Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 06:13 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times

Advertisements

Just a heads up incase you don't want to pay the dime bag. Yeah, that is a pun.

https://nextpittsburgh.com/environme...arts-saturday/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2023, 06:19 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,052,646 times
those are not 'single use', though.

for a lot of people who ARE aware of and concerned for the natural environment, and those who actually follow through with personal habits that limit plastic, toxic, or metals waste, those bags are perfect for trash collection in the home. that is because they are not a heavy ply.

what is one to do now when putting out their home's trash? remember, for those already trying to live with minimal negative impact, there is probably little un-recycleable trash generated each week, hence the usefulness of the ordinary plastic bag.

alternatives? a heavier plastic bag, like Hefty, Glad, etc.?
or, paper - but that could mean a problem with odor, filth, rats, raccoons, insects, and so on. yes, trash cans can have the lids placed on them, but if toppled in the wind, or by scavengers, at least the tied plastic bag within the can will contain its contents....a paper bag will have all that spill out.

if strassburger really wants "culture change", could she maybe start with the gun culture and young people in this city? or the problem with non-tax paying entities using so much capital and real estate?

oh wait - is there enough funding to get that bridge in schenley park at least opened before 2050?

Old 10-12-2023, 05:27 AM

748 posts, read 339,229 times
A lot of people use reusable bags now. It's just easier than the clutter of plastic bags.

Old 10-12-2023, 07:06 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,052,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_c55 View Post
A lot of people use reusable bags now. It's just easier than the clutter of plastic bags.
what do you use to take out the trash from your home?

Old 10-12-2023, 09:05 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,468,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Just a heads up incase you don't want to pay the dime bag. Yeah, that is a pun.

https://nextpittsburgh.com/environme...arts-saturday/
They were nickel bags when I was in high school.

Old 10-12-2023, 09:07 AM

22,572 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_c55 View Post
Exactly!

from the city website:
Why ban plastic bags?
Americans use an estimated 100 billion plastic bags per year. These bags are often used only once and are rarely recycled properly, leading them to litter our streets and sidewalks, clog recycling machines and storm drains and eventually increase the presence of microplastic in our water and soil.
Banning plastic bags and promoting the use of more sustainable alternatives will contribute to the reduction of plastic waste in our communities and help create a cleaner and healthier city for all residents.

Old 10-12-2023, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Exactly!

from the city website:
Why ban plastic bags?
Americans use an estimated 100 billion plastic bags per year. These bags are often used only once and are rarely recycled properly, leading them to litter our streets and sidewalks, clog recycling machines and storm drains and eventually increase the presence of microplastic in our water and soil.
Banning plastic bags and promoting the use of more sustainable alternatives will contribute to the reduction of plastic waste in our communities and help create a cleaner and healthier city for all residents.
Remember the ban is due to the "I don't care" people. Responsible people will recycle and reuse them, but I digress. We seem to always live to the lowest common denominator.

I also want to point out the signs I have seen, there is a charge for regular bags at 10 cents a pop, so I suspect if you have a double bag it is 20 cents. Have a big order you might be in for another buck tacked onto your already expensive order. Inflation is sure real and I do fee for the lower middle. What are the people living off working people going to do with that food stamp thing? They will have to pay for bags now and those people never have their own bags it seems. Hope they have a few dimes in their pocket, and not dime bags.

FWIW, I don't mind it at all as it makes me remember my bags and I want to be good about it. It isn't the money as much as it is the principle of paying for a bag, so I am more apt to remember.

Old 10-12-2023, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
what do you use to take out the trash from your home?
Everyone is using plastic of course. I do want to point out that Fox Chapel doesn't allow bags for recycling, so in other words we now have loose recycling in our cans and it can't be in a bag of any kind. Sort of makes sense as if it recyclable, it should be pretty clean anyway. Are other areas doing this?

Old 10-12-2023, 08:47 PM

1,060 posts, read 543,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
those are not 'single use', though.

for a lot of people who ARE aware of and concerned for the natural environment, and those who actually follow through with personal habits that limit plastic, toxic, or metals waste, those bags are perfect for trash collection in the home. that is because they are not a heavy ply.

what is one to do now when putting out their home's trash? remember, for those already trying to live with minimal negative impact, there is probably little un-recycleable trash generated each week, hence the usefulness of the ordinary plastic bag.
Im in NYC where we've had the bag ban for a few years. When I go grocery shopping I take a few reusuable bags.

but for trash , I'm with you - I like the cheap super thin grocery store bags so what I do is buy them on Amazon, I think I got 1,000 bags for $30 so per bag they are much cheaper than a box of Hefty or Glad.

I don't really mind the bag ban. And honestly it's easier to buy 1,000 bags I know I;ll use only for trash, than it was to keep track of all the used plastic ones I used to get and have to try to stuff into a cabinet.

go on Amazon and search for t-shirt bags as that's what they're called for some reason

Old 10-13-2023, 03:49 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Everyone is using plastic of course. I do want to point out that Fox Chapel doesn't allow bags for recycling, so in other words we now have loose recycling in our cans and it can't be in a bag of any kind. Sort of makes sense as if it recyclable, it should be pretty clean anyway. Are other areas doing this?

Not bagging recyclables (cans, bottles and such) is pretty standard in most places. The bags jam up the sorting machines. Putting newspapers/other paper in a craft (brown grocery bag) is usually allowed as is putting branches and yard waste in those tall paper bags.

As an aside, while I recycle and have for longer than it's been mandated (like when I lived in Pennsylvania forty years ago) the way it's done has become a joke.

It was sold as a revenue generator for jurisdictions (collect the recycling and sell to a recycler) it actually transitioned to costing jurisdictions to do it, or if you pay for private pickup you pay an additional charge.

The reason is because the recycled items started to become comingled so they have to be sorted at the recycling center instead of being separated for pick up.

It's also become too successful and there aren't enough buyers for all the recyled product and so it eventually goes to a landfill anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh