as a trade of one type for another. The US is actually exporting oil.
I know, at this point that is true, but I wanted to focus on the dependency on that dirty foreign mining required from China and African (child labor?) countries to get the lithium, cobalt and manganese that goes into the EV batteries.

That part was conveniently glossed over....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 09:16 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
I know, at this point that is true, but I wanted to focus on the dependency on that dirty foreign mining required from China and African (child labor?) countries to get the lithium, cobalt and manganese that goes into the EV batteries.

That part was conveniently glossed over....
And those materials that are mined in Chile, then refined in China, then shipped here to battery plants don't just magically appear. Fossil fuel burning, ocean wildlife destroying, air polluting ships are used to transport this stuff around.

Old 04-04-2024, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And those materials that are mined in Chile, then refined in China, then shipped here to battery plants don't just magically appear. Fossil fuel burning, ocean wildlife destroying, air polluting ships are used to transport this stuff around.
Shhh......

The Klimate Kultis are starting to twitch.........

Old 04-04-2024, 09:30 AM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times
EV's are perfect for many retiries, thats me. I park in the garage, gas or electric. I no longer take trips except to fly. I don't have to stop for gas. I have charging set to stop at 80% and my car is always full. I charge with 110 volts so no installation cost.
My CA registation renewal for my 2018 Bolt is $310. My insurance actuall went down as my old car was old with few of modern safety features. Bolts cost about the same as a Civic or Corolla.
Regenerative braking one pedal driving sure is nice, no moving your leg around constantly.

Old 04-04-2024, 09:35 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
hybrids are a much better bet, and the manufacturers know it.

Ford to delay all-electric SUV, truck to focus on offering hybrid vehicles across its lineup by 2030

Old 04-04-2024, 09:41 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
BEVs are the wrong answer for the wrong question.

ICEs are not the evil culprit, nor is AGCC a real threat.
Frankly, there's not enough raw materials to do a 1:1 swap for 270+ million ICEs in the USA. (Ignoring world wide demand for the same raw materials)

If / when BEVs reach 10% - 15% of the vehicles on the road, the increased load on the utilities will be gruesome. In fact when you tally up all losses, a BEV is only more efficient if the power source is hydroelectric. And the increased cost for the rare earth materials, etc, etc, will cause the BEVs to be less economical.

And let's not forget the public subsidy of roads, partially paid for by taxes on gasoline. That cost will eventually have to be borne by the BEV owners. Cha-ching. Power bills rising. Road taxes rising. BEV prices out of sight.

If the ICEs are legislated off the streets, 85% of Americans will be grounded. Suburbia will be daid.
. . . :-:-: . . .
If government ceased its meddling, subsidies and penalties, we'd see a rapid return to rail based transportation in all forms. It's the most efficient form of land transport, and the cheapest (absent government meddling).
Electric traction rail would save 95% of the energy / fuel used to move cargo and passengers by pneumatic tire on pavement (coefficient of rolling resistance). Transitioning 80% - 90% of all transportation to rail would greatly reduce fuel consumption per capita, as well as boost the standard of living. Of course, those who got rich under the "Road Gang" will fight to prevent a renaissance of rail.

Them's the brakes... [pun intended]

Old 04-04-2024, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
EV's are perfect for many retiries, thats me. I park in the garage, gas or electric. I no longer take trips except to fly. I don't have to stop for gas. I have charging set to stop at 80% and my car is always full. I charge with 110 volts so no installation cost.
My CA registation renewal for my 2018 Bolt is $310. My insurance actuall went down as my old car was old with few of modern safety features. Bolts cost about the same as a Civic or Corolla.
Regenerative braking one pedal driving sure is nice, no moving your leg around constantly.
They do work for some people.

What did your Bolt cost to buy?

What is the expected life/replacement cost of the battery packs on your Bolt?

I am also retired since 2022, so no mandated daily commutes. I drive a 2007 Rav4 I bought for cash in 2016 for $9,000, it had 43K miles on it then. It only has 79K miles on it now and has never broken down, so it only costs me the routine maintenance I spend. I do a lot now, but short trips mostly. I go through a tank of gas a month I guess.

There is zero motive for me to buy an EV.

I am looking forward to when Toyota starts producing their small pick up next year (again called the Stout) as a competitor to the Ford Maverick, it is expected to be featured in ICE, hybrid, and perhaps a plug in hybrid model.

If the ICE model cannot tow up to 6K lbs like the Tacoma, I'll look for a used V6 Tacoma, just because Im retired, I have some expendable income, and would like another small pick up I can do some towing with.

Old 04-04-2024, 09:49 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
They do work for some people.

What did your Bolt cost to buy?

What is the expected life/replacement cost of the battery packs on your Bolt?

I am also retired since 2022, so no mandated daily commutes. I drive a 2007 Rav4 I bought for cash in 2016 for $9,000, it had 43K miles on it then. It only has 79K miles on it now and has never broken down, so it only costs me the routine maintenance I spend. I do a lot now, but short trips mostly. I go through a tank of gas a month I guess.

There is zero motive for me to buy an EV.

I am looking forward to when Toyota starts producing their small pick up next year (again called the Stout) as a competitor to the Ford Maverick, it is expected to be featured in ICE, hybrid, and perhaps a plug in hybrid model.

If the ICE model cannot tow up to 6K lbs like the Tacoma, I'll look for a used V6 Tacoma, just because Im retired, I have some expendable income, and would like another small pick up I can do some towing with.
You are, to an extent, part of the target market for an EV. Short trips, older vehicle which only needs routine maintenance. With an EV you wouldn't even have the latter.

Old 04-04-2024, 09:52 AM

8,939 posts, read 2,960,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
Despite EVs getting caught up in yet another US culture war, the train keeps moving and our pettiness won't stop it. The question is will it drag us along behind, or will we keep doing what we need to do to try and capture the manufacturing lead that China has taken and is determined to keep. Judging on how unfocused, backwards looking and shortsited we are as a nation, we will screw it up.

The EV Revolution Has Passed A Tipping Point

Quote:
You might not know if it you live in the United States where anti-EV fervor is rampant, but the EV revolution is alive and well in many parts of the world. In those places, it has zoomed past the 5% of sales mark that is commonly understood to be an important milestone on the so-called S curve. If you are not familiar with the term S curve, here’s a primer.
Also

Ford sales jump 6.8% in 1st quarter, spiked by hybrid and electric vehicles
Many places in the world are tiny countries with massive government regulations, limited territory, and where gasoline is taxed to high heaven.

The USA is not like the rest of the world.

And for us to keep increasing EV usage means we are EMPOWERING China, not taking some "lead" from them. The rare earth materials for batteries are largely there.

Old 04-04-2024, 09:54 AM

8,939 posts, read 2,960,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Nope. The enviro-weenies want to put an end to gas stations. "Hybrids" will still need fossil fuel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies