Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:36 AM

20 posts, read 67,125 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family is planning a move to the greater Pittsburgh area in June of this year and I have pretty much narrowed down our search to the Mt.Lebo/USC area due to a number of factors (location for both of our jobs, schools, etc). While I have come across an abundance of data regarding the quality of the acadmics in these areas, I am wondering if anyone has any feedback regarding how easy/difficult it is for new families to integrate into the communities. I have a daughter who will be starting 6th grade and we currently live in a smaller suburb of Boston (about 13k) that is very welcoming to new families; we moved here 3 years ago and she had no problem making friends/fitting in.

As everything I am reading about the Mt.Lebo area sounds too good to be true, I'm just wondering if there are any negatives people could come up with in regard to moving to this area with a middle schooler.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 09:39 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
It's tough to find a good butler in that area.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:45 AM

Ha! Thanks - I will definitely keep that in mind!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:49 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
The police do a great job keeping the community safe, but get your speedometer checked and follow the rules of the road to a "t" or you will be pulled over. If you drive a German car, prepare for profiling. I'm not exaggerating in the least.

Mt Lebo is very clean, streets/roads are in great shape. You really see the tax dollars at work

Old 01-10-2012, 09:51 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Before Yac comes on here, I better make a comment in line with the thread. I lived in Lebo for 2 years and then in Dormont right on the border for a few more. Great area, schools are excellent, municipal services are top notch. No doubt someone will follow and talk about how stuck up everyone is, not true, after all, I lived there. Then again...

Old 01-10-2012, 10:00 AM

Any thoughts on the younger Mt. Lebo set though? The town we live in now is pretty middle-upper class, so I am used to dealing with SUV-driving moms wearing Lulumon to the morning rec basketball games, but I'm more interested in the youth. Anyone know if new kids are welcomed or if the transition is made more difficult by cliques, bullying, etc? Seems like a good number of families moving into the area each year - is this accurate or is the town mostly full of families who have been there forever?

Old 01-10-2012, 10:06 AM

Also! Is the Mt.Lebo school system one in which an "average" kid will get lost/forgotten about? My daughter is very middle of the road and I am concerned that moving to a larger district will contribute to her not getting the attention she will need to succeed. I have seen some larger districts in the Boston area in which if you are gifted or have special needs, you had better be an independent learner, because the resources just aren't there for you.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:18 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
No doubt someone will follow and talk about how stuck up everyone is, not true, after all, I lived there. Then again...
Regardless of whether it's true or not (not that snootiness can really be proved or measured), there are a good number of people that will judge you when you tell them you live in Mt. Lebo. I'll admit that I tend to stereotype people in Mt. Lebo as financially and socially overextended, trying too hard to "make it" and keep up with the Joneses. It's not just because it's a suburb either, it's something specifically stereotyped to Mt. Lebanon.

It's not really a huge negative, but it's something to consider for the OP. If the kids are anything like the adults that I know from Mt. Lebanon, it isn't a social situation that I'd want to toss a kid into.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:21 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flutterbyu View Post
My daughter is very middle of the road
An honest parent in Mt. Lebo? You deserve a rep point.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:44 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
So speaking as a non-native myself, we don't have a ton of in-migrants in Pittsburgh, and a lot of those are clustered in certain parts of the City (like near the hospitals and universities). But if I had to guess where outside the City you would find more in-migrants than usual for this area, Mt Lebanon would be high on my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh