Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:34 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times

Advertisements

This is absolutely the greatest country, but not if we judge people to our so called standards and feel superior to them. This is our downfall and it will come back to haunt us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 10:37 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
wow that was pretty good till then end plus kids pulling out their I-phones to Film it is another pet peeve when record everything since they should listen not try to get hits on youtube or think watching it on their laptop later will make something better.

Well atleast they are the ones that will have to fix this mess because my Generation spent the fighting a bunch of wars an and we have had enough and need time to take a break but atleast had the late 70's, 80's and 90's to grow up in because those were some good decades and things were looking up and people were postive and dare I say happy.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:40 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
This is absolutely the greatest country, but not if we judge people to our so called standards and feel superior to them. This is our downfall and it will come back to haunt us.
Come on, you can read this forum and see how polarized we have become. My parents generation was the greatest generation. We don't hold a candle to them. They didn't outsource jobs, they didn't reward idiot women who get knocked up by 10 different guys with a check every month. They didn't want to be a military power, but they became the biggest, most badass power when they needed to become one and they defeated Germany and Japan.

I recently looked through the 1940 census for the town my parents grew up in. There was one person, ONE listed as divorced in a town of about 3000. What do you think that ratio would be today?

We are a shadow of what we once were. Anyone who says different is nuts.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:42 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,172 times
Does it matter. It's a clip from a GD sitcom.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Does it matter. It's a clip from a GD sitcom.
I think it's even worse. It takes an actor in a sit com to tell the truth because we don't have a "leader" with that much charisma or guts to actually tell that truth on camera.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:45 PM

You don't need a weatherman to see which way the wind blows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think it's even worse. It takes an actor in a sit com to tell the truth because we don't have a "leader" with that much charisma or guts to actually tell that truth on camera.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:46 PM

589 posts, read 850,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
My cousins in Germany have it pretty good right now. One of them works in a factory and drives a tour bus part time. His wife doesn't work at all. They live in a really nice little house. They have national health care and not many worries really.

Right. I have a few friends in Germany too, and they seem to be pretty happy right now. In all fairness, they do have some worries with imigration there too, but all in all, they do seem to be a lot happier Country than we are.

I think that similar things could be said about several Countries around the World. That's why I'd like to hear what specifically makes us better than everyone else, and how do those specific things differ from what is available in other Countries?

Old 06-27-2012, 10:47 PM

90 posts, read 106,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Brilliant acting, and what he's saying is true. Quit acting like the US is the most prosperous nation in the world.

America is not the greatest country anymore - "The Newsroom" - YouTube
Meh... a lot of liberal talking points often used to justify bigger, more intrusive govt, financial waste, etc. It's rather typical of Aaron Sorkin's other shows. I'm surprised the diatribe isn't a recycled one from the West Wing. All of it lazy and misleading.

Let's take the issue of asserting that other countries have the same levels of 'Freedom' that the US does.

What that bit doesn't mention is that we still have free speech compared to other places mentioned like Canada which, well not so much cf Mark Steyn and Ezra Levant. Add to that the UK, Austria, and more and more European countries that have actively prosecuted critics of Islam. Hell, the UK prosecuted a karaoke bar for playing 'Kung Fu Fighting' while some Chinese guy was walking by and was offended.

Despite the foolish Kelo decision expanding eminent domain, the US still has really strong property rights. Have you tried to start a business in the UK? I have and its a huge pain in the ass because of massive regulation including the property site. There lots of other examples of really mitigated property rights in Europe and elsewhere.

Sorkin/Daniel's character also shows a glaring lack of knowledge about the world. While not perfect, the US is vastly different from many nations and societies where the mobility is really restricted depending upon what class, religion, ethnicity, group you belong to. Malaysia's discriminatory Bhumiputra laws are just one of many examples that completely contradict Sorkin's claims. I don't think Sorkin gets how different Americans and American society really is from other places, even Europe. The racism, tribalism, ethnocentrism on display in Euro 2012 from Russia, Germany, and Spain are perfect examples of Europe being quite inferior to the US.

I could go on and on and on about the lazy and misleading statements made by Sorkin's character.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:47 PM

589 posts, read 850,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post

What specific things make us the greatest Country?

Old 06-27-2012, 10:48 PM

I like to say GD and Eff and Sh##. I learned those words early in life.

Aside from the cussing, I have no idea what that show is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies