Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 04:24 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I am considering a "Give Us Your Best Shot" contest instead of the "in your Home State" Contest.

Also perhaps limiting it to one photo.

I have had a lot of "Home States". The only thing that prevented me from posting some of those photos was they were mostly family photos and over 30 days old...

Comments appreciated...

Rich
Similar to my suggestion of "show us your best shot", I still think we should keep the 30 day rule though, that way people aren't dredging up photos of times past and it keeps people in "contest mode" by choosing something they've done within the last 30 days. I'd also suggest, that aside from a title a bit about the location of the photo too. I also like the limit of 1 photo instead of 2. Doing this way, it lets us pick any topic, shoot anywhere you are but keeps it fresh by still having the 30 day rule.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-19-2014 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 07:48 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Similar to my suggestion of "show us your best shot", I still think we should keep the 30 day rule though, that way people aren't dredging up photos of times past and it keeps people in "contest mode" by choosing something they've done within the last 30 days. I'd also suggest, that aside from a title a bit about the location of the photo too. I also like the limit of 1 photo instead of 2. Doing this way, it lets us pick any topic, shoot anywhere you are but keeps it fresh by still having the 30 day rule.
^^ This right here ^^

Change the name to include anywhere you are, and open subject. Keep the photos fresh and in the month of the contest. There is no challenge in digging out a few stellar shots taken over the course of many years. Plus it levels the playing field a bit for the new comers to Photography. It would make it so you would have to still look for a good shot, then capture it during the month... which is what the contests really are for right. Get everybody out shooting and not sitting in front of the computer/TV.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:29 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
If it's to be changed to where are you now, why not: Your best shot in the last 30 days????
Quote:
I am considering a "Give Us Your Best Shot" contest instead of the "in your Home State" Contest.
Quote:

Yes similar... I might have seen that and it stayed in my mind...

Rich

Old 11-12-2011, 08:31 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,558,546 times
Quote:

Also perhaps limiting it to one photo.

I have had a lot of "Home States". The only thing that prevented me from posting some of those photos was they were mostly family photos and over 30 days old...

Comments appreciated...

Rich
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
^^ This right here ^^

Change the name to include anywhere you are, and open subject. Keep the photos fresh and in the month of the contest. There is no challenge in digging out a few stellar shots taken over the course of many years. Plus it levels the playing field a bit for the new comers to Photography. It would make it so you would have to still look for a good shot, then capture it during the month... which is what the contests really are for right. Get everybody out shooting and not sitting in front of the computer/TV.
I'm in agreement; new theme, same rules. Costco has an annual contest of the same nature.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:08 PM

Default Rules Change

New Rules So Far To Be Posted In Current "in your Home State" Contest - Place your photos in this thread

1. Title changed to "Show Us Your Best Shot.

2. Only one photo per person (Maybe change it for next contest)

3. Everything else subject to change.

4. If you want to delete an entry for a new photo, put your new photo in the thread and I will delete your previous one...

Everybody happy? Discussion continues here.

Rich

Old 11-14-2011, 07:02 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Quote:
Quote:
^^ This right here ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I'm in agreement; new theme, same rules. Costco has an annual contest of the same nature.
I agree, keep the 30 day rule.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:47 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
Similar to my suggestion of "show us your best shot", I still think we should keep the 30 day rule though, that way people aren't dredging up photos of times past and it keeps people in "contest mode" by choosing something they've done within the last 30 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I agree, keep the 30 day rule.
Quote:
Yep. And I'm glad most of us agree to this. However, the challenge to ensure people don't dredge up photos of the past, would also require that EXIF in the posted pictures is not hidden or edited.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:52 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Yep. And I'm glad most of us agree to this. However, the challenge to ensure people don't dredge up photos of the past, would also require that EXIF in the posted pictures is not hidden or edited.
Doesn't teh EXIF info get removed by some editing applications? If someone resizes a huge file, for example, from what I understand it can happen. Meanwhile we have the honor system. I believe most people will/do honor the honor system.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:00 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Doesn't teh EXIF info get removed by some editing applications? If someone resizes a huge file, for example, from what I understand it can happen. Meanwhile we have the honor system. I believe most people will/do honor the honor system.
I've never seen any of my pictures lose EXIF information, but I can suppress some information (like GPS information that my camera can post). However, some applications like Photoshop will allow people to edit or remove EXIF information. May be people posting pictures without EXIF can share if they are doing it intentionally, or the editing software.

We've worked on a honor system for as long as I remember. Unfortunately, the moderator is often flooded with silly questions, bickering and validity of photographs, so in practice, there are some people with issues with an honor system. One person went as far as asking the moderator (about my photograph) questioning whether I took the picture.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
However, the challenge to ensure people don't dredge up photos of the past, would also require that EXIF in the posted pictures is not hidden or edited.
If you are going to have someone which cheats, then that rule would not really stop them.

Until recently I used a very old version of Paint Shop Pro (V5) which striped EXIF (Exchangeable image file format)data because it was created before EXIF existed...

And there are some who are still using film, which has no EXIF data...

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests