Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 08:25 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,499,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
interesting, this is off topic but lets say your research is 100% correct (its not, but lets go with that) Hamas could have handled this differently. The minute they focused on the innocent and helpless they fell under G-ds wrath...you likely being one of the chosen know this to be true. The minute they harmed a child, it became permanent - according to your scripture - if you believe in that sort of thing. Arent these kind of qualifications therefore dangerous?
I have never, ever been religious. My mother is Jewish, and according to Jewish law, that makes me Jewish. But I never thought of myself as Jewish, never really identified as such, so to me it's more a colorful side of my family tree than anything else. Moving on.

Killing innocents is wrong. Whether Hamas does it or Israel does it. So I guess the question really becomes "who started it" because neither side can claim to be Gandhi.

And that is something I never grappled with. But Israel started it. By occupying Gaza since 1967. By instituting a blockade so severe in 2005, it actually led to a rise in neonatal mortality for the first time in 50 years (since records) were kept in Gaza.

Hamas responded to an immoral occupation on Oct 7. It committed some immoral acts, but actually in proportion Hamas is a lot better than the IDF. Out of 1200 or so victims on Oct 7, 700 or so are civilians. That means that Hamas' civilian/combatant ratio is 60-70%. Not good obviously. But the IDF is worse. 90% of people killed in IDF air strikes/shelling are civilians and 60+% are women and children. More infants have been killed by IDF bombs in Gaza than the total civilian casualty ratio on Oct 7.

Facts don't lie. If killing civilians is a sin for Hamas, it's a sin for the IDF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 08:27 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
We've all been wrong about something big at some point. None of us likes to admit it, but we all know it's true for each and every one of us.

For instance, when I was in my early 20s, I read Ehrlich's book, The Population Explosion. It was very convincing. I was sure that the world was on the verge of running out of food. Mass starvation was coming and I was pretty vocal about stopping it.

Well, I was wrong, because Ehrlich was wrong and I believed his bull*. We were never in any danger of mass starvation and still produce so much food that we throw a lot of it away.

What have you been wrong about?
Got my draft notice Xmas eve. Said to myself, "I am NOT going to Viet Nam.

Enlisted instead, not in the Army, and ended up doing 2 tours in Nam.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:28 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
When I was younger I thought we'd end up in a nuclear exchange at some point. Somehow we've managed to avoid one.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:29 AM

10,479 posts, read 6,991,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I have never, ever been religious. My mother is Jewish, and according to Jewish law, that makes me Jewish. But I never thought of myself as Jewish, never really identified as such, so to me it's more a colorful side of my family tree than anything else. Moving on.

Killing innocents is wrong. Whether Hamas does it or Israel does it. So I guess the question really becomes "who started it" because neither side can claim to be Gandhi.

And that is something I never grappled with. But Israel started it. By occupying Gaza since 1967. By instituting a blockade so severe in 2005, it actually led to a rise in neonatal mortality for the first time in 50 years (since records) were kept in Gaza.

Hamas responded to an immoral occupation on Oct 7. It committed some immoral acts, but actually in proportion Hamas is a lot better than the IDF. Out of 1200 or so victims on Oct 7, 700 or so are civilians. That means that Hamas' civilian/combatant ratio is 60-70%. Not good obviously. But the IDF is worse. 90% of people killed in IDF air strikes/shelling are civilians and 60+% are women and children. More infants have been killed by IDF bombs in Gaza than the total civilian casualty ratio on Oct 7.

Facts don't lie. If killing civilians is a sin for Hamas, it's a sin for the IDF.
Missing a HUGE part of history there on why Israel 'occupied' Gaza.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:29 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
What have you been wrong about?
The "commie under every bed" aka, the US is one step away from becoming a commie nation.

I bought line that when I was young, and it was a heap of horse-pucky. Based on our involvement in Vietnam etc, the previous generation believed it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I didn't think people were dumb enough to vote for Biden, but I was wrong. Actually, i'm shocked at how brainwashed the entire left is.
Only 28% of Americans are Dems, so it wasn't them who put Biden in WH, it was the independents, and they did it only to keep Trump out. I was not wrong about that, because I could see how fed up people were with Trump.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:34 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,499,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Missing a HUGE part of history there on why Israel 'occupied' Gaza.
There is no huge history. Israel did a surprise invasion/blitzkrieg of its neighbor Egypt on 1967. There it took Gaza (as well as the Sinai, but it gave the Sinai back). It took 2 million Palestinians who were largely refugees from previous conflicts, and wanted nothing to do with Israel. It then formally began occupying them, building settlements (though it removed the settlements in 2005, it continued the occupation).

Old 02-28-2024, 08:35 AM

4,545 posts, read 2,269,608 times
Believing 2012 would be Armageddon/end of the world
Believing that Ross Perot or Ron Paul could actually win the presidential election
Believing Iraq had WMDs

I don't believe that Osama Bin Laden is actually dead. I believe that 911 was an inside job. I never believed the Covid narrative or the Ukraine narrative. I never got a Covid vaccine. I believe that childhood vaccines cause autism. I believe that Trump actually won the 2020 election. He was winning by a lot in the swing states so the dems shut down counting and brought out the fake ballots to win. No one will ever change my mind about that. I also believe that Obama was installed by one of our enemy countries and is actually still in control during Biden's administration. I also totally believe in UFOs. I am starting to question if we landed on the moon or not.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:35 AM

21,122 posts, read 19,707,707 times
I've been predicting that The Second Great Depression is imminent for the past few years, but the government keeps proving me wrong by printing more money, thus postponing the inevitable. I still think it will happen, but who knows how bad it will have to get before the house of cards falls. About 20% of revenue goes toward interest payment on the debt, and theoretically it would have to go to 100% to bankrupt the country, so we are only 1/5 of the way there.

Boy, I feel much better now. I think I'll go get a Chocolate Chip ice cream cone.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:37 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
When I was younger I thought we'd end up in a nuclear exchange at some point. Somehow we've managed to avoid one.
so far

Old 02-28-2024, 08:39 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The "commie under every bed" aka, the US is one step away from becoming a commie nation.

I bought line that when I was young, and it was a heap of horse-pucky. Based on our involvement in Vietnam etc, the previous generation believed it too.
They should have believed in it more. But that's for another discussion. If you had/have concerns about communism in the United States, your concerns were/are well founded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies