Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 07:53 PM

7 posts, read 10,155 times

Advertisements

I have taken a job in Pittsburgh but will not be relocating my family until the school year ends. So I have some time to spend in the area to "scope out" where we plan to live. As well as start house hunting and be patient so I can find what works for us.

From much of our research (which has been heavily influenced by this forum) we are heavily leaning toward the Mt Lebanon/USC area. Last week I decided to drive out there after work (from Downtown) and I didn't exactly get the feel from driving through the area that it was as "walkable" and "accessible" as I was expecting. It's very possible that I wasn't in the right area and didn't give it the time necessary to see what's going on. So I want to try it again, but with a plan. A plan I hope to put together with feedback from this group.

Here is what I'd like to accomplish:

1.) Find an area that's in Mt Lebanon/USC, drive out in the evening after work.
2.) Have dinner
3.) Walk the area around where I've eaten checking out shops, houses, etc

To be even more effective, I'd really like to do this without having to drive there... I'd like to take the T from my office into the area to know what that is like also. I'd be very interested in being able to utilize the T rather than to drive into downtown and park. If I could add that to my excursion, I'd love to. If it matters, I would be coming from sixth ave downtown, right where the PNC towers are.

Thank you in advance for your input/insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 09:55 PM

137 posts, read 274,964 times
You can take the T to Dormont Junction and walk over to the Beverly Rd area of Mt. Lebanon (several casual restaurants there) or get off at Mt. Lebanon and eat on Washington Rd. and walk around that area. There are several smaller stops in Mt.L but those are the two that I'd plan to go to if you wanted dinner first. It'll be hard to get much of a feel of anything, I'm afraid, as it's so dark.

My husband walks to the T to go downtown from Mt. Lebanon. It's not the fastest way to do things (takes him almost 45+ min each way between the walk/wait/ride). We're debating having him drive to the T (if he could get a spot at some decent time... so far 7am is too late) or just pay to park downtown. But that is very $$$. So it's not all sunshine and roses, but you can make it work for sure. We've been here a month now and still only have one car and it's been fine.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,133,745 times
USC isn't walkable. Of the two, only Mt. Lebo is walkable.

You can get to Mt. Lebo from town via the liberty tubes. Go straight afterwards. Bear to your right at a Y road near a McD's (on right). The first business district you drive through is Dormont. The second business district you drive through is Mt. Lebo. If you end up where the road turns into a four lane highway with malls, you've gone too far and you're in USC. Turn around and the first business district you see is Mt. Lebo.

Here's google directions from downtown to Michells Fish Market Restaurant in Mt. Lebo: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Pi...via=1&t=m&z=12

Old 12-12-2011, 06:43 AM

675 posts, read 2,100,236 times
If you're looking for a specific agenda, I'd second the Beverly shops idea. Head over to Cafe io for a nice, casual dinner, and take a walk around the area to check out the housing. While it's not Manhattan, there are some nice little shops/restaurants on that block of Beverly, and the housing stock nearby is quite nice (I prefer the area North/Northwest of Cafe io). It's also walkable to the Elementary School, which has tennis courts, basketball courts, field, etc.

If you ended up in this area, the T would be a 10-20 minute walk, depending on where you buy, and the Washington Road area (the heaviest concentration of shops/restaurants) would be about the same walking distance.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:03 AM

264 posts, read 493,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
If you ended up in this area, the T would be a 10-20 minute walk, depending on where you buy, and the Washington Road area (the heaviest concentration of shops/restaurants) would be about the same walking distance.
It would be about a 10-20 minute walk from the Dormont T station to the Beverly Road business district, but the Mt. Lebo T stop is adjacent to the Washington Road shops and only takes a minute to walk up the stairs and along the walkway to the street.

Unless you don't mind a decent walk in the dark and cold, I'd stick to Washington Road, as there are more places to see and potentially visit, and as I said it has a T stop that's literally right there.

As far as driving up West Liberty...there really isn't a Y in the road anymore near the McDonald's, as the recent reconstruction now provides 2 lanes of traffic through this intersection...so unless you get in the left turning lane, you'll still be headed in the right direction. And someone mentioned "4 lanes and shopping malls"...be aware that the entire stretch of road is 4 lanes, despite how tight it might feel driving up Washington Road...it's still 4 lanes. Also be aware that the Dormont/Mt. Lebo BD's are sort of merged and it'd be hard for someone new to know where one ends and the other begins. The area you will be most interested in is roughly between Bower Hill Rd and Castle Shannon Blvd.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:05 AM

659 posts, read 1,146,839 times
I would take the T to the offical Mount Lebanon stop, where there is ALOT more shopping, restuarants to explore and there is also a Howard Hanna right at the T stop, they could probably give you a ton of information there, show you rentals or even homes to buy...and all of Mount Lebanon is safe and clean, you would not have to worry about where you lived there...good luck!

Old 12-12-2011, 10:19 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,133,745 times
The OP said he wants to drive there.

Thanks for the update on the construction improvements near McD's, West Liberty Avenue!

Old 12-12-2011, 11:05 AM

Thank for the feedback. This definately helps.

Based on the comments about walk time, can I deduce that the T ride should be about 30 mins from downtown to the Mt Lebanon stop? I'm right at the Wood Street Station.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:07 AM

Also regarding USC not being walkable. Is it difficult to do the park/ride thing in USC as mentioned in Mt Lebanon? Ie is there ample parking or do you need to arrive early to secure a spot?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:28 AM

675 posts, read 2,100,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmutt View Post
Thank for the feedback. This definately helps.

Based on the comments about walk time, can I deduce that the T ride should be about 30 mins from downtown to the Mt Lebanon stop? I'm right at the Wood Street Station.
It takes 22 minutes to get from Wood Street Station to the Mt. Lebanon Park 'n' Ride on the T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh