Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 05:36 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,760 times

Advertisements

America never has been the greatest country.So IMHO, you can't lose what you didn't have to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 07:13 AM

25,850 posts, read 16,547,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Right. I have a few friends in Germany too, and they seem to be pretty happy right now. In all fairness, they do have some worries with imigration there too, but all in all, they do seem to be a lot happier Country than we are.

I think that similar things could be said about several Countries around the World. That's why I'd like to hear what specifically makes us better than everyone else, and how do those specific things differ from what is available in other Countries?
The thing they really love about America is the wide open spaces. When Lars comes to visit next year I have a road trip planned to the Black Hills and Montana after. They just go nuts about the American west. P

Old 06-28-2012, 07:16 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,167,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Right. I have a few friends in Germany too, and they seem to be pretty happy right now. In all fairness, they do have some worries with imigration there too, but all in all, they do seem to be a lot happier Country than we are.

I think that similar things could be said about several Countries around the World. That's why I'd like to hear what specifically makes us better than everyone else, and how do those specific things differ from what is available in other Countries?

No other country in the world compares to the U.S. We influence the world. Other country's embrace our culture, style, movies, sports, music, swag, etc... Prime example: Madonna, Justin Beiber, MJ, and Jay-Z can sell out 100,000 seat arenas in the Phillipines, Germany, Moscow....

In some obscure village in Africa and a mega city in China, little boys and girls know the lyrics to a Little Wayne song.

In the last 15 years, America has given the world inventions like the I-Pod, I-Pad, I-Phone, Facebook, Google.

American sports such as football, basketball and baseball are watched and covered globally. Soccer is huge outside of the US but barely makes a dent here.

Hollywood is a global institution. The entire world knows our movies and actors.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:20 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,077,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
No other country in the world compares to the U.S. We influence the world. Other country's embrace our culture, style, movies, sports, music, swag, etc... Prime example: Madonna, Justin Beiber, MJ, and Jay-Z can sell out 100,000 seat arenas in the Phillipines, Germany, Moscow....

In some obscure village in Africa and a mega city in China, little boys and girls know the lyrics to a Little Wayne song.

In the last 15 years, America has given the world inventions like the I-Pod, I-Pad, I-Phone, Facebook, Google.

American sports such as football, basketball and baseball are watched and covered globally. Soccer is huge outside of the US but barely makes a dent here.

Hollywood is a global institution. The entire world knows our movies and actors.
Congratulations.... you have just made arguments that prove America sucks these days

Pop culture in America is the worst thing America offers currently

Old 06-28-2012, 07:20 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,463,654 times
That's what happens when Communists sieze control!

Old 06-28-2012, 07:42 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,472,453 times
Meh....American exceptionalism is still alive and well in incarcerations, arms deals, and obesity in the Western world.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,463,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Meh....American exceptionalism is still alive and well in incarcerations, arms deals, and obesity in the Western world.
Don't forget about the dumb and lazy youth too.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:53 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,867,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamestheFin View Post

What that bit doesn't mention is that we still have free speech compared to other places

and we arrest or disperse people with dissenting views at political rallies...

Despite the foolish Kelo decision expanding eminent domain, the US still has really strong property rights. Have you tried to start a business in the UK? I have and its a huge pain in the ass because of massive regulation including the property site. There lots of other examples of really mitigated property rights in Europe and elsewhere.

really? Have you jumped through the hoops we have? it is far from an easy process here

Sorkin/Daniel's character also shows a glaring lack of knowledge about the world. While not perfect, the US is vastly different from many nations and societies where the mobility is really restricted depending upon what class, religion, ethnicity, group you belong to. Malaysia's discriminatory Bhumiputra laws are just one of many examples that completely contradict Sorkin's claims. I don't think Sorkin gets how different Americans and American society really is from other places, even Europe. The racism, tribalism, ethnocentrism on display in Euro 2012 from Russia, Germany, and Spain are perfect examples of Europe being quite inferior to the US.
I didn't hear him compare the US to all the worlds nations or all the worlds policies. It is true there are many places far worse, but largely we are not what we once were. Walk into an airport and make a joke about hijacking and see what happens... free speach.... ummm not so much any more. I think the point is that we opt to fight each other while we loose the things that made us great. We will invest billions in a backa$$ward country but won't make sure Johnny can read.

Our people have looked to lawsuits as their means to get ahead... This is not a career path! We have raised generations of people that look for handouts and know no other way. I think this occurred largely because we wanted to segregate people out of society so we wouldn't have them "interact" with us. With our fear of "those people" came a lack of understanding and an us against them mentality vs... what can we do to solve a problem?

I hate to imagine how many years people spend planted in front of a TV having their minds worked into a mush... They are told what to think, what to eat, what to buy, how to be happy, who to vote for, They in short have stopped thinking. What better way to control the masses than give them "entertainment" Sadly people would rather do this than other more interactive activities.

The actor isn't wrong but he doesn't take the time to fully develop the thought.... that wouldn't be entertainment anymore. People can't handle learning in large doses.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:56 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,209,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Brilliant acting, and what he's saying is true. Quit acting like the US is the most prosperous nation in the world.

America is not the greatest country anymore - "The Newsroom" - YouTube

the USA might not be the most prosperous country anymore, but it is still the greatest country.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:59 AM

3,974 posts, read 2,576,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Come on, you can read this forum and see how polarized we have become. My parents generation was the greatest generation. We don't hold a candle to them. They didn't outsource jobs, they didn't reward idiot women who get knocked up by 10 different guys with a check every month. They didn't want to be a military power, but they became the biggest, most badass power when they needed to become one and they defeated Germany and Japan.

I recently looked through the 1940 census for the town my parents grew up in. There was one person, ONE listed as divorced in a town of about 3000. What do you think that ratio would be today?

We are a shadow of what we once were. Anyone who says different is nuts.
Just because there was just one divorce, that doesn't make 2998 happy people. The divorce rate became acceptable- families didn't have to stay together at all costs.

I also want to make a comment about the greatest generation. I believe they were ordinary people. Some great, some just average and some less than average. But if they were the true greatest, why didn't they teach the next generation to be great too? And that generation would have been able to teach the next... and so on. I am not saying they weren't great but if we keep putting people into boxes, this is good, that is bad... we do ourselves disservice.

A better question would be:

What can I (we) do today to make the day better? For others and myself... how can I act to be a good citizen and caring friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies